Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My First T-Bucket Build

That is a very smart thing to do. I always tell guys to get it outside and stand back a ways and really look at it. That is the only way to see if things are coming together properly. It has to "profile" properly to be a great build.

Jim

That's right Jim, it's good to get a better perspective of it. And so far I'm very pleased with how it's turning out. I made some more progress yesterday. Made a couple motor mounts and welded them in place. The engine is mounted now and the tail end of the transmission is sitting on a jack stand. Trans crossmember is next. Here's a few pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1766.jpg
    IMG_1766.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 185
Good point Dale, now I don't feel so bad about it! I made some more progress this weekend. I made the trans crossmember. I cut a 2" x 10" piece out of 1/4 steel plate and drilled a hole for the transmission mount. Bolted it up to the transmission and then cut two pieces of 3/4" pipe and welded them to the top, angled up and forward. Then cut a 34" piece and welded it to the bottom / back of the plate. Put it in a vice and heated them up and bent them back to be in line with the front ones. I kind of just eyeballed it. Bolted it back in and then cut four 3 1/2" long pieces of 2" flat bar. Drilled a couple holes in each one and sandwiched them in between the pipes and the frame, then tacked them on. Took it off and welded it up. Now I just need to drill the holes through the frame so I can bolt it in.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    580.9 KB · Views: 165
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    528.7 KB · Views: 165
Good point Dale, now I don't feel so bad about it! I made some more progress this weekend. I made the trans crossmember. I cut a 2" x 10" piece out of 1/4 steel plate and drilled a hole for the transmission mount. Bolted it up to the transmission and then cut two pieces of 3/4" pipe and welded them to the top, angled up and forward. Then cut a 34" piece and welded it to the bottom / back of the plate. Put it in a vice and heated them up and bent them back to be in line with the front ones. I kind of just eyeballed it. Bolted it back in and then cut four 3 1/2" long pieces of 2" flat bar. Drilled a couple holes in each one and sandwiched them in between the pipes and the frame, then tacked them on. Took it off and welded it up. Now I just need to drill the holes through the frame so I can bolt it in.

looks great! My transmission mount will be fairly simple. The center of the tailshaft is 3" above the frame, so it's pretty simple! :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'm definitely not going for the traditional look, hence the wider than normal front tires. I believe the front wheels are 15 x 7.5 and the rear are 15 x 10. I'll have to check on the tire sizes and get back to you. I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with the tires that are on the rear. I guess we will see what the budget allows....

Got the crossmember and trans bolted in place last night.

I must ask if you've spanned the opening inside the frame tubing with a piece of tubing. The reason for the tubing is so that the frame tube is not weakened allowing the bolt to become loose.

Jim

I must ask if you've spanned the opening inside the frame tubing with a piece of tubing. The reason for the tubing is so that the frame tube is not weakened allowing the bolt to become loose.

Jim
You did that with your four bar links in the rear didn't you. Can you just bring the tubing out flush with frame then bevel the hole to allow better weld and then grind smooth? Or leave some weld and tubing outside of tube width?

You did that with your four bar links in the rear didn't you. Can you just bring the tubing out flush with frame then bevel the hole to allow better weld and then grind smooth? Or leave some weld and tubing outside of tube width?

I don't see any reason why you could not do that.

Jim

I did not... That is a good idea though. You don't think a self locking nut would suffice?

That is not the best way to do it because the bolt will still tend to crush the tubing of the frame. With a piece of tubing with an ID of the OD of the bolt and cut to the outside width of the frame rail there is no chance of that happening.

Jim

Last edited:
Started working on the radiator and shell over the holiday. I chopped the shell about 5 inches and positioned them in the frame where I wanted them to sit, and started making some brackets to mount the radiator. It sits about an inch or two higher than I would like, but if I put it any lower then I would be worried about the radiator scraping the floor over speed bumps. I am using a radiator out of an old Dodge Aspen. Fits really good inside the shell after some cutting, and should be plenty big enough. I don't have any pictures of the mounts yet, they aren't done. But you can see about where they will sit. I also got my seats. Girlfriend bought them for me for Christmas! I wanted these boat seats for a few reasons. They are cheap, low, soft, fold down, and will leave room for a driveshaft tunnel. I want to sit as low as possible in the car. I do plan to tilt them back a little bit for comfort. They are just sitting in there now to get a feel for it. Thinking about getting them reupholstered but I don't know yet. I'll have to see what they look like when the car is finished.

Attachments

• photo 9.JPG
    photo 9.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 95
  • photo 10.JPG
    photo 10.JPG
    529.4 KB · Views: 92
  • photo 11.JPG
    photo 11.JPG
    501.1 KB · Views: 91
  • photo 12.JPG
    photo 12.JPG
    516.2 KB · Views: 89
  • photo 13.JPG
    photo 13.JPG
    523.5 KB · Views: 91
  • photo 14.JPG
    photo 14.JPG
    568.1 KB · Views: 92
  • photo 15.JPG
    photo 15.JPG
    413.3 KB · Views: 89
  • photo 16.JPG
    photo 16.JPG
    428.5 KB · Views: 102
The boat seats are a good idea. I was wracking my brain trying to come up with a good (read cheap) alternative to expensive bomber seats, but never thought of that...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back