Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Header Design & Build

My previous post was deleted because I asked 409T to remove it since it had personal details.
Below is the same post without those details.

In post #245 (Feb 7th) I mentioned that GP had received my mockup kit the day on before
and they would call when they got them opened and had a chance to look them over. At some
point I sent them another email and asked if they had any questions. I was nervous that they
would start/finish them without a conversation about what I wanted. Zach said that he wanted
to wait until just before they get started so the details would be fresh in his mind and not
confuse details from other customers. That made sense to me.

Well today was the day, Zach called about 8 am this morning. He said I had a lot of details.

I asked him about a completion date, he said they should ship next week !!!

Below is what I sent them, which includes their forum and my additional details in a
MS Word document. Plus 19 photos !!!

GP-Headers-Instruction-for-Build.jpg
GP-Header-Fabrication-Reply.jpg

Can't wait to see them.

I got an update on the progress, they sent this photo at my request. It still needs a
megaphone and turnout yet.

I thought the welds in the primary and secondary tubes (not at the collectors) would
be ground smooth and polished, that's the way it is in their video. So I have emailed
them for a explanation.

IMG_5391.jpg

The grinding and polishing starts at 4:56 in the video.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the nice comments !

I got an answer to my question of the welds being smoothed and polished. Looks like I will have the welds show so that I will have a stronger set of headers.

Below is the email exchange .... Me (Blue) .... GP Headers (Red)

Will the welds in the primary and secondary tubes be ground flush so that you don't see it anymore?

They will not be.

I assumed they would be since it's not a change in diameter and it's how you show it in your video.
You must have a good reason not to smooth and polish the welds, help me understand.

We sand down the welds very seldom maybe 1 or 2 sets a year. I personally do not like doing it because the outside of the bend is only around .030” thick and the 80 grit paper it takes to break through the weld is always right on the edge of breaking through the tube and then you still need to sand out those deep scratches. We typically charge around $600 to sand out the welds.

Ok, just wish I would have known. Maybe using 14 gauge tubing would have been an option ?
Are we still on track for a total cost of $2700 ?

Yes price has not changed.

That is a little disappointing but if the welds are consistent it would be ok I guess. I guess if you are really bummed out you can polish the welds or have the polisher in Newcastle do it.

No, I'm not really that bothered now that I have had time to get use to it. It's the way most
custom headers are, so it's not like I'm the only one out there with welded tubes.

The bending process stretches the tube on the outside of the bend reducing the wall thickness,
so I can see where it's not going to be as strong when you remove the weld.

Oh man those are nice!

I like the pretty TIG welds Indy. You can tell they're one-off customs.

I agree with choppin, the welds are cool and signify custom built. I bet they will be very nice, consistent welds anyways. I know a guy who builds custom headers for race cars and they always have exposed welds. He prides himself in his stack of dimes looking welds. It would have been nice to have that made clear at the inception of the process. Live and learn!

Great job that finished up Indy, you'll need your sun glasses on driving behind them mate.
Thanks AusBucket!!! I'm getting excited to get them installed. Still need to modify the auger
style mufflers to fit inside the megaphone, but I can't do that until after the headers get here.

Indy, loving those 1-3/4 primaries. I'm gonna try for 2" on mine with the dual flanges. Augers in megaphones..you are going where no man has gone before. Live long and prosper, fellow traveler.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back