Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My first T build.

Fletcherson, I agree. I plan on pulling the intake this weekend so I can investigate further. Yes it was an intake pushrod. I look at it as a good excuse to change the cam and add a gear drive. If the rest of the engine checks out ok that is the plan. If I can change the cam bearings I will do that too.

Just a thought about the hood. Fiberglass will not stick to the aluminum at all. It will act like a mold and leave a pretty good surface to prep for paint.

Fletcherson, I agree. I plan on pulling the intake this weekend so I can investigate further. Yes it was an intake pushrod. I look at it as a good excuse to change the cam and add a gear drive. If the rest of the engine checks out ok that is the plan. If I can change the cam bearings I will do that too.
Cam bearings are pretty simple to install with the correct tool. Just make sure the oil holes line up. It would be nice to know what the oil presure was before tearing into it to give a clue as to the big picture related to the bearings. My experience has been if it needs any bearings, it likely needs them all. You just need to check it out and make a judgement call. I presume you intend to replace the cam bearings with the cam, just thinking out loud.

Thanks meangreen. I used to have one but alas it found a new home at some point. I am finished with your engine stand. After I clean it up I will bring it on back to you.

Sorry for the detour on the hood there smokeyco. Sounds like you got a great asset with meangrean there. Glad you got the front end parts! Ordering mine this week.

Okay I got the batwings welded to the axle and the axle mounted to the radius rods. Next step is to make a couple of brackets to attach the spring pivots to. I put the batwings out a little further than most folks do because I liked the look and I am making a way to attach shocks to the brackets I have to make. I will post picture when I get the rest of it all Fabbed up.

Wow thanks! I owe you another favor. :)
I quit picking engine stands up because I end up leaving engines on them... I have four, three in the barn, one in the shop, all full. I have two more at a friends place and I need to repo them soon to do the 427 from the t if he hasn't adopted my bad habit, lol. My barn is modern and more of a warehouse. I don't know what I would do without it other thank get rid of a lifetime of treasures and junk...

I quit picking engine stands up because I end up leaving engines on them... I have four, three in the barn, one in the shop, all full. I have two more at a friends place and I need to repo them soon to do the 427 from the t if he hasn't adopted my bad habit, lol. My barn is modern and more of a warehouse. I don't know what I would do without it other thank get rid of a lifetime of treasures and junk...

I know the feeling, although I've stopped using stands and started sitting engines inside old tires and sliding them up under my metal rack. It's just as bad, but it's a bit cheaper and they take up a little less space than sitting around on stands!

here is what I have so far. The batwings are welded right where the leaf springs used to go when the axle was in the Econoline van. The spring pivots will bolt to brackets made from 2x2 angle about two inches to the inside of the batwing. The shock will also mount to these brackets.

I posted in the big block chevy heads thread an update on the engine. Looks like a full rebuild is in order. I found water in two cylinders when I removed the heads. I know I could build a has of a smallblock for a little over half of what this 454 will cost to build but I already have this motor and I like how a big block looks sitting in this little olé T. Besides, I can build a mildly modified big block that will be more than enough on the go pedal and still be a durable and street friendly cruiser.

I posted in the big block chevy heads thread an update on the engine. Looks like a full rebuild is in order. I found water in two cylinders when I removed the heads. I know I could build a has of a smallblock for a little over half of what this 454 will cost to build but I already have this motor and I like how a big block looks sitting in this little olé T. Besides, I can build a mildly modified big block that will be more than enough on the go pedal and still be a durable and street friendly cruiser.
I recently priced bbc parts for my 427 and as long as you are content with a basically stock motor as far as cast pistons, etc... The cost isn't that much more than a sbc, but shop around. The machine costs should be similar. The big difference is when you get into forged slugs, roller cam, etc... If you consider that a mild bbc will be stronger than a beefier sbc, to get the same end result would likely be equal in overall cost. Within reason. If you like it, build it!

Smokeyco did you put those s-10 caliper brackets on yet? Got my set from Ron yesterday andI can't find any information on proper positioning and such. I do not have the rotors or the calipers but didn't know if there was a certain measurement from the hub face you could use when mounting them or if you just simply line everything up with the rotors in place.

Well I had some time to kill today so I took a trip to my local salvage yard. I went looking for a steering column with no luck. Who would think a tilt column for an early S10 with stick shift would be so hard to find? Lol. I did pick up a very nice Dodge Caravan seat for $36.00. At least I didn't leave empty handed! I'll post a pic in a little bit.

So I'm picking up my girls from school and they ask, "What's that in your truck Daddy?" I said, "It's a seat for Daddy's hot rod. I got it at the junkyard." The girls say, "Ooh we want to go! Maybe we will see an old General Lee!" So I say to myself, " Why not? I have this other salvage yard to look for a steering column." So I take the girls and they are mesmerized. I found a steering column from an 86 Camaro and they helped me by handing me tools or holding something for me. We had a blast and I found what I was looking for. I'd say it was a good day. :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back