Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hawaiian Style 23 T

Yup, that was my thinking too about the HP range. I figure I can have a lot of fun with her if I stick to my plans. But as you know, most hot rodders will dv8 from the original plans either a little bit or by a whole heck of a lot.

300 hp and running 10 flats? Do you run an 1/8 mile track over there?

Most street buckets over here run low to mid 12s in the quarter with gears in the mid 3s. After a while the 4.1 gears go in and the engines gewt tweaked and they are running 11s.....

Ive got a bit over 600hp in a blown big block and admittedly in a heavy bucket, but my best is 10.2 seconds for the quarter. Still holding out for a street legal 9 tho

Good luck, drag racing on the strip is seriously good fun and I recommend it to all bucket owners.

No 1/8 mile track here. But, 10 flat will be a goal for me with this bucket. Figured if my friend could get his 3500 lb Monte down the 1/4 in the high 11's with a SBC set up. I could do the same in a much, much lighter bucket.

T4TWO said:
Wow back on page two. Shoot, well the frame is all stripped down and waiting for paint. But figure I would continue with the build first. Mock everything up, then paint as I go along. So now I'm starting to convert the rear brake drums to disc along with a new front disc set up. Progress is slow but I'm moving forward one step at a time.

Any suggestions? Someone told me 49-54 brake set up will work just fine. Along with a 7" or 8" boosted master.

Did some work on her last night and today. Took the rear spring off and plasma the brackets off the the housing. Grind down the high spots and primer until the next time I can work on her. Also pulled the pumpkin apart and found 3.55 gearing back there. Its now ready for a disc brake set up. I will take the pumpkin apart and over haul it. Maybe a posi or 3.73 gears. Also pulled the trans cross member. Pix's to follow.

100_4510.jpg

- the trans cross member

100_4505.jpg

pumpkin with 3.55 gearing

100_4509.jpg

old drum brake set up

100_4502.jpg

100_4507.jpg

100_4508.jpg

Now that pretty much the entire car is apart. time to order some parts and start the rebuild. Will be looking at getting brakes, suspension parts, and rear end parts first.

<leaves to go look through the Speedway, Spirit, Summit, Jegs catalogs. Also RPM's web site>

OK, decided to get a new front end. But can't decide on a 4" or 6" drop.

100_4286.jpg

Can anyone id this steering box. ^^^ Would like to go with a cross steer set up and would have to get a new steering box to make it happen. This steering box does not work for a cross steer set up I have in mind.

T4TWO said:
100_4286.jpg

Can anyone id this steering box. ^^^ Would like to go with a cross steer set up and would have to get a new steering box to make it happen. This steering box does not work for a cross steer set up I have in mind.
Looks like a Corvair to me.

If I'm informed correctly I will need a Vega style steering box for cross steering? Not the Corvair box that I have now. I would like to have the steering colume remain verticle and not at a 45* angle coming from the firewall area.

Well Happy Easter to everyone first of all. I had the day off and went to the Summit store in Reno to do a little shopping. After about a hour I walked out with a complete matching top half kit for the bullet that will be going into the bucket. Still need to order the front end and brake kit from Speedway. Making progress on my home made radius arms and wishbone, going with 2.0 dom tubing.

Well decided not to go with the pumpkin rear end. Parts availability is the main part of the decision. Picking up a complete Chevy 12 bolt with 373 gears and disc brakes this weekend to use instead.

Nothing it works just fine! But thinking about larger gears than 3.55 and a posi. I got another center section with posi, but with 5.37 gears. Way to much gearing for my taste. I'm also thinking it wil be very hard to find parts for this rear end. Theres a lot more parts available for a Chevy 12 bolt.

on your steering column question, if you want a vertical column, it will be hard to set up a cross steer no matter which box you use. it would require many u-joits. what problem do you have with the column "coming through the firewall at 45 degrees? not tying to be a smart ass here, just curious.

Ron

LumenAl said:
I took mine form a 4:11 to a 3:35 and new carrier for posi. Still plenty fast enough and little better on the hiway...

Al,
Yeah, got no problem with that. Just when it breaks down. I will most likely have to R/R the whole thing. Because of lack of available parts. + right now there are 33x13x15 meats. I would like to go wider and a big maybe a little shorter tire.
Scott

Youngster said:
on your steering column question, if you want a vertical column, it will be hard to set up a cross steer no matter which box you use. it would require many u-joits. what problem do you have with the column "coming through the firewall at 45 degrees? not tying to be a smart ass here, just curious.

Ron

Ron,

NW's its all good. Nothing wrong with a 45* angle column. I just like the old verticle bus driver style of steering wheel and column. I will have to extend the splined shaft (from the steering box) out about 3", then make a longer pitman arm. Then run the steering rod under the body to the front tire.

Scott

On my long car, I used an econoline box with the drag link running along the outside of the frame to a bellcrank at the front and a rod running to each wheel like early (50's) chevy's.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back