Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hyd shock mount from RPM questions and pictures

fordsbyjay

I recently purchased some front shock mounts from Ron @ RPM that bolt onto the friction shock area. I mocked up the one side today and boy does it look tight in there. I am assuming this is normal but wanted to post a couple pics in case anyone see's something I am doing wrong. I was following this thread but the pictures are no long available. If anyone else has some finished pics it would be greatly appreciated. It looks like I should be able to fit a shock about 8" in length once I build a lower mount.

t-buckethydshockmt3.jpg

t-buckethydshockmt5.jpg

I've got that setup. It is tight, but you'll have clearance. The shocks I used originally were the Monroe 5157's (not sure of that number). I cut the top sleeve off and everything was fine. Now, I have the chrome short shocks that I got from Speedway. They work just as good, but are just prettier. Vanity is a SOB. I'm sure you realize that the bottom of the shock mounts to the lower bar of the radius rod. Looking at your pic, it could be close to the threaded portion of the clevis, but I think you'll still be okay.

One thing I ran into was slipping the eye of the shock onto the radius rod. Slipping is not the word to be used. It was VERY difficult, but some grease and the will to succeed got me through it. Now, that was on Totals skinny (3/4") radius rods. The setup I have now uses Rons 1" radius rods. So when I got the new chrome shocks, I had to remove the rubber bushing entirerly. I then had to file the inside of the hole just a tad, so it would fit over the radius rod. I cut some teflon to put around the radius rod. Again, if was a pain in the butt, but it can be done.

Last, but not least, Ron supplied me with some shiney collars to fit on either side of the shock where it is on the radius rod. These keep the shock from maybe sliding back and forth. In all honesty, you probably won't need them. The fit is VERY tight. But they sure look pretty and you never know.

Here is a pic of my setup with the new shocks. I hope all this helps.

I'm sure you realize that the bottom of the shock mounts to the lower bar of the radius rod.

When I spoke with Ron I thought he was going to send me those too but they weren't in the box so I have to call him.

Now, that was on Totals skinny (3/4") radius rods.

That is what I have, the 3/4 inch ones.

Thanks for the picture.

how are you mounting them to the radius rods? any pictures. think i might have missed something i my reading. last day of vacation woo woo.

One thing I ran into was slipping the eye of the shock onto the radius rod. Slipping is not the word to be used. It was VERY difficult, but some grease and the will to succeed got me through it. Now, that was on Totals skinny (3/4") radius rods. The setup I have now uses Rons 1" radius rods. So when I got the new chrome shocks, I had to remove the rubber bushing entirerly. I then had to file the inside of the hole just a tad, so it would fit over the radius rod. I cut some teflon to put around the radius rod. Again, if was a pain in the butt, but it can be done.

how are you mounting them to the radius rods? any pictures. think i might have missed something i my reading. last day of vacation woo woo.

There is a bracket that slips over the lower radius rod. That is what tfeverfred was talking about when he said it was hard to slide on.

There is a bracket that slips over the lower radius rod. That is what tfeverfred was talking about when he said it was hard to slide on.

No. I didn't use a bracket and after installation, it doesn't look neccesary. You slide the shock onto the lower radius rod and that is it. Due to the shocks location on the radius rod, there is not undue stress on the radius rod. But, sliding the shock on is difficult, but can be done.

No. I didn't use a bracket and after installation, it doesn't look neccesary. You slide the shock onto the lower radius rod and that is it. Due to the shocks location on the radius rod, there is not undue stress on the radius rod. But, sliding the shock on is difficult, but can be done.

I see what you mean. Thanks for the clarification.

I see what you mean. Thanks for the clarification.
[/quote
Ok this is the problem you are gona have . I did mine the same way. After you drive for a while look at the shock on the radius rod you will notice since it isnt parallel with the top mount the shock will creep forward on you . I know the grommet is tight but it will creep forward. i think the answer is to have two of the split 7/8 or 1" steel roundpieces that are on the bottom of the support bracket that comes with the shock setup on both sides of the lower shock grommet to keep it in place. What do you call the split piece I dont know. I will bet RPM can make um or will know what you call them. They are like a thick 3/8 or more spacer split and drilled and tapped so you can put them back together once they are around the radius rod.

Ok, I ordered up the chrome shocks from Speedway. The steel sleeve in the shock mount hole is 5/8" od and the hairpins are 3/4". Do I have to open up the rubber bushing ID for this to "slide" on there as mentioned?

do you guys see a noticable difference using hydraulic shocks?

This topic comes up regularly and many member say it is night and day difference while a few others say their friction shocks work fine. I had the friction shocks and I am not happy with them so I am in the process of swapping over.

Ok, I ordered up the chrome shocks from Speedway. The steel sleeve in the shock mount hole is 5/8" od and the hairpins are 3/4". Do I have to open up the rubber bushing ID for this to "slide" on there as mentioned?

Okay. I didn't know you had Rons radius rods. When I removed the rubber bushing, the opening was just about 3/4". So, I filed the opening enough to slip in a strip of poly-liner (the stuff used between spring leafs). After I installed the shocks, I put his round pieces on both sides to make sure the shock stays in place. So far... no problems.

Well, there is one minor problem, but I got used to it. The first few times you drive your car, you'll get hypnotized from watching the shocks bounce. :zingy: But most times, folks will honk if you straddle lanes. :wacky:

I recently purchased some front shock mounts from Ron @ RPM that bolt onto the friction shock area. I mocked up the one side today and boy does it look tight in there. I am assuming this is normal but wanted to post a couple pics in case anyone see's something I am doing wrong. I was following this thread but the pictures are no long available. If anyone else has some finished pics it would be greatly appreciated. It looks like I should be able to fit a shock about 8" in length once I build a lower mount.

t-buckethydshockmt3.jpg

t-buckethydshockmt5.jpg

Gents,

I have a serious problem with this setup. I have a Total performance 23T sucide front end with the short shocks.I have measured and re-measured my radius rod measurements, checked to make sure that the caster angle is at 5-degrees positive based on Total's build instructions.I've even cut off the bolt and ground it down to clear the shocks. But no matter what I do, one side of the mounting brackets are biting into my shocks. There is lot of clearance between the shocks and the bracker towards the front of the car, but none towards the back.

I will try to post a couple of pics tomorrow. Can you please gimme some tips on how this problem can be fixed?

Much thanks!
-Andy

Andy, it sounds as you may have to do like Jay and refit and weld the mounts. However I'll reserve judgment till we can see the pics. :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back