Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Keepers build

Looks great, Keeper! At least they go back together quicker the second time around.

Its ALIVE, (again) or would that be Its Alive II?

Back together, had a few glitches and still a couple things left to do, but it runs and drives again.

You can really tell the difference between the 2.88 and the 3.53.

Still have to make some rearview mirror mounts, remount the ebrake and recover the dash.

That and it really needs an alignment.

So I FINALLY got my dash finished. I was stuck trying to figure out how to cover the gauge pod I had created, originally it was a steel cover, but the damn thing would not fit! I was just going to mount it and drive it with the wires exposed, but it bugged the hell out of me seeing them all the time.

Anyway so it turned out I was making things way more complicated then I needed to, but I guess thats what happens when you are just learning a skill. So here are the results:

21%20may%202012%20001.JPG_595.jpg

I still need to mount it thats what all the holes are.

21%20may%202012%20003.JPG_595.jpg

All the small holes in the gauge cluster are for the turn signal, and idiot light assembly.

21%20may%202012%20004.JPG_595.jpg

21%20may%202012%20005.JPG_595.jpg

21%20may%202012%20006.JPG_595.jpg

Also made up some rear view mirror mounts, I could not find any that I liked and these were basically free with about 45 minutes work. They just clamp to the posts so I can move them around where they will work best for me.

21%20may%202012%20002.JPG_595.jpg

All in all a good weekend, now I just need to fix the damn oil leak that popped back up....grrrrr

So when I had the engine out, I had thought I had tracked down the oil leak to the intake gasket. So while I had the engine out I did not pull the oil pan, thinking "Why waste a perfectly good gasket"....well turns out to be a rookie mistake.

The damn rear main is leaking....good thing pulling the pan will be pretty easy to do. So tomorrow its off to the parts store for a 1 piece oil pan gasket.

Very nice. The shape is very much like an original 55-56 Chev bezel. so I mistakenly assumed it was a repro cluster.

So I finally fixed my oil leaks.

I used the rubber/cork gaskets that came with the original kit. When I installed them I used some rtv on the end seals....a big nono it seems.

Anyway I needed to fix the pan leak. So I bought a 1 piece fel-pro gasket. While I had the pan off I did some more inspecting and noticed the rear main was seeping. So off comes the rear main cap, to find some dumb ass (yeah it was me) had installed the seal backward, not sure how I managed that one, but its sorted out now and no more leaks.

Alright I finally got some current pics of the work I have done over the last month or so.

Here we go, side shot, I added caps and rings to the wheels:
10%20jun%202012%20004.JPG_595.jpg

New gauge pod:
10%20jun%202012%20009.JPG_595.jpg

I did not like the look of the unfinished bed so I made some panels up to match the interior:
10%20jun%202012%20008.JPG_595.jpg

10%20jun%202012%20007.JPG_595.jpg

Rebuilt the rearend, new lighter springs/shocks, new hubs and bearings and painted it:
10%20jun%202012%20022.JPG_595.jpg

10%20jun%202012%20021.JPG_595.jpg

Relocated the rad filler neck so I could actually get to it, as originally it was under the shell. I still need to find a rad shell topper for it. Also painted the engine/trans.
10%20jun%202012%20015.JPG_595.jpg

All that is left now if final body work and paint, but that can wait until the fall/winter :D

Your T looks great Keeper. Is the gauge pod from a motorcycle ? I been thinking of useing the same rims like yours on my new build . And now that i have seen them on yours I'm sold.

Thanks!

The gauge pod is scratch built. I started with wood templates to get the shape/spacing right then moved to metal and vinyl, based off a tri-five chevy pod, but I made mine to match the steering wheel contour. Just follows with my Chevy theme through out the build. If you click through the photo albums in my sig there are a bunch of pics of the process.

Could you take some close ups of your corvair box area..
How much space do you have between the header and the box? Do you know how much space you need there?

Thank you.

Your car is looking GREAT, Keeper!

Jim

Thanks guys.

Could you take some close ups of your corvair box area..
How much space do you have between the header and the box? Do you know how much space you need there?

Thank you.

Its not as close as it looks, there is about 3/4 of an inch between the header and the top of the box. I can get some pics if you still need better idea of the setup. Personally I would like at least 1/2 inch between the two.

Thanks guys.

Its not as close as it looks, there is about 3/4 of an inch between the header and the top of the box. I can get some pics if you still need better idea of the setup. Personally I would like at least 1/2 inch between the two.

Ya, couple of pics would be great.

Okay here is a close up. I used the CCR plans when I built the brackets, just make sure you have the engine/headers installed before you weld things up. First time I placed it, it smacked the headers when I bolted them on. Luckily it was only tacked in at the time so it was easy to move!

11%20jun%202012%20001.JPG_595.jpg

Lotsa stuff to like on your build Keeper:D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back