Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Racthet RIde

Nice work. Those mounts turned out great. It looks like the body on the Nick Conti bucket is much shorter than yours, no? And maybe set back a few inches. As a result he was able to have the engine/radiator set back to have all that room to the front wheels.

I hope I got the rear tires forward enough. That is one thing I like about the Nick Conti bucket. I know he channeled the body as well but in general trying to mimic his build.

Just remember to leave sufficient tire to body clearance.

My body is about 3" wider than the original Ts, so from the start I've been paranoid about that clearance while trying to set the body back as you are doing. I'm shooting for the top rear edge of the body being directly over the center of the wheels/axle...which looks close to what Conti's bucket is. I've gotten a 61.5" wide axle to help with that. On paper, with 4" backspace wheels, and relatively narrow 9.25" section width tires, there is around 3.75" clearance. With 3" suspension travel/articulation that quickly closes up to around 1.75".

If I remember right you are using an S10 axle, which I believe is 54.5" wide...a good bit narrower than mine, with what looks to be a good bit wider tire section width. If it were me, I'd test the suspension articulation with the body temporarily in place, before you finalize the body placement.

Just remember to leave sufficient tire to body clearance.

My body is about 3" wider than the original Ts, so from the start I've been paranoid about that clearance while trying to set the body back as you are doing. I'm shooting for the top rear edge of the body being directly over the center of the wheels/axle...which looks close to what Conti's bucket is. I've gotten a 61.5" wide axle to help with that. On paper, with 4" backspace wheels, and relatively narrow 9.25" section width tires, there is around 3.75" clearance. With 3" suspension travel/articulation that quickly closes up to around 1.75".

If I remember right you are using an S10 axle, which I believe is 54.5" wide...a good bit narrower than mine, with what looks to be a good bit wider tire section width. If it were me, I'd test the suspension articulation with the body temporarily in place, before you finalize the body placement.
The rearend width depends on if it came from a 2 or 4wd, 4wd was wider, 2 inches, I think. I am also jockeying the body position to gain me space, I reccomend mounting the tires, etc and fitting the components together to avoid a redo, jmo. Sometimes plans on paper and reality don't agree.

The rearend width depends on if it came from a 2 or 4wd, 4wd was wider, 2 inches, I think. I am also jockeying the body position to gain me space, I reccomend mounting the tires, etc and fitting the components together to avoid a redo, jmo. Sometimes plans on paper and reality don't agree.

Yup...on all counts. There's no substitute for mocking up with the the intended components...but the plans on paper (or screen) helps get close. And in my case catch a lot of "DUH!"s and forehead smacks...LOL

I am pretty sure Conti's body was the same as mine. The picture was distorted ater resizing though.
As for clearence the tires are what I am running but the rims are not. New rims will be same size but can be a different offset if needed.

Well Monday I finished the shock mounts and got them tack welded to frame. Called Ron and through our conversation I learned I did a couple things wrong. What a great guy to spend his time helping us newbies out. Nothing a little grinding of tack welds can't fix but just thought I was into a roller. lol Left it a roller for now until steering box bracket, steering box and a few other goodies show up. I can't say enough about how easy Ron is to deal with. He has never once made me feel stupid (I am sure he quietly shook his head a couple times though) lol I also need to move tie rod to bottom front. Here are some pictures I snapped.
PS I decided to buy a 210amp welder for home so I don't feel so rushed trying to do things at work and get it back out of the shop. This way I can do more at home and take my time more. Took away from some of the parts I wanted to order but the welder will be a nice addition to my garage at home.

2015-01-19 19.32.03.gif

2015-01-19 19.28.49.gif
2015-01-19 19.29.05.gif
2015-01-19 19.49.28.gif
2015-01-19 19.52.39.gif
2.gif

I think they will be okay going bar to bar. At least here there is a bar every couple hundred yards. lol Called a Rigid. lol No sense in messing up a 300 dollar set of coil overs while I am still building this thing, This was in the Youngster plans and I thought it was a good idea. We use to take off our racing shocks and put in solid links while trailering and storing the car.

