Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hawaiian Style 23 T

Hey Gang,

Well did some work on her today after all the morning Christmas traditions at our house. Pretty much took off 4 layers of paint on the top and side of the frame. I found a Vin # or a maybe just a frame #. Its only 6 characters long. Way to short for our current 16 or 17 # vins. So could be just a frame id #. Anyway, Next I'll turn the frame over to catch the bottom.

T4TWO said:
Hey Gang,

Well did some work on her today after all the morning Christmas traditions at our house. Pretty much took off 4 layers of paint on the top and side of the frame. I found a Vin # or a maybe just a frame #. Its only 6 characters long. Way to short for our current 16 or 17 # vins. So could be just a frame id #. Anyway, Next I'll turn the frame over to catch the bottom.

If it is a state issued # it could be much shorter then one issued by the big 3. My state issued VIN is only 8 characters long. Try giving that number to your friend and have him check it.
If you found old safety inspection stickers then you know the vehicle has to have been registered with the state. Damn old age, I swear I had already posted to this.

LOL, yup you did post this info twice. :lol: Thanks for the input! :cool:

Pix's of this past Christmas afternoon work. Before Christmas dinner.

100_4376.jpg

Small pile of paint and other junk^^^
100_4377.jpg

100_4378.jpg

100_4379.jpg

100_4380.jpg

:rock: Forgot to mention that the rear spring and perches top and bottom will be coming off along with the shock mounting brackets. Plan is to use QA-1 all around.

OK, just got a complete pumpkin. Posi, gears the whole nine yards. Now to try to figure out the gear ratio? But, I'm not ready for that portion of the build. But, got to take what I find, when I find them.

according to 1956 Classic Chevrolet "The Hot One's Even Hotter!", "Stock ratios for 55 and 56 chevys were 3.70:1 (3spd stick) 4.11:1 with OD trans and 3.55:1 for powerglide cars." Ive also heard of some west coast and midwest cars having rear gearsets like 3.08s and 3.23s (since its flat out there). I cant vouch for these though. An easy way to tell what you have is to put a mark on the ring and a mark on the pinion (with a sharpie pen) and count the teef and then divide the numbers. OR, What Id do if thats definitely the rear chunk you are going to use, I'd throw the rear end together and just turn the pinion. put a piece of tape on your wheel or the axle flange and see how many turns on the driveshaft end it takes to turn the wheel one turn. 3 and a half turns of the drive shaft to 1 turn of the rear wheel would be approx 3.50:1, 4 turns to one would be 4.11:1. 3 and a quarter turns would be 3.25:1 (3.23 or 3.27 is the common gearset) 3 and 3/4 turns would be 3.75 obviously so thats closest to 3.70 (unless someone put aftermarket 3.73s in it). HTH

Hey, Thanks for the tip. I'll head out later and start counting.

OK, I went out to count and iirc it was 43 ring and 8 pinion = 5.375 or was it 44 ring and 9 pinion = 4.888

Need to open up the current pumpkin soon, so I can verify what size gearing is in there.

OK, made a little more progress today. I finally got all the Yellow, Green, Blue, primer Gray paint off the frame today. Next is to get it ready for paint.

Sorry folks no new updates as of late. The project has been placed on a temp hold. What started as a small upgrade to my parent's bathroom. Has turned into a major overhaul. I'll get back to working on the bucket as soon as I can.

T4TWO said:
Sorry folks no new updates as of late. The project has been placed on a temp hold. What started as a small upgrade to my parent's bathroom. Has turned into a major overhaul. I'll get back to working on the bucket as soon as I can.

Been there - done that. Nothing like a little side job to throw things off for a month.

Yeah no joke about that. Well its suppose to be very windy here today 40-70 mph. That doesn't help one bit. I'm would say I'm about 2/3's of the way done with the remodel. But need to secure loose items around the house this morning. Hope to get back to turning wrenches and stuff in about a week. I hope, lol.

Soon very soon I'll be back working on the build. The bathroom is done, just need to slap some paint on the new walls and new moldings. :cool:

Still haven't really worked on her yet. But, I did mange to score a 200r4 trans today that will be going in the bucket later.

Wow back on page two. Shoot, well the frame is all stripped down and waiting for paint. But figure I would continue with the build first. Mock everything up, then paint as I go along. So now I'm starting to convert the rear brake drums to disc along with a new front disc set up. Progress is slow but I'm moving forward one step at a time.

T4TWO said:
Still haven't really worked on her yet. But, I did mange to score a 200r4 trans today that will be going in the bucket later.

Well done! You'll get great gas mileage (well for a hot rod) with that overdrive transmission... what kind of HP you plan on generating?

LumenAl said:
Well done! You'll get great gas mileage (well for a hot rod) with that overdrive transmission... what kind of HP you plan on generating?

Shooting for 300-350HP. I figure thats enough for some spirited pedal mashes on the street and if I run her down a track should put her in the 10 flat area.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back