Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Northstar T is taking shape

Thats the bad thing with electronics they aren't really electrical. Because I have found out everthing electrical runs on smoke it works fine till you let the smoke out. Electronics on the otherhand must have a smokescreen.

I enjoy and appreciate the precision that an EFI system provides, however............................. we also have owned a model A couple for a year or two, which currently has a Pinto engine/trans. it's hard to drive wile looking in the mirror to see who'r running over us, so I recently found a 215 all aluminum 63' Buick V-8 and T-10 to put in it. guess what... it will retain it's points and condensor, as well as the Carter AFB carb. sometimes simple is good as well !!. or as Luke would say "sometimes nothing is a pretty cool hand".

Russ

I enjoy and appreciate the precision that an EFI system provides, however............................. we also have owned a model A couple for a year or two, which currently has a Pinto engine/trans. it's hard to drive wile looking in the mirror to see who'r running over us, so I recently found a 215 all aluminum 63' Buick V-8 and T-10 to put in it. guess what... it will retain it's points and condensor, as well as the Carter AFB carb. sometimes simple is good as well !!. or as Luke would say "sometimes nothing is a pretty cool hand".

Russ

hey Russ
Going to start a thread about the 215 Buick as its the most popular V* in UK rods. Wannna join in?
Gerry

hey Russ
Going to start a thread about the 215 Buick as its the most popular V* in UK rods. Wannna join in?
Gerry

Sure. why not. Do they use the Buick, or the Rover successor? I'd think the Rover would be a lot more available to ya'all. either way, it's a neat little engine. I had a 63 Olds F-85 back in 68 or so. 215 HP, factory 4 speed, buckets, etc. it was a fun little car till a "buddy" of mine totalled it. Maybe a Brabham modified 215 will show up for a new bucket T project eh??

Russ

If memory serves me, didn't they have the Turbo-Fire version of that engine that was in fact turbocharged way back then and also has water injection? Russ, you wind up getting all the cool engines. Gerry, do you know what a late model Audi 4.2 V8 diesel engine is going for in the UK boneyards? Guys already think I'm nuts, but I would love to have that light weight diesel in my Track-T. 327 hp stock and a little over 500 lb/ft also stock and 80 lbs lighter than a sbc.

Bob

Just a quick update: I've received and installed my replacement ECM (and installed a good ground to it). it. runs MUCH better now, although I do need to rework some of my fuel maps and settings yet again. I fiddled with them quite a bit wile trying to figure out the problems I was having prior to realising the ECM was terminal.
I've also installed the brass script on the rad screen, a puke tank on the radiator, and have been playing with some exhaust heat shields. Winter has reared it's ugly head in Oregon the past couple of days, so work on the projects will show a slightly slower pace (what's the hurry. can't drive it now anyway). Winter will bring plenty of time to build a top frame, get the uphulstery done, and finish up a few details I have in mind anyway.

Russ

Attachments

• 1 misc 052.jpg
    1 misc 052.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 65
Well Russ,see what happens when you put that teeaser up on the other site???I just had to come visiting to spend time reading your build thread. :tnku: Can I congratulate you on an awesome build,very very nice. Can I also say that the two things trouble me...(1) did the body come with the pickup bed moulded so low to the body?...(2) I understand about your fears on some dick putting some unwanted object down your intake tubes,but IMHO the straight pipes with a bell type top would look excellent too... (3) with engines using that injection system does the length of the air intake tubes matter???
One last thing is the front tyres radial tyres and I am so envious of your wheels tyre combination, and also the paint colour choice,love it.

Well it's about time you got back over here where you belong. :rolleyes: I kept losing control over there about several members political rants, so I tread lightly, and not often, when I do visit the site. not a problem you see over here as a rule.
anyway.... thanks for the kind words about my T. yes the pickup bed was attached to the body when I got it (used). I never realised it was mounted any lower than others however :dunno: . I do somewhat agree on the intake tubes. I also like the look of the straight tubes, but not having a decent air filter system, and some technical issues with computer sensor location, along with the fear of vandals, swayed me towards the current system. I've concidered making another set, in the straight up position, to use for shows and special cruise nights, but it's a ways down on my priority list at the moment.
The length of the intake tubes does have some minor effect on the engine power curve, but for street use it's really not of concern to me. longer tubes move the power curve down a bit and vicea versa.
So now that you're here, and I think others would agree with me, you need to stay around more. love the look of your ride, and we need more people here from over the pond to torment. :shrug: .:rofl:

Cheers,
Russ

Well Russ,see what happens when you put that teeaser up on the other site???I just had to come visiting to spend time reading your build thread. :tnku: Can I congratulate you on an awesome build,very very nice. Can I also say that the two things trouble me...(1) did the body come with the pickup bed moulded so low to the body?...(2) I understand about your fears on some dick putting some unwanted object down your intake tubes,but IMHO the straight pipes with a bell type top would look excellent too... (3) with engines using that injection system does the length of the air intake tubes matter???
One last thing is the front tyres radial tyres and I am so envious of your wheels tyre combination, and also the paint colour choice,love it.

