Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Not much progress

LumenAl said:
Interesting approach to the transmission rear mount... :thumbsup:

Stole the idea from the 'Hot rodders bible' (Motorbooks), I've got three master cylinders to go in so the cross piece may come in handy if I need a bit of support up the rear.

Picked up my prop and drive shafts today. I'm using a Jag axle from a 420 which is 55" width as standard so no need to narrow it. 3.5:1 ratio which works out fine with the tyres I'll be running.

Jag drive shafts are rumored to be a bit weak and I can back this up because I had to replace the ones on my current ride after they had twisted. These new ones look well up to the job (2" tube!) and were made by a very good company.
I can get on with the rear of the chassis and axle location now.

Things have been busy lately, at home and work but have made a bit of progress. Got it on rolling on four wheels so I pushed it out the workshop and took a few photo's... Plenty still to do.

tea boy said:
what steering box and springs on the front did you go for .

I've used a Ford Transit van steering box, the only slight worry being the number of turns lock to lock. Not sure when/if I shorten the pitman arm its all going to work out ok. It's not going to need power steering, that's for sure:lol:

The quarter elipticals are Possie ones from Speedway but I've made my own mounting brackets so I can get them underneath the chassis rails. I'm going to adjust the ride height with tapered shims, I hope:lol:

:thumbsup: Pete that is a sweet looking T.

Progress is a bit slow again...

Made a support frame for under the dash, this will hold the steering column and throttle pedal once I've sorted out where it's going. It's a bit tight!

I've not welded anything on the pedal box yet as I've not decided the final position of anything. I'm also part way through machining all the bits to make a 'GAB' style steeering column with the turn signal switch running down the centre.

I did struggle bending the tubes, they seem to kink a lot. One idea I had when trying to fill them with sand. I welded a large nut to the end of the tube put the bolt in, filled with sand from the other end. Packed it in really tight then welded another nut on. I then knocked it on the ground a bit to pack the sand and then tighted the bolts down. I was also able to take the bolt out and add more sand. This seem to help a lot.

Really nice how everything is pretty much level makes it look lower than it really is.

tea boy said:
Scuttle cage looks neat .

Thanks, it's the first time I've tried to make anything like that.

tea boy said:
Nice to meet you at Billing late mouth .

Likewise, it's good to put a face to the name and have a chat. Have you any photo's of your project?

The T its jammed in the garage at the moment.Hope to get it out at end of July but my world is full of surprises I brock my middle finger last Sunday when a piece of metel snatched in the bench grinder,crushed and f...ed the end of my finger. I looked at it and thought that it looked a bit neff raped it in my handkerchief and got my son to take me to hospital.My prize is 2 weeks off work .

I've been really busy at work so not much progress again but I thought I'd push it out the workshop and take a few new photos.

I'm now thinking I might not use the pickup bed but have a round tank instead.

Made some seat bases, I'll get them upholstered once I'm finished.

PeteT, it's looking great. I don't know if anybody told you the gas and brake pedal are on the wrong side. LOL

Hope everyhting heals up okay.

Eric

eafree said:
PeteT, it's looking great. I don't know if anybody told you the gas and brake pedal are on the wrong side. LOL

Hope everyhting heals up okay.

Eric

Its ok it's going to run on petrol not 'gas' lol

Love those tires, but are they on the wrong side of the car? They look unidirectional, there should be a little rotation arrow on the sidewall. I may be wrong though.

Those aren't tires... they're tyres. They would be on the wrong side of the car in the US, but they are correct for the UK, where everything is on the "wrong" side! ;) (Actually, if I remember correctly, Pete acknowledged they are on the wrong side earlier in this thread or in another one.)

Wicked50Coupe said:
Love those tires, but are they on the wrong side of the car? They look unidirectional, there should be a little rotation arrow on the sidewall. I may be wrong though.

They probably are but I'm sure they might have to come off before I drive it lol. I swap them round then.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back