Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My ignorance on full display

True, but since the highway's top speed is 70, I'm sure the 352 will be fine. :cool:

A 352 was in the car I had my first driving lesson in; a 66 Galaxie. The old car was powerful enough without any speed parts in it. Just for the reason of a fun memory, the 352 is worth the trouble.

Sir, I mean no disrespect or offense but it's evident that you yourself don't know what you want. My suggestion would be to take 3 steps back and rethink everything. You are headed in to many different directions with no serious goal in mind.

Granted, I am now 66 years old and haven't built but one bucket since I was 25 but in spite of all the mistakes I originally made I'm still at it. I have enjoyed working at correcting all of the mistakes I originally made, not to mention the 40+ years of cruising in my mistakes.

If I had all the information we have available to us today and me being 25 again I would have never even thought of building a bucket. Sometimes a lack of knowledge can be a benefit or to put it another way "Ignorance is Bliss".

If I had all the information we have available to us today and me being 25 again I would have never even thought of building a bucket.

Please explain.

Telman2

You're right, I'm still searching for what I want. I thought I had it figured out with the yellow trike (pictured on the previous page). Instead I ended up with a fun vehicle that I was afraid to drive. I was hit by a car on a motorcycle years before I built it, and have been too nervous to ride ever since. I thought the trike would cure that fear, but it didn't, so I sold it. Now I'm without a head turning vehicle. My origional thinking was maybe a T-bucket or something like it would help with that fear. This thinking is based on a 92 Geo Metro convertable I had. I loved driving it with the top down and didn't have any of that fear.

Now as far as my 90 truck goes, it will be rebuilt. Even if I'm in the middle of another project, I will rebuild that truck. The guys on the Ford forum have talked me into looking for a 460 as it will bolt to the transmission my 90 already has. That leaves me with the 352 that I want to do something with.

Now Telman2 explain what you posted above. I could use a little of your wisdom right about now. Or at least use what's in that glass.

It seems your really set on this C6 tranny deal.....Why? the bucket will not way that much along with pulling a trailer that you need it. It just makes better since to use something that most of us here have helpful information on. That is all we are trying to say. You asked about the tranny and no real answers, you asked about the motor and no real answers that you want to hear. I'm sorry if I offend you because I don't mean to by ANY means. It's just you've been asking these questions and opinions for awhile and nothing.

What I was trying to say is that if we don't have a clear picture of what we want and we start to question every step we take instead of going with our heart we're not going to get anywhere.

Are you measuring what your doing or attempting to do with what you perceive others are doing? My dad always said if your going to do something do it right but he also said to learn from my mistakes. With that in mind I built my bucket to the best of my ability and enjoyed it but I learned from the many mistakes I made. It's more fun correcting them on a running car then a hunk of parts sitting in a garage waiting for the next "RIGHT" part or modification.

Todays information overload can be both a boon and a curse and in some ways I think it's more of a curse. I have a bucket I built over 40 years ago and enjoyed for more years then some of you are old and I've made more then my fair share of my mistakes in doing it but I wouldn't take one of them back.

I had a dream, I built my dream and I've been driving my dream for 40+ years. If I took the time to question my ability or validity of every step it took to build it today instead of looking forward to taking the bucket out of storage next spring I'd be sitting next to you still asking questions about what I should do next.

At the risk of beating a dead horse this is my last post on this thread.

I didn't assume anything. First, read the title in the thread you created. Second, read your first post. Given the questions you asked and the fact that you said you are confused and don't understand what else is there?

Everyone here want's you to succeed in whatever car/truck you want to build.....I know this because that's what street rodders have always represented. My only purpose to posting in the thread is to help when I can and try and keep you from making expensive mistakes, and I think I speak for others when I say that's what there trying to do also.

It's always hard in life to make decisions on things of this nature, I mean really, hot rods, street rods, cool trucks, and anything else that has wheels and a motor and smells like gasoline are awesome but the reality is you can only serve one master at a time.

In the interest of wanting to help you as much as I can I offer the following advice.

1. Just pick one thing and ignor everything else until it's finished.
  2. If you have a motor use it, if not find one that makes the project enjoyable and one you will be happy with.
  3. Ask questions, get answers, get well read, use the search function, and by all means take the advice of the folks hear to heart.
  4. Work on it a little bit each day, if you get confused hit the books until you start to grasp it
Do this and you will be much further ahead in the long run.Take a look at around at swap meets and you will see thousands of people who start a project, work on it for years and then one day just give up and sell it for a loss only to do the same thing over and over again never really ending up with what they want.

Take my project for example:
I would say for most people here, it isn't something they would want for themselves, and for good reason, the small block chevy makes a hell of a lot of sense. I looked at it a little differently and a straight six is what I chose. Now keep in mind, I may regret it when the T Bucket is done but I don't care. I already made that decision and i'm not looking back because I just want to get the car done and take my son to a car show, or go visit some of the folks here on the forum. And when it's all done I promise this, I'll have something that not only i'll be proud of, but that will be a blast to drive.....after all it's a T bucket.

