Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Slooow Going

I guess it really don't matter, but why isn't this thread in the Projects topics?
if you read from the start it wasn't intended to be a discussion but it's turned into a bit of that and as you can see there's no project being built. didn't seem to reach the threshold of a project given it will be some time before a wrench is turned; when i do start the project it won't be covered here. i'm actually surprised there's been any input at all. i expected a few views at the most.

although the intent of this thread is to form a photo repository of the parts i'll be acquiring for my project i thought it couldn't hurt to post the occasional photo of cars i'm drawing inspiration from. mostly for me but if anyone benefits from it i'm all for that. choppedtop posed a question about whether this thread belongs here or not so by all means if the powers that be agree i'm happy to move it elsewhere. in the mean time i'm not going to go crazy with the inspiration photos and from this point on i'll hopefully only be checking in to upload another acquisition.

Attachments

• t-bucket brad mort.jpg
    t-bucket brad mort.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 100
  • primered t with smc.jpg
    primered t with smc.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 100
  • blue 60s type of bucket.jpg
    blue 60s type of bucket.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 101
Being faithful to the thread title it has been a while since I posted. Again, this is just a photo collection of parts I'm assembling- not the build. In keeping with my goals for the engine, power range, etc, I determined that a factory cast intake, while heavier than aluminum, will suit my needs well. This is off a 289 but I had hoped for the less common 302 cast intake. They are identical but for the numbers.
Anyway, I've also got a GM 8.75 10 bolt out of a Nova but it's under snow right now so no pix. Hoping to get started on the frame in the Spring.

Attachments

• 67 289 intake.jpg
    67 289 intake.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 67
Hey Snicklefritz, don't you have it backwards. Most guys put Ford rears behind Chevy engines, not Chevy rears behind Ford rears. But I suppose it's a case of run whatyou brung, or something...

Hey Snicklefritz, don't you have it backwards. Most guys put Ford rears behind Chevy engines, not Chevy rears behind Ford rears. But I suppose it's a case of run whatyou brung, or something...

i'm building the car around the engine and i'm going for a mid-60s theme. i had a shot at this rear and grabbed it even though it's not exactly period correct. it's a darn good axle (needing a rebuild) but if i can get an 8", dana 44, or tri-5 rear i might get that.

Hey Snicklefritz, don't you have it backwards. Most guys put Ford rears behind Chevy engines, not Chevy rears behind Fords. But I suppose it's a case of run whatyou brung, or something...

Mismatched drivetrains are a long tradition with hot rodders. Ivo's T had a Buick nailhead engine and a '41 Ford rear end.

Ivos T.jpg

I love it. I have done many swaps over the years, was one of the things I was known for, making stuff work that didn’t belong, perse’... whatever works or whatever you prefer!

Hey, Flier: I see from your profile post that you're using a 302 for your engine. Did this come out of the rollover you were parting out? o_O

well i've been away for a while! i have managed to collect some more parts but still too early for even the mocking up. the 302 i started out with is looking like will be replaced by another, slightley newer one mainly because it was taken out of a running car. i wasn't actually in the market but the guy i bought a transmission from had it and i grabbed the pair.302 b.jpg c4 a.jpg

he also had a reportedly good radiator (see above transmission photo) from a '66 mustang i think i can use. he generously tossed it in for free. also, i picked up a reversed corvair box from (i think; memory is failing me) fb marketplace. but then it could have been from a member here. jeez, it seems like i should recall... yes, i scored the pink one!
corvair boxes.jpg

lastly, and i'm super excited about this, i finally got the frame thanks to ron pope. he set it up for a leaf spring rear and shortened the frame roughly to what i am looking for. when done i'd like to have about a 100" wheelbase.
frame 1.jpg
the frame measures roughly 94" from front to rear center of spring perch with the rails being i think 82 1/2 inches.

thanks island girl. slow but steady is the plan but i look forward to actually bolting stuff together. probably will be collecting suspension stuff next.

probably will be collecting suspension stuff next.

Nice work, SF. With that short wheelbase you may want to steer toward a more compliant suspension setup to avoid a too-choppy ride. I'd recommend coil-overs in the rear, and maybe a monoleaf spring for the front. A friend of mine here in St Louis had good luck with a monoleaf on his bucket.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back