Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Northstar T is taking shape

As for the frozen North, if you find a map and look to the right of Boston you will see Nova Scotia. So I'm East. Therefore my winters aren't as bad as those folks "Up North",

uhhh..... okie dokie. :rolleyes:

Russ

Well I finally got the purge tank finished and installed today. I had to relocate a few items to make room for everything, and it's really filled up the engine compartment now, but I'm happy to report that the system works great!!. with the cap off the new tank I can see good circulation and the purge spay is spitting out air to beat the band after the freash refill in the radiator.

393330316.jpg

Russ

looks like it should have been there all the time. As always nice job
G

PS If you had straight up ram tubes it would distract from the header tank. LOL

Russ.
My ecu is over 15 years old and is not a sequential fire system It fires in pairs. There is no limp mode on it. I can only assume that Greg at Kinslers knows what he is talking about but I will check with him again. As you say one 02 sensor in one pipe of an 8 pipe system is not really that good at averaging.
Gerry

I think he means "open loop"...

I don't know about his computer but the stock EFI system in my firebird has a "open loop" and "closed loop" mode. When its in open loop is ignores the O2 sensor and just works off spark and fuel tables. If there is no o2 signal then it just stays in this state. When in closed loop it takes feedback from the O2 and makes adjustments to get the AFR correct. It runs in open loop for a wile until the engine warms up..
It also has a "limp mode" but this is to just get the car off the road and parked. If the ECU detects that the CPU is dead or has some flaw it stops thinking. It defaults to an analog circuit that uses the signal from the the distributor to fire the coil and injectors. There is zero spark advance and no adjustment in the fuel.. the engine will just barely run so you can pull off the road to a safe spot.

I think he means "open loop"...

I don't know about his computer but the stock EFI system in my firebird has a "open loop" and "closed loop" mode. When its in open loop is ignores the O2 sensor and just works off spark and fuel tables. If there is no o2 signal then it just stays in this state. When in closed loop it takes feedback from the O2 and makes adjustments to get the AFR correct. It runs in open loop for a wile until the engine warms up..
It also has a "limp mode" but this is to just get the car off the road and parked. If the ECU detects that the CPU is dead or has some flaw it stops thinking. It defaults to an analog circuit that uses the signal from the the distributor to fire the coil and injectors. There is zero spark advance and no adjustment in the fuel.. the engine will just barely run so you can pull off the road to a safe spot.

Hi
As Kinsler did the engine mapping for me I am going to believe their SW guys.
Gerry

I've been kind of treading water for the past week or two now, wile I await my appointment Monday 22nd with the State trooper to inspect for a VIN#.. The weather is looking really iffy, but it did get me thinking about what might happen if one gets caught out in a shower. in fact one day a couple weeks ago I drove the T to work and just the morning dew made me wish I had a wiper on the car..... soooooo. I carved out a block of aluminum to clamp over the windshield frame, fabricated a handle out of flat stock, stuck on a polished stainless drawer pull for a knob, and WALA. (five hours later), it's a windshield wiper. The arm is off a Corvair (they're stainless steel) and was shortened 5" to arc within the confines of the T windshield. I'm really happy with the mechanics of it, so it will come off now for a bit of spit and polish. hopefully the state trooper will like it also.:rolleyes: I'll take the car to my shop later today, casue it's nice and sunny at the moment, and from there it's litterally only a few hundred yards to where they do the inspections. even if it's raining on Monday, I should be able to make it from there. wish me luck.

Russ

393491235.jpg

393491239.jpg

Really neat. Mounting it on the side has given me ideas, but its always the same with your posts, I get ideas. Bet you could power it so no one could see the way it done. Really nice touch.

Good luck with the 'techy' guys
gerry

Well I finally got the purge tank finished and installed today. I had to relocate a few items to make room for everything, and it's really filled up the engine compartment now, but I'm happy to report that the system works great!!. with the cap off the new tank I can see good circulation and the purge spay is spitting out air to beat the band after the freash refill in the radiator.

393330316.jpg

Russ
Is the radiator under the cowl ? :jester:

Your dealing with police officers for this inspection? Be sure to bring donuts.

Bob

Yup. one State Police officer is assigned one day a week to inspect cars at the Oregon Dept of transportation facility. I"ve delt with him before and he's really a good guy. a car guy himself actually, and always interested in the car as well as the safety stuff. he doesn't let anything that looks unsafe go by, and that's a good thing, but he is very "understanding" about hot rods and bending the fine print when appropriate...... but I'll take donuts anyway :rolleyes:

Russ

Hey Russ,good luck with the Policing obficers and yeah bribery goes a long way not that I believe you need to do it,but hey letz get on his best side straight off.I lke your wiper also but can you take some more detailed photos of your top frame at the windscreen end for me please.

hehehe I loved that Russ... Guys here will keep the whole wiper assembly under the seat or?? and have it handy if needed, usually elict, motor and plugs into a cig. lighter/power socket... But a hand job works fine for what you are doing, when driving over 50 MPH, all the water goes around and keep you dry, under that ,, you are in trouble.. hehe DTDT many times :)

Hey Russ,good luck with the Policing obficers and yeah bribery goes a long way not that I believe you need to do it,but hey letz get on his best side straight off.I lke your wiper also but can you take some more detailed photos of your top frame at the windscreen end for me please.

sure thing. you mean like this?

393494008.jpg

The top of the windshield frame runs in the groove cut in the bottom of the wood header. held down in place by the "dogbone" which is attached along with the support rods.

393494012.jpg

lots of clutter in the background make it hard to see what's what, but let me know if you need a particular detail shot, or from another angle.

Russ

Thanks Russ and no it was the idea of using a wooden piece acroos the top that I was/is interested in and how it was attached to the screen. By using that piece of wood the trimmer can stable the cloth directly to it allowing for a stronger bond. I actually like your whole frame shape so looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I obtained the best looking part of my T today and had it installed.

393565560.jpg

Assigned VIN # for a 1923 Ford 2dr convertable.

I've been fretting over the process for weeks now, but it really went pretty smoothly. When I awoke at 6:15 this AM it was cloudy and 35 degrees, but no rain or snow, so that was a big plus to get the day started off right. I was in the ODOT parking lot at 8:45 when the trooper showed up, hopped out and said with a grin "looks like a 23 Ford to me". fabricated frame?" yup, "that will make it easy" (no VIN to bother searching for). "looks like the stock engine also?" with an even bigger grin. then he got right to asking for receipts for major components. he checked the numbers on the engine with his computer database, and announced it to be clean (not stolen), and that was about it. just a cursory look around the car and some idle chatter about how much he liked his job. "it's like having my own car show every monday" , and told me about the 76 Chev stepside that his son and he had just refurbished together. The DMV took a bit longer, but we got through it. I came away $193.00 poorer but still smiling all the way home.

now to tear it all apart and install new head gaskets, then get some uphoulster and the top finished. heck, it'll be a car again by spring for sure.:rolleyes:

Russ

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back