It sure would be nice to borrow some scales to weigh the rear end of the finished (almost) car before selecting the coil over springs. Looking good, by the way!
Lee

Well Monday I finished the shock mounts and got them tack welded to frame. Called Ron and through our conversation I learned I did a couple things wrong. What a great guy to spend his time helping us newbies out. Nothing a little grinding of tack welds can't fix but just thought I was into a roller. lol Left it a roller for now until steering box bracket, steering box and a few other goodies show up. I can't say enough about how easy Ron is to deal with. He has never once made me feel stupid (I am sure he quietly shook his head a couple times though) lol I also need to move tie rod to bottom front. Here are some pictures I snapped.
PS I decided to buy a 210amp welder for home so I don't feel so rushed trying to do things at work and get it back out of the shop. This way I can do more at home and take my time more. Took away from some of the parts I wanted to order but the welder will be a nice addition to my garage at home.

View attachment 10866

View attachment 10865
View attachment 10867
View attachment 10868
View attachment 10869
View attachment 10870
Look good! You won't regret buying that welder. I don't know what I would do without one.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words. Having everything I need at home will help me separate things from my work place in the future. Sure they don't mind me using the shop anytime and consider it one of my benefits but when I work a 10 hour shift and then try and work on the car I get burnt out. Nice to go home have supper and then walk out in to the garage. My plan is to start delegating smaller task at a time. The sum of those small task done on a regular basis will equal more than planning a weekend at my work shop and then rushing all weekend to get a certain amount done. Then usually redoing something cause I rushed. lol
Excited to be going to a hot rod and motorcycle show this weekend in Rock Island. Maybe I will find some little things I am needing. After that I will heading over to buy my welder. Hoping to be able to haul car back home this weekend. That 1" snow turned into 3 or 4 and the roads are wet and with the warmer temps will remain that way. Don't want to get salt and water all over the bare frame. May have to wrap it up in a tarp or something. Maybe it will refreeze at night and Saturday morning I can haul it home before roads get wet again.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words. Having everything I need at home will help me separate things from my work place in the future. Sure they don't mind me using the shop anytime and consider it one of my benefits but when I work a 10 hour shift and then try and work on the car I get burnt out. Nice to go home have supper and then walk out in to the garage. My plan is to start delegating smaller task at a time. The sum of those small task done on a regular basis will equal more than planning a weekend at my work shop and then rushing all weekend to get a certain amount done. Then usually redoing something cause I rushed. lol
Excited to be going to a hot rod and motorcycle show this weekend in Rock Island. Maybe I will find some little things I am needing. After that I will heading over to buy my welder. Hoping to be able to haul car back home this weekend. That 1" snow turned into 3 or 4 and the roads are wet and with the warmer temps will remain that way. Don't want to get salt and water all over the bare frame. May have to wrap it up in a tarp or something. Maybe it will refreeze at night and Saturday morning I can haul it home before roads get wet again.
Managing all of the small stuff can become a huge task. I learned to make a list and force myself to pay attention to it. It helps me when I obey my rules...

Always use rule #1----ENJOY what you are doing or find something else to do. Frustration is the one thing that makes most people give up on their projects.

Always use rule #1----ENJOY what you are doing or find something else to do. Frustration is the one thing that makes most people give up on their projects.
I agree. You have to think things through and organize the tasks so you aren't chasing your tail, and make enough progress to keep motivated. It's easy to get fragmented because one thing seems to lead to the next. Do what you can and enjoy, farm out the things that you don't, then you can see some progress. Sometimes, even if you know how to do everything, it seems overwhelming without help. I overestimate my ability on projects. I know how to do it, but underestimate the time and energy required. Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative!

Well I got my parts from Ron Saturday but I had to clean the garage out, put up new lights, wire for a 220 outlet and organize. So needles to say I didn't get anything done. I did however get a warm fuzzy feeling when I rolled it outside to do the task I mentioned. Had a couple neighbors stop by and take a look at it. Snowing and wind blowing 30mph today so not much happening in garage today2015-01-24 13.01.57-1.gif 2015-01-24 13.02.38.gif . :-(

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back