Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My Budget Traditional T Build

Looks good. Are we having fun yet? F/G work in NY is tough this time of year,aye?

Thanks Guys! I have the heat in the garage going and it's costing a fortune this year! Man, getting into the 30's would be a welcome heat wave. I can't complain though, many folks have it much worse...

Last edited:
A little more progress. I created a mount for the gas pedal to the plywood insert I glued to the inside of the firewall. I also added nuts for the fuse block (not shown).

I also finished the floor by covering the side well voids with steel inserts and made up some flat steel that sandwiches the floor to the mounts (I added 4 for a total of eight body mounts).

I fabbed up a column drop to attach to the inside of the dash. The clamp is a universal chrome motorcycle exhaust clamp. I like the simplistic look of it. I used bolts to secure it while the adhesive dries (I'm going to reinforce the whole thing with fiberglass as I'm not 100% confident about the adhesive). The bolts will be removed and the holes filled later.

It was very warm at 50 degrees today and sunny. So I rolled the bucket out for my first look at it outside where I could step away and get a feel for how it will look. Not too bad I think...

Looks like it's coming along nicely. Pulling it outside and standing back and looking at is what I tell every builder to do. That way you're able to see the car as everyone else will when you have it on the road. Keep up the good work.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Let's face it, aesthetics is a major reason why we do this, right? There's a few elements about it I don't like, but I should have most ironed out by the time it hits the road.

I made up the tail light panel out of some 14ga sheet steel. It will hold the license plate also. Designing this for such a minimalist subject as a bucket can be a challenge. It's easy to over think the design. Sometimes simple is best...I'm not sure how much I like it, but of all the ideas I sketched out, I hate this the least, lol.

I bought the engine & trans as a package on faith that it was a good working combo. I installed it into the frame temporarily to make sure before I started painting the frame or the engine. It took a while to get started because I had the timing a little off, but once I fixed it, she fired right up and ran nice. No leaks or funny noises. The trans works well also. So on to the next step...

[video:youtube]

Got some painting done today. Specifically the frame, axle, and seemingly hundreds of small pieces...

Nothing I hate worse than painting all the small stuff.. Unless, its cleaning up the gun, then finding one piece that I missed.
Lee

Nothing I hate worse than painting all the small stuff.. Unless, its cleaning up the gun, then finding one piece that I missed.
Lee
Ha ha I know, right? Oh man, the prep for all that stuff just seems endless, ugh. NOT my favorite activity. But it came out great and it flowed out like glass overnight. But it's still pretty soft, so it will have to sit for a while, especially with the rainy weather today.

We used the Summit Racing brand paint and was quite surprised how well it performed. Very easy and forgiving to spray (my friend Ron actually sprayed it). Used their epoxy primer, single stage black and high solids clear over that. And it's super cheap compared to PPG etc. I know generally you get what you pay for, but this car will spend most of it's life inside and likely see little to no inclimate weather. Time will tell...

Last edited:
I got some more painting done on the bucket project. Fuel tank, differential and tail light panel. This time Ron let me try. Not as good as him, a few fish eyes and a little dust but it's fine.... First painting I've done in about 30 years, lol.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back