Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Parts list?

Keeper

Okay this may be a silly question for some but I am looking for sort of a generic parts list for building a bucket. Nothing so specific as this bolt and this washer. But something like.

1 - engine - mounts, brackets, alternator, distributor, starter
2 - radiator - mounts, hoses, support
3 - front suspension - axle, spindles, rotors, calipers, shocks, spring, tierods....

I think you get the idea.

If there is one already available that would be great, if not I may just start one on my own and post it up so we can all edit, add, to it.

B

Keeper said:
Okay this may be a silly question for some but I am looking for sort of a generic parts list for building a bucket. Nothing so specific as this bolt and this washer. But something like.

1 - engine - mounts, brackets, alternator, distributor, starter
2 - radiator - mounts, hoses, support
3 - front suspension - axle, spindles, rotors, calipers, shocks, spring, tierods....

I think you get the idea.

If there is one already available that would be great, if not I may just start one on my own and post it up so we can all edit, add, to it.

B

Don't forget blood, sweat, and tears. They'll definitely be busted knuckles, smashed fingers, burned legs, and a bruise or two.

I was able to get a good idea of what was needed by first sifting thru catalogs from CCR, TP and Speedway. Then I was able to fine tune a list by continually reading members threads in this forum. There is an absolute wealth of info hidden in these threads, just takes some time and effort to locate everything you need.

Before starting this project, I was dumb as a sack of hammers:eek:....still am....but more knowledgable and fun now...lol

all-world1 said:
I was able to get a good idea of what was needed by first sifting thru catalogs from CCR, TP and Speedway. Then I was able to fine tune a list by continually reading members threads in this forum. There is an absolute wealth of info hidden in these threads, just takes some time and effort to locate everything you need.

Before starting this project, I was dumb as a sack of hammers:eek:....still am....but more knowledgable and fun now...lol

I now have all the catalogs and also the ccr plans. I think I will just sit down with some paper and start mapping things out.

I have most of the major components, body, frame, engine, trans, rear end, front axle. I am afraid its all the 'other' things that are going to get me in trouble!!

Tbucit said:
Most of what you mentioned is subjective I like BBC's but other like SBF's same with the drive train. Decide what you what and build it no matter what, it will be yours.

Randall

True but I wasn't so much looking for "350 Chev engine" it was more of engine, transmission, radiator. Not really the specific build parts more of an outline I guess.

Sometime when i"m trying to come up with a way to mount something or a bracket, I'll sketch it out and set it aside. Then a couple of days later I'll make another sketch without looking at the first one. Sometimes if the second one dosen't feel right, I'll do another sketch a couple of days later. Then I lay all of the sketches out in front of me, combine the features I like from each sketch and there it is. The part I wanted all along.

Ron

Youngster said:
Sometime when i"m trying to come up with a way to mount something or a bracket, I'll sketch it out and set it aside. Then a couple of days later I'll make another sketch without looking at the first one. Sometimes if the second one dosen't feel right, I'll do another sketch a couple of days later. Then I lay all of the sketches out in front of me, combine the features I like from each sketch and there it is. The part I wanted all along.

Ron

These are also the kind of things that need to go in the Tech File. Great tip!

I do something similar when starting a new build. I take a spiral bound notebook and make it my "build book." On one page I will put the date, and "Things to do." That page will have a subtitle like "Frame." What it will end up like is this:

Things to do...........Frame...........7/19/08

1) Cut 2 x 3 tubing to proper sizes.

2) Fabricate front crossmember.

3) Fabricate rear crossmember.

4) Weld up side rails.

5) Weld in front crossmember.

6) Weld in rear crossmember.

7) Fabricate engine mounts.

8) Fabricate transmission mount.

etc, etc...............

I do that for all the other stuff, like rear suspension, front suspension, engine, body, etc. Then at night when I am done working on it I sit down and scratch off the jobs I got done that day. It is a little psychological treat I give myself, it feels good to eliminate one more task from the list. It also lets me see where I am and what needs to be done.

As the months go on I keep updating it by adding more pages and dates. Thought this little game I play with myself might help someone else out. :)

Oh, in the back of the book I log all the part numbers I have used or at least a description of what component I used. That way, when I have to buy a new seal, fan belt, or other part down the road, I don't have to guess.

Don

Oh man, I gotta have a list when I go into the shop or I run around in circles for half an hour. Don, you're so right about the head trip when you can cross things off the list at the end of the day.

Ron

I do a thing very similar. Helps keep the head straight. One bad habit I have is if I am working something. I go to bed at night and finish the job in my sleep. I get up in the morning and go out and do it for real. It takes about four cups of coffee to get going however. :)

I can relate to working on the bucket in your sleep. I do some of my best work while sleeping and also while taking a shower. I have worked out many "unsolvable" problems in the shower. Funny how relaxing the body can help clear the brain also.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back