Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Pics from my build.

I would definitely mount to the frame directly or via a brace or bracket mounted to the frame. I wouldn't personally trust the glass alone. I molded steel into the floor that serves as the rear body mounts as well as the seat and seat belt mounts. Everything is tied to the frame. I'm sure there are many ways to do it depending on your particular design.

I would definitely mount to the frame directly or via a brace or bracket mounted to the frame. I wouldn't personally trust the glass alone. I molded steel into the floor that serves as the rear body mounts as well as the seat and seat belt mounts. Everything is tied to the frame. I'm sure there are many ways to do it depending on your particular design.

I'm planning on both...well nuts fastening the floor to the frame rails and crossmember, and through nuts and bolts sandwiching the floor, body, and either steel or aluminum to the frame outriggers. The seat(s) and seat belts will be fastened through the floor and tie into the frame rails and/or crossmember(s).

On another sight the discussion was some for frame mount and some not. Those not for the frame mount felt that if in a bad accident and the fiber glass sheared from the frame, the seat belt rapped around your mid section would be the only thing trying to keep the two together. You may get cut in half.

On another sight the discussion was some for frame mount and some not. Those not for the frame mount felt that if in a bad accident and the fiber glass sheared from the frame, the seat belt rapped around your mid section would be the only thing trying to keep the two together. You may get cut in half.
Well, if the body isn't securely fastened to the frame, that's a definite possibility. I guess you have to consider your particular build. My body will not sheer from the frame, it would have to shatter, so either way, the seat belt likely won't make much difference in that scenario. Not to make light of it, I've been in life altering events, just build it as safe as you feel comfortable with. I would think that the seat belts would pull through the glass before the body would sheer for the simple fact that there are more body mounts than seat belt mounts. But if that's a concern to you, how about fabricating a steel plate fastened to the floor that serves as a frame/body mount and seat belt mount. Use grade eight bolts on the belts and grade five on the mounts. If you get in a disaster, that should allow the driver to remain with the body if it was to sheer. Just a thought.

A high impact hit, in one of these cars, is going to be VERY bad. In a glass car, IMO, it won't really matter what the seat belts are bolted to. Mine were bolted to the body, but I rarely wore them. I'd rather get thrown out, than stay trapped in a glass box and even getting thrown out is a gamble at best. So, my thought is, with YOUR car, use your best judgement. In the end, if it's your time, it's your time.

This guy wasn't wearing a belt and witnesses said he got thrown out. I don't recall if he lived or not. This happened last year, in Oregon, I believe. In this case, he may have been glad he was tossed. Maybe.

And PLEASE! DO NOT SIDE TRACK THIS THREAD WITH THAT TIRED DEBATE OVER WEARING SEAT BELTS OR NOT!

WreckedT-Bucket.jpg

The way I see it, we are riding in a four wheel motorcycle. You just don't have to put your feet down at a stop light. I have to take pictures of my car when it is done and send them in with the paper work to get it titled. Seat belts will look nice in the pictures. As far as safety goes, I believe they will help in a low speed bump or quick stop. In a crash as pictured above, only God can make that call. I will be mounting to the body adding steel plates under the floor and bolt through.

Looking at that pic makes me glad that I put the effort into incorporating as much steel into the mounts as I did. You can't alter fate, but you can give yourself the best chance to survive. If you are putting the time, money, effort, etc into building one, put the forethought and effort into making it as strong and safe as possible. What's your life or ability to walk worth? And by the way, I was in a head on with NO seat belt. I was rewarded with a crushed skull and lost the vision in my left eye, among other delightful injuries, BUT the steering column knocked the rear glass out of the cab of my full sized truck, SO if I was wearing the belt, I would have likely been killed by it. So there is no pat answer to the seat belt debate. I do wear them most of the time now, however. Just my .02 worth. But seriously, why wouldn't you put some strong mounts on your build? It's not that difficult. I do not intend to insult or make light of anyone, just my thoughts.

When I first started explaining to my wife what I want to build, I used the popular 4 wheel motorcycle analogy...and that the body would be more or less a fairing. I think the fairing analogy has some application here. I don't know of any motorcycles where the seat is mounted to the fairing as a main means of support...they're securely fastened to the frame. For my build, the floor, body, seat, and lap belts will be as securely fastened to the frame as reasonably possible. It'll be up to the individual occupants if the want to use the belts or not. I will be using them.

Do what you can, to give YOURSELF, peace of mind.

Wow that's incredible, wonder if he had insurance that paid for the restoration.

Good to hear that the driver and eventually the car both made it. I cringe and have flashbacks whenever I hear of an under semi trailer accident. Back in the 80s, from less than 50 feet away, I witnessed an elderly couple in a 70s Toronado pull out from a crossroad and directly under a semi trailer that was doing around 60mph.

It also makes me wonder what caused the the car to go sideways...Road conditions? Driver error? Mechanical failure? This is just an off the cuff impression, but it seems to me that coil-over mount failure is too common in loss of control hot rod accidents.

I been working on the interior while I wait for the windshield tape. I use rubberized door mat for the floor of the bucket Have no idea how long it will last but, it was cheep enough to use. Under $40 bucks for two mats. I did not glue it down. I may use carpet tape if it moves around while getting in and out. So far it seems ok. I do have a question. I put an extinguisher in and wanted to know if I have to leave the instruction on it or can I take them off. I think the all chrome extinguisher will look nice.
20160730_133400_zpsbakxpmmy.jpg
20160730_135428_zpsld1qtewd.jpg

Finally got my windshield installed. Big thanks to CCR for sending me the thinner material for installing the glass. Big help. also mounted the wind wings. Looking at side mirrors right now not sure where to mount them. I like the oval mirrors from billet specialties a little pricey but they sure do look nice.
20160807_115236_zpsn4jk6cck.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back