Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gel coat repair

Keeper

Okay since I cannot search for gel coat and find any results, I waded through 17 pages to find no one has asked the question.

"How do you repair a cracked gel coat?" I am months away from even starting to play with this, but it has bugged me since I seen it.

And since I know pictures will be asked for...here it is.

gelcoat 002.jpg

Next dumb question. Can you LIGHTLY sand blast the bad spots out? I am pretty sure I will be told to sand it, but figured WTH might as well ask :)

Okay since I cannot search for gel coat and find any results, I waded through 17 pages to find no one has asked the question.

"How do you repair a cracked gel coat?" I am months away from even starting to play with this, but it has bugged me since I seen it.

[attachment=4492:gelcoat 002.jpg]

Next dumb question. Can you LIGHTLY sand blast the bad spots out? I am pretty sure I will be told to sand it, but figured WTH might as well ask :)
looks like to me all you did was sand threw the primer if so finish all your sanding and reprimer if you cna feel the fiberglass or it os featherd up
just go over it with a filler and resand don't even think about sand blasting it will eat every thingyou can use gazing putty if you want be you need to prime it first

looks like to me all you did was sand threw the primer if so finish all your sanding and reprimer if you cna feel the fiberglass or it os featherd up
just go over it with a filler and resand don't even think about sand blasting it will eat every thingyou can use gazing putty if you want be you need to prime it first

:) I figured that on the sandblasting.

I have not touched the body in any way, this is how I got it. I never noticed it until this spring. Maybe it did not like the -40 temps this year.

:) I figured that on the sandblasting.

I have not touched the body in any way, this is how I got it. I never noticed it until this spring. Maybe it did not like the -40 temps this year.
I sanded threw mine in several places like that and i just reprimed it an resanded several times and then painted it and you can't see it

[attachment=4492:gelcoat 002.jpg]

www.rayplex.com , www.eagerplastics.com ,www.interplastic.com These are a few sprayable gelcoat suppliers I have used;mainly eager through local jobber, do not blast...sand only.When I have encountered conditions such as yours on streetrods or corvettes,I have used marglass over the areas with excellent long term satisfaction.Primers over time tend to allow fiber strand patterns to rise through top coat,less noticeable in less leveled paint jobs and color selection.

www.rayplex.com , www.eagerplastics.com ,www.interplastic.com These are a few sprayable gelcoat suppliers I have used;mainly eager through local jobber, do not blast...sand only.When I have encountered conditions such as yours on streetrods or corvettes,I have used marglass over the areas with excellent long term satisfaction.Primers over time tend to allow fiber strand patterns to rise through top coat,less noticeable in less leveled paint jobs and color selection.

My advice is flow coat it. Flow coat is avaliable from Glass suppliers. It is a smooth waterproof coating that looks like gel coat when its dry. Its designed to go over raw glass and give a gel coat type finish.
Gerry

I Googled Flow Coat and all of the results were from companies in the UK, NZ or AU. Does anyone know of a comparable product available in the US or a US source for Flow Coat?

Fibreglast .com

I had already searched there with no luck.
If you look under gel-coat their is a product called Duratec clear, It mixes with gel-coat and allows you to spray it with a conventional paint gun. It works very well, used alot of it for boat hull repairs. Another alternitive to respraying gel-coat is any polyester surfacer such as Feather Fill (EverCoat). It will also bridge the porosity and hold down frays of raw cloth. JMO.......ruggs

Thanks. That's the info I was looking for. I'll file it away for future reference

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back