Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Project "Obie" Got it's first parts.

I built mine the same way and have not had any problems. You did bring out one important point that many are not aware of and that is to tap all holes with fine thread, very important.

Jim
I did the same thing when I mounted my upper shock mounts. I normally don't use fine thread, but when I started thinking about it, I might have gotten only one or two coarse threads in 3/16. It made sense to go with fine instead. I was still a little leery, but I got 3-4 good threads in there I think, so it should be ok...

Glad someone around here is building a bucket! I'm up in Macon and look forward to following this build.

Glad someone around here is building a bucket! I'm up in Macon and look forward to following this build.

There is a big car show and swap meet down in Moultrie Ga that you may or may not know about, and it's this coming Friday-Sunday. I don't have the link but just google moultrie ga car show and you will easily find it. I'm going to it this Sunday and pick up RPM's stretch body, and He is having a booth set up. I'm sure Ron will have a lot of his stuff down there, and you can pick up some great deals on used parts that will help your build come in a little cheaper, or just get some great ideas. I haven't seen very many buckets down there but there are always a few, and lots of antiques, hot rods and muscle cars. Really nice blend, but usually without the rice burner crowd! Not knocking them, just aint my cup-o-T. (pardon the pun). They have one every fall, and in the spring, so make you a list of things you could use, and check them out. If you can make it Sunday, shoot me an email to daledlancaster@hotmail.com, and I'll send you my number and maybe we can meet up at Ron's booth. Good thing about Sunday at the meet, is a lot of people don't want to load their stuff back up, and are willing to sell at a good price, rather than haul it back home. Hope you can make it.

Is this enough to call it progress? :thumbsup: 3 more days and the body will be sitting there as well. It may start looking like a car after that. Spent about $20 on engine degreaser and car wash and it's still nasty. 40 years in the same old truck was a lot of years of nasty. Picking up the frame material Friday as well so I'll spend some time moving components around next week till I decide where it's all going and get the stance right and I'll put a new blade on the saw, pick up some new welding rods and the fun will start. I'm really enjoying finally doing what I've wanted to do for years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 131
That sure looks link the radiator I bought. if it is it is a bit tall. you will probably want to lower it a bit or it will look higher than the cowl.

That sure looks link the radiator I bought. if it is it is a bit tall. you will probably want to lower it a bit or it will look higher than the cowl.

Yes it is a bit tall. 24". I'm afraid it's not going to fit in a T style shroud. Haven't got it in yet but we will see. I don't want it hanging out if the bottom of the shell.

It was nice meeting you today. Sorry we could not spend more time and just visit.

9 hour drive back home and I would have been in a hurry as well! :sleep: Thanks again for all your help, and the body is fantastic!

Got it home and channelled it over the frame and got everything set in place. Decided to leave the frame at 25" width at the cowl so I could channel the firewall closer in so as not to cut into the lip on the cowl. (Pictures below). Frame at radiator is 20 1/2 and should be about 27 at the kick. I really wanted to tuck the frame in close to the radiator and engine which IMHO just looks neat. Then 33 " engine compartment leaves me enough room to run stock HEI and build a nice shroud for the electric fan. (Parts easier to find on the road for stock distributor.). Frame at the front 6" ground clearance and 7 1/2 at the back, 4 1/2 " for the radiator and 5 inches for the oil pan so all is above the scrub line. LOTS of room for the legs with the long body, and plenty of room for all 3 pedals. Hope to post pics of actual steel frame by next weekend!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 100
the correct word here is VROOM, VROOM!

yup!

Well my shifter finally showed up Friday so I spent a little time today mounting it and the way it's designed I can mount it pretty much anywhere except the shift pattern will be backwards because I wanted the shift arms down instead of up which is no big deal to me, and looks like I'll have plenty of room. With that said, the wife who is very supportive of me in ANYTHING I do since she's the bestest on the planet, is really getting into the building a car from scratch thing and has gone so far as posting pictures of us working on it together on her Facebook page. If you knew her you would know she is a girly girl and NOT a "car" kind of lady. She has never driven a manual tranny and I'm thinking of going auto withher driving in mind. She is already asking what kind of car I'll build her when this one is done, and has been going through the thousands of pictures I have on the pc So looks like this build is about to get easier. I just think old school needs a stick but of my wife is really getting into this car (making spending money a lot easier for me), then by God bring on the dexron II and by by clutch pedal, I Ain't Complaining!!!! :thumbsup:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back