Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My Budget Traditional T Build

Bob I may have missed it in your thread but how much paint/primer/clear did you end up using? I assume you used the same black for body and chassis? Sure is shiney!
Thanks Dale,

I used about 1-1/2 qt. of epoxy primer, 1/2 gal. of 2K primer, almost 1 full gallon of single stage black (I used single stage because it's much cheaper than the base coat black), and 1/2 gal. of clear. I used approx 2 qts. or so of activator and a splash of reducer here and there. The paint went on ok, but it needed to be reduced more than what they recommend...for me anyway. I was using a borrowed spray gun and probably the wrong one at that, lol. The whole thing cost about $400, but if you add what I actually used it was probably more like $250 total for the paint job. Cheap enough...

I let it dry about a month, wet sanded with 1000/1200/2000/3000 then Meguire's Ultra Cut compound. That stuff is amazing. It cuts quick and leaves a nice shine. It makes it so much easier. Then I used off the shelf Turtle Wax polishing compound I had sitting around. It left a real nice finish.

Last edited:
Outstanding! I wish I were at this point in my build.

Very nice work.

Thanks!

Some more progress. I have the body loosely installed on the chassis in prep for the wiring and interior. Also installed the radiator, shell, front shocks, hooked up the brake pedal and have the windshield prepped and almost ready to install. I'm very happy how the wire mesh fencing looks in the rad shell! :p Next is wiring, gauges, headlights, interior, etc, etc. So close yet so far, lol!

Today was kind of exciting as I continued working on the interior. I also pulled it outside to check the color match of the carpet, seats & door panels. It looks pretty good so I took the opportunity to step back and look at it. The engine compartment area looks a little empty to me, but that will change once I get the carb, scoop, distributor, wires, rad hose, etc, etc installed. Overall I think I like it. Tomorrow I finish the interior and start the wiring...:eek:

I'd really like to see a pic from the rear now that you have the tank mounted. I really like the look. Keep up the great work...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back