So now that you're here, and I think others would agree with me, you need to stay around more. love the look of your ride, and we need more people here from over the pond to torment. :shrug: .:rofl:

Cheers,
Russ
[/quote]

And this group will not banish you to Pitcarin Island. LOL Welcome

Bob

(2) I understand about your fears on some dick putting some unwanted object down your intake tubes

I thought about this with the Fad. Decided to make a one piece cover (could be vinyl, leather, plastic etc etc) with a seam running around the bottom, so it cover all 8 ram tubes in one go. Put a wire cable through the seem with an eye at each end.
Put the cover over the tubes, pull the wire tight so it cant be taken off. Finally get a small padlock and padlock the two eyes together. Its quick simple and stops someone putting things down your tube!! if you catch my drift.

For the sake of 15 seconds to put it on or off the peace of mind is really worth the effort

If your really keen have the cover embroidered with something.

Gerry

Torment away guys and yes I should stay around awhile. I personally don't mind a wee bit of political bullsh#t every now and them as I find it interesting to hear what the Joe Citizen on the ground is thinking about what direction their country is going and lets face it,what happens in the USA has a follow on effect around the world. In-saying that though,I class myself a christian, alright a failing one most of the time,and as a Christian there is only going to be one leader to rule over the world soon,but I suppose religion is a no no here too??? :rolleyes:
Russ may know this already from the other site but I will tell you a wee bit about myself if Russ doesn't mind me highjacking his thread for a little while. :hijacked: I'm been out of work for just over a year waiting for knee replacement surgery since first having trouble with my knees back in the late 90's and having 3 operations to sort them then but not to the success that the surgeon hoped for so at the moment I am recovering from having my screws and metal plates removed at end of sept.this year. So work on the T has ground to a halt as I can only spend a short time up on my legs before the pain becomes too bad. I promise to resize some photos of the car as it sits in the garage now and post away on a new thread.
Thanks for the welcome back guys,take care of yourslves.
Whiplash. :bow:

Making a little headway on my top frame. I've decided on a ridgid frame, as opposed to a fold down top, due to the complexity and having that big lump to carry around on the top of the bed when it's folded down. T buckets are supose to be attractive, and a waded up top laying of the bed didn't seem to fit that image IMHO.

I stuck the cardboard template in there to make it easier to visualize the finished product.

393038560.jpg

Having never built a top for a T before, I'm not sure how it's supose to be done, but hopefully this will all work out. I had long ago incorporated a bracket in each side of the body to attach a top frame to, so that had been taken care of, but the front attachmant point had to reveal itself to me in it's time. what I ended up doing was to cut a 3/8" deep groove in the bottom of a piece of 3/4" x 3" Birch. the groove sits down over the top of the windshield frame. I then fabricated a dogbone shaped piece, the upper end of which is welded to my tops side rail (which is screwed to the birch top plate), and the lower end gets bolted in along with the upper end of the windshield support rods. this seems to give a nice solid connection, a place to tack the front of the tops cloth to, and keeps to whole top assembly easy to remove with just 4 bolts and the rear snaps that will be along the back of the body.

393038556.jpg

And here is the finished product !! the blue adds a nice touch to the car, don't you think?

393041734.jpg

Actually I was playing with the idea of making the cloth portion myself, and using this old plastic tarp to see what kind of cuts and darts would be needed to make the material lay flat. I believe I'll give it a go!! the tarp is all one piece and the only cuts are at the rear corners, plus one very small dart at the side of the center bow. I'll use a piece of shock cord, sewed into a small pocket, around the full length of the side opening to keep that area tight. a couple of small velcro straps here and there to hold the fabric close to the framework, and we're golden [it says here in fine print].

I decided on the 3 diamond rear window as that should give some support between the openings to keep the back smooth and tight.

393041735.jpg

That is one nice top you should start selling those custom fit.

Looking good Russ. The middle bow isn't too high as some I have seen so I will give you the thumbs up also. :thumb:

That is one nice top you should start selling those custom fit.

They're universal fit, and come with razor blade and a roll of duct tape :rolleyes: . only $19.95.... but wait!! order now and receive a can of Krylon in the color of your choice!!

Thanks Ted.

Whiplash
That's the reason I like to take the time to mock up with cardboard, old tarps, or whatever else is handy. it really helps to visualize before comitting to weld. I originally had the center bow higher, but lowered it after one of the early mock ups.

Cheers,
Russ

They're universal fit, and come with razor blade and a roll of duct tape :rolleyes: . only $19.95.... but wait!! order now and receive a can of Krylon in the color of your choice!!

Thanks Ted.

Whiplash
That's the reason I like to take the time to mock up with cardboard, old tarps, or whatever else is handy. it really helps to visualize before comitting to weld. I originally had the center bow higher, but lowered it after one of the early mock ups.

Cheers,
Russ

Now that's funny right their !!!!!! :yuk:

WOW!!! Being gone for a while, I had the privilege of being able to fast forward your build and am I impressed! EXCELLENT!!!

Coming from a man of your ability, I take that as a very high compliment LuminAl. Thank you!!
All I know is I've been having a really good time building it.

:hoist: ,

Russ

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back