Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Scratch built steering column

Youngster

VIP
VIP Member
I've been asked how I build a steering column from scratch. Here are acouple of quick sketches.

Interesting! Do you spline the tube where the wheel adapter goes and do you use a Grant adapter kit?

With so many using Corvair boxes I just used the Corvair column AND the self canceling turn signals. Why not? Oh And I,m running a '54 Ford truck box.

Sorry, I should have taken more time with this.

The steering shaft can come from any car you choose as long as it is a 3/4" shaft. The steering wheel adaptor can be from Grant or any other company. You just need to know what car the shaft came from when you buy the adaptor so you get the correct spline in the hub.

One other thing, the rubber bushing at the top of the tube dosen't need any lub. Oil or grease will harden the rubber and cause it to squeek.

Ron

Thanks for the diagrams Youngster. I noticed that some columns are thru the floor and some thru the firewall....what's your preference?

I mount the 'vair box above the rail and build a toeboard between the fire wall and the floor. The column usually goes thru at the top of the toeboard.

Ron

Youngster said:
Sorry, I should have taken more time with this.

The steering shaft can come from any car you choose as long as it is a 3/4" shaft. The steering wheel adaptor can be from Grant or any other company. You just need to know what car the shaft came from when you buy the adaptor so you get the correct spline in the hub.

One other thing, the rubber bushing at the top of the tube dosen't need any lub. Oil or grease will harden the rubber and cause it to squeek.

Ron
Is it the coupler that keeps the shaft centered at the bottom of the tube?

I like to run the Corvair column when I have one. The problem is when people harvest the steering boxes, they don't get the column too. If you can get the column, by all means use it. For most T's it's just a mater of shortening the shaft and the jacket. If you are looking for a column alone, try to get a '61 to '64. That's the one that comes with the coupler at the box.

With the plate at the bottom of the tube or jacket mounted to the floor, the coupler willkeep it centered. If you want you can install another rubber bushing at the bottom.

Ron

Excellent info once again Youngster..thanks. I now recall that in a previous thread you talked about utilizing a toeboard. Looks like routing the column thru the firewall at the top of toeboard gives a little more space for the feet.

Youngster that info has got me trying to plan out my column to save some bucks. Will the 3/4" shaft that Speedway sells, #91632201, come with splines and if not, how hard is it to put splines in it? Is there a tool I'd need or what?

the toeboard does give a little more room but most importantly it is a lot more comfortable. Auto makers have been using them since day 1.

Ron

Fred...can't find the shaft you're talking about in Bill's catalog. What do you have in place now?

It looks like there isn't any splines or threads on the end of that shaft. To have them done would be really spendy. A trip to the junk yard will get you a shaft for $5 to $10.

It would be a good idea to have the s-wheel adaptor before looking for the wheel center cone. When the column is assembled, you want the hub cover from the adaptor kit to be slightly larger than the wheel cone.

Any ideas on columns that would be available in a junk yard and might work? A '40s column would be hard. Do you know of a modern column that would have the shaft I need?

Sorry for so many questions so late. I may have to bring this up again tomorrow.

Your current set up is pretty ingenious, scarey as all get out, but ingenious!

Any Gm column from the early '60's that had a floor shift will work. Another one to look at is a late '60's or early '70's Ford pick-up with a floor shift.

Ron

Youngster said:
Your current set up is pretty ingenious, scarey as all get out, but ingenious!

It's secured a lot more than it sounds. :) It's basicly like the Speedway shaft, but the wall thickness is a little thinner.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back