Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Slooow Going

Sorry ,I didn't realize this was a 302 FORD we were talking about , heck , you can stick a broomstick in there and it'll run just as well as any Ford ... LOL !!

Did you say you have the cam already? If you don't, call a few cam co. and ask them what they recommend. If you do
have the cam, ask them anyways, drive your car with it and if you don't like, go from there.
I'm going to use my motor that I was going to use in my 3/4 ton 4x4 work truck. It has a comp cam hyd. roller, PN#12-409-8 with a RPM range of 1,000-5,000. I have it already, so I'll try it, if I don't like it, I know I can change it out in an afternoon.

no cam yet. to be honest while i can't help but to day dream about various components my priority is getting the basic bones of the car first. even if i had a shot at a good deal i'd want to get my ducks in a row first.

RV cam is just a name, just like 3/4 or full race cam, what the hell does that mean. There are probably as many opinions as stars in the sky.

exactly. and i think i more or less suggested as much. i take the 'rv' term as generally meaning a cam that favors low end to roughly, or up to, mid range.

i personally don't have anything specific in mind yet but the comp cams extreme high energy 256 or 262 stuck out initially. i'm thinking a stock converter and gears in the 3:00 to 3:55 range with tall-ish tires in keeping with the 60s look. stock heads and either a factory 4 bbl or performer. 600 cfm carb?

again, getting ahead of my self. :)

Why not give me some numbers to go by for a
Snicklefritz, don't let my enthusiasm get in the way, you may have made your decision. I have a love
of HP. But it's not my car or my money, just let me know or not.

Love your avatar, unfortunately I do remember the Munsters. So yes I might be older than dirt or
close anyway!

please don't curtail your enthusiasm on my account. if it doesn't help me it might help someone else.

i was born in '65 so when i was watching the munster it was re-runs in the early '70s. big influence as was the '60s car mags with ed roth adverts long before the 30 somethings (to their credit) rediscovered him and the retro thing became hip.

my forum handle is what my grandmother used to call me when i was a wee lad.

Sorry ,I didn't realize this was a 302 FORD we were talking about , heck , you can stick a broomstick in there and it'll run just as well as any Ford ... LOL !!
funny. as a guy who grew up on mopars but likes everything except gm guys' misplaced arrogance i have to give respect to ford absolutely dominating most every motorsport in the 60s and 70s. well, mopar did well in drag racing and in nascar while chebby mostly sat on the sidelines. those little fords did pretty well against all comers in international motorsport but to be fair gm made some good passenger cars. ;)

Born in 65 , , hell , you're just a kid ,I was off to college in 65.......

BTW , GM had such a huge following on the 60s they didn't have to advertise ( motorsports ) like Ford and Mopar , And most of us know about Ferrari snubbing Ford , hence the push to win internationally....

Last edited:
Born in 65 , , hell , you're just a kid ,I was off to college in 65.......

BTW , GM had such a huge following on the 60s they didn't have to advertise ( motorsports ) like Ford and Mopar , And most of us know about Ferrari snubbing Ford , hence the push to win internationally....
i may be just a whipper snapper but everyone knows gm officially got out of racing in the 60s and left it to privateers. gm did have a following i'll grant you. ford tow trucks. ;)

it's ok... i know you baby boomers suffer from crs. we gen x-ers are right behind you.

kinda like ford tow trucks.

back to our regular programming...

so i'm not sure yet whether i'll buy a frame and body separately from different or the same source, or score someone's unfinished project. to be determined by cash flow and opportunity i suppose. if i do the former is it better to get a frame first or does it matter? figured bodies aren't universal and it's better to modify a body rather than other way around.

i had a mind to run an rv cam as well. what brand do you have?
This is iajjpop I have a Speed-Pro sealed power CS-1014 R cam in my '''T'' It is a 305 gm motor, bored out 30, w 4 bbl., headers it is a good low end cam. Built by napa [they had a good motor builder at that time] built in 2002 ,set for 2 years before being used. I have put 12,000 +- miles on it, no problems. It has a good sound to it. You pull into A car show they can tell it has a cam in it.

This is iajjpop I have a Speed-Pro sealed power CS-1014 R cam in my '''T''

just checked out the specs on that and it's in the ballpark of cams suggested (given my goals) by the ford guys i've been talking to. thanks for the info and it sound like you have a pretty cool bucket.

funny thing you should mention the sound. my impression is a cam like this would sound little different than stock but i watched a video of a smc with a comp cams xe 262 (i think) and it sounded pretty darn good. it had flowmasters on it but it was the idle quality i noted.

at least i have confidence i'm on the right track. obviously i'll be talking to cam people and engine builders when the time comes. btw if anyone has some sage advice regarding my question earlier about frame and body i'm of course open to thoughts. in the mean time... this steering wheel was for my ill fated '60 dart project and had no plans to use it for the t as i wasn't sure it would be the right look. but now i'm more open minded and a bit sentimental. these are details i know and trust me i am thinking of the big stuff too.

Attachments

• MOONEYES STEERING WHEEL.jpg
    MOONEYES STEERING WHEEL.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 15
so i'm not sure yet whether i'll buy a frame and body separately from different or the same source, or score someone's unfinished project. to be determined by cash flow and opportunity i suppose. if i do the former is it better to get a frame first or does it matter? figured bodies aren't universal and it's better to modify a body rather than other way around.

It depends on you, can you weld or know someone who does? Look at plenty of pics, note what you like or don't like. Note also who built it. It's nice to do "one stop shopping" and get everything from one manufacturer to be sure everything fits (usually) or you can pick and choose but remember how everything comes together or that it doesn't interfere with the different components.

It depends on you, can you weld or know someone who does? Look at plenty of pics, note what you like or don't like. Note also who built it. It's nice to do "one stop shopping" and get everything from one manufacturer to be sure everything fits (usually) or you can pick and choose but remember how everything comes together or that it doesn't interfere with the different components.

i guess much of this will depend on whether i buy new or not. if i buy new i may buy both frame and body from one source but if i buy used i'm at the mercy of what i find. my thought was if i buy used from different manufacturers it's easier to modify a 'glass body to fit the frame than the other way 'round.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back