Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

I miss Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Rotor Flap

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Yup, but life goes on and at least we know he can come back if he chooses and he'll be welcomed..

We all do. He was a great builder. I sure don't know what happened but we're suppose to be a happy family here compared to the other sites.

What happened was unfortunate. It is also unfortunate to see how Gerry reacted to the situation. With all the members we have in and out of this site every day, if we all left because of the actions of just one, there would be no one left. I would have been one of the first out the door, believe me. I hope Gerry will realize he threw the baby out with the bathwater and will find his way back here.

The sad part is this isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened, nor will it be the last. All we can do is keep looking forward, so we don't end up walking into a lamppost.

Perhaps we could all tell.... [or make up], stories about Gerry and see how long he can hide in the closet. :whisper:

Russ

Perhaps we could all tell.... [or make up], stories about Gerry and see how long he can hide in the closet. :whisper:

Russ
Russ,

I tried the old "whats your MPG" line to try and get a reply, no luck, not even a shot over the bow. I'm pretty sure that ploy would work better on blownT.

Bob

Russ,

I tried the old "whats your MPG" line to try and get a reply, no luck, not even a shot over the bow. I'm pretty sure that ploy would work better on blownT.

Bob

Perhaps he's actually being held captive and we should be thinking on a more subversive level... Who could we trade him for?? :devil:

Russ

He is just a little lost, send him some emails and guide him back to home. But on a really good note the ones who stirred this all up seem to be gone. Hopefully it stays that way. Funny thing is I can't find the post about anyone missing any of them!

I've had some communication with Gerry. He needed a break. All of us were getting close to that same point, so I suppose you can understand how he feels.

I am confident we'll get him back in here at some point.

For those who have not had the pleasure of spending time in England, Ireland or Scotland, as much as we are alike, we are different. Some words don't translate nearly as well as you might think. And I've even found times when certain phrases get taken the wrong way, on both sides of the Atlantic. I've often seem Americans ready to fight, when someone from the Dis-United Kingdom (pardon me, my Scots nationalism is showing) was only taking the p*ss. And I've seen it the other way around, as well. I called my ex-fiancee a brat once, when she was joking around and she clammed up right then and there. Didn't take it kindly, not in the least. She thought I was sick, when I told her on the phone I was eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. She understood jelly to be gelatin. Here in the states, Ned is just a name. In the DUK, it means something else, entirely.

We speak the same language (well, OK, it's really not the same) as Gerry, but there are really some pretty wide cultural differences between us. We just need to keep on keeping on and remain patient as we go.

I've had some communication with Gerry. He needed a break. All of us were getting close to that same point, so I suppose you can understand how he feels.

I am confident we'll get him back in here at some point.

For those who have not had the pleasure of spending time in England, Ireland or Scotland, as much as we are alike, we are different. Some words don't translate nearly as well as you might think. And I've even found times when certain phrases get taken the wrong way, on both sides of the Atlantic. I've often seem Americans ready to fight, when someone from the Dis-United Kingdom (pardon me, my Scots nationalism is showing) was only taking the p*ss. And I've seen it the other way around, as well. I called my ex-fiancee a brat once, when she was joking around and she clammed up right then and there. Didn't take it kindly, not in the least. She thought I was sick, when I told her on the phone I was eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. She understood jelly to be gelatin. Here in the states, Ned is just a name. In the DUK, it means something else, entirely.

We speak the same language (well, OK, it's really not the same) as Gerry, but there are really some pretty wide cultural differences between us. We just need to keep on keeping on and remain patient as we go.

Yep you are right. My Mom was from London, so I know what you are talking about.

Mike,

The only graffetti I saw there was at the border between Scotland and England. I used to work in Aberdeen. Other notable differances

bathroom........water closet or WC
get in a line...que (sp)
attourny........solicitor
car trunk.......boot
car hood........bonnet
tires...........tyres

There are many, many more.

Stove - cooker
Kitchen cabinet/counter - bunker
Sink drain - plug hole
Milky Way - Mars Bar
Three Musketeers - Milky Way
Cookies - biscuits (unless they were chocolate chip and then they were cookies)
Iced cookies - cakes
Carry out restaurant - take away
Rutabaga - neep
Potatoes - tatties
Gasoline - petrol
Windshield - windscreen
And a dryer is always a tumble-dryer.

And that's just from the top of my head.

I've never been to Aberdeen. I've a good pal who stays in Stonehaven I want to see on my next trip and I also want to get up to Inverness to pay my respects at Drumossie Muir, so maybe a detour to Aberdeen will be in order.

There are many, many more.

Stove - cooker
Kitchen cabinet/counter - bunker
Sink drain - plug hole
Milky Way - Mars Bar
Three Musketeers - Milky Way
Cookies - biscuits (unless they were chocolate chip and then they were cookies)
Iced cookies - cakes
Carry out restaurant - take away
Rutabaga - neep
Potatoes - tatties
Gasoline - petrol
Windshield - windscreen
And a dryer is always a tumble-dryer.

And that's just from the top of my head.

I've never been to Aberdeen. I've a good pal who stays in Stonehaven I want to see on my next trip and I also want to get up to Inverness to pay my respects at Drumossie Muir, so maybe a detour to Aberdeen will be in order.

Don't for get Fish and Chips = Fried Fish fillets and French fries

A loree = tractor trailer

tea? is served in a cup with cream, not sweet and in a glass of ice

bungalo = house

bloke = man

motorway = highway

zebra crossing = no parking area

round about = traffic circle

I'm sure I'll remember a few more. I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath for 4 years (89-92) and loved it, except for that little side trip known as Desert Storm.

"bum" is still my favorite (rear axle housing).
How did their language get so screwed up anyway? :hiding:

Russ

Lets not for get the food.

Bangers and mash

Toad in the hole

Yorkshire pudding, Just to name a few.

OK guys, I give in

Let me find my way through the cloud of embarrassment from all your messages, pick up the baby and mop up the bathwater.
Now lets get back to what you all do best... T Buckets.

PS. Loree is spelt Lorry, and a Zrbra Crossing is a Ped X. Apart from that you got it covered.

Gerry

HOORAY!!! The wandering son has returned!

Jim

P.S. Keep the pictures coming on your build Gerry, PLEASE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back