One last note. Never dismiss any advice, tips, or pointers given by anybody here. This forum might not have been around since the earth cooled but the people here have been building T Buckets long before computers were even invented. They had forums in the old days, the difference is they were held in a garage.

Mike

Mike, don't think I was irritated at you. I just wanted you to know that I've been through a complete build before. It's just that I don't know what I should use with this engine, because it is a "dinosaur." I figured some of the 60 year olds around here did know. The rest of your advise is well reasoned and I like the fact you want to use a 300 6 cylinder.

Take a look at around at swap meets and you will see thousands of people who start a project, work on it for years and then one day just give up and sell it for a loss only to do the same thing over and over again never really ending up with what they want.

What's worse is finishing said project and selling it for a loss because you're afraid to drive it. I'm trying to avoid that again, which has kept me from pulling the trigger on a bucket body and building a frame.

HAceT,
You have nothing to apologize for. Whatever it is I'm building, it will be for me so I only have to make me happy. I keep asking because people come and go and eventually a fresh perspective comes along. For instance, it was only today that I now know a 460 will fit my 90 truck's transmission and that it will fit in the engine bay too. Do you have any idea how happy that makes me?

Telman2,
I'm glad you came back and expanded on what you said. When I saw...

If I had all the information we have available to us today and me being 25 again I would have never even thought of building a bucket.

I took that to mean you would not have built a t-bucket and I wanted to know why.

Here's where I set today. I'm going to have my house paid off in 5 more months. After that, I need to build whatever it is I'm building. I think I'll use those months wisely and buy some books on the 352, the C6 (I have one in the 85 anyway) and for that matter the 460.

So you're saying my ignorance is based on not knowing hotrod slang. Thank God, I though my engine needed a dandilion growing out of the carburetor.

There are a number of shops that will fit a turbo on your 6 for 5,000 or less. Way cheaper that you could get it running with the 352. There are kits around for 6 cyl Jeeps that could be adapted. In a mild 6-7 pound boost application you could end up with 400 HP.

jbisme said:
Bob, don't have to worry about emissions in Kansas... yet. I'm thinking of using a different engine for the truck.

Do they offer a blower for a inline 6 EFI? Now you got me on a mission to see.:cool:

Thanks Bob,

I did not know that could be done, and I'm going to take that into consideration. It's just over the past year several electrical items died on the 90 F150 and it had me thinking evil thoughts. As Telman2 suggested, I need to step back and determine exactly what my dream is.

My wife is urging me to fix up the 85 F150 that she bought last month for $300. I havn't a clue why she is so hooked on that clunker. :hijacked: If I had it my way, when the Mother-in-law refused delivery of the 85 truck, it would have been sold on ebay. But I guess that truck is starting to grow on me... like a fungus. :whistle:

Well this is all of good value to me-- I thougut use of an older corvett would be a great idea but even the Rat Rod boys thought that was funny-- also was thinking maby a vw bug front suspension would work well--this would make a good smile on this forum so now looking for rolling T needing engin and trans--have engin/trans available-- best advice offered here--think over what you would like the end product to be--then collect parts to fit

Well i read every post and i would like to say ACE brother you have the patience of a saint!!!!!! If i am ever about to jump i want you to talk me down HA HA . What happened to the SS minnow Jbiz.

OK, its my turn now. I always been to afraid for a t-bucket, too scary too costly. I ended up building 1 dune buggy and 2 kit cars and not satisfied. Until one day.............. with a small joke i ordered some plans. But i can tell you the t experience is priceless. Plus now somwe supliers can fit you up with a frame under 300.00 you can have an almost bolt-on project. And the body like a project boat you will be able to play with fibreglass. Plus at the end its going to cost 1/2 the price of the truck project and worth twice the resale value. But are you ready to have the wind blowing in your face, goose bumps and scare most of the street cars on the road with the pride of being the builder. Nobody is going to notice a farm truck................. everybody likes a T.:bugle:

OK, its my turn now. I always been to afraid for a t-bucket, too scary too costly. I ended up building 1 dune buggy and 2 kit cars and not satisfied. Until one day.............. with a small joke i ordered some plans. But i can tell you the t experience is priceless. Plus now somwe supliers can fit you up with a frame under 300.00 you can have an almost bolt-on project. And the body like a project boat you will be able to play with fibreglass. Plus at the end its going to cost 1/2 the price of the truck project and worth twice the resale value. But are you ready to have the wind blowing in your face, goose bumps and scare most of the street cars on the road with the pride of being the builder. Nobody is going to notice a farm truck................. everybody likes a t.

Build a Bucket!!!! :dummy: Hey....but whatever you decide....we're here to help.... :gum: :eek:k:

Well guys I have just read through this hole thread and I must congratulate you guys for having patience with jbism. As some one pointed out jbism needs to sit down and work out in his own mind what he really wants in the way of a project. Once he has made made decision,put some plans down in writing and start planing and list what he has he can use and what will need to be purchased and take it from there. But I noticed that he hasn't posted for awhile so maye he is still undecided on what he really wants. :unsure: :wacko: :wall: :wow: :thinkn: :sob: :shrug: :scream:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back