Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Starting on the rebuild.

My mechanic friend wants to build one now. After yesurdays "test runs", he's hooked even more than before.:lol:[/quote]

COOL FRED! Now you can mentor somebody and form another buckethead!
You have built TWO cars now!

Layed off.

Well, I got layed off last Monday and when I got home, my computer bombed out. Finally got it back yesturday. It kinda tossed me a little. I've done a little work on my car and she's doing well. Heck, I took her for a run again and the new shock set up is still a whole new world. The old radiator is still in, so I only go a couple miles or so. I don't have the new radiator in yet, but it's a perfect fit. I started on a mounting bracket and I got an electric cooling fan that should do the job, so it won't be long before she's a full time runner.

It was just a matter of time before my boss had to let me go. He finally got tired of paying me to sweep the floor and smoke cigarettes. I kinda liked getting up later than usual, but I miss work. It just feels good to be doing something. I'm confident I'll get a new job, but I also know it's gonna be a struggle. No tears and my chin is up. Man, it's embarassing filing for unemployment, but I have bills that can't be ignored. I have a little money in savings and that will last untl the unemployment starts coming or I get a new job. I've been spending a lot of time on Monster.com redoing my resume and job search. This is just a minor bump in my road of lifeand I'll get through it fine.

Now, back to hot rodding.:) I swappd out all the bolts in the front end and I'm reusing my old carpet for now. I have not installed the front turn signals yet, but that's because I'm waiting to fit the grille to the Mustang radiator. I also am moving her home. My mechaic buddy needs the room and it's all good. Besides it will be cool having her close when I get an idea or want to escape life for a while.:D

Re: Layed off.

tfeverfred said:
Well, I got layed off last Monday and when I got home, my computer bombed out. Finally got it back yesturday. It kinda tossed me a little. I've done a little work on my car and she's doing well. Heck, I took her for a run again and the new shock set up is still a whole new world. The old radiator is still in, so I only go a couple miles or so. I don't have the new radiator in yet, but it's a perfect fit. I started on a mounting bracket and I got an electric cooling fan that should do the job, so it won't be long before she's a full time runner.

It was just a matter of time before my boss had to let me go. He finally got tired of paying me to sweep the floor and smoke cigarettes. I kinda liked getting up later than usual, but I miss work. It just feels good to be doing something. I'm confident I'll get a new job, but I also know it's gonna be a struggle. No tears and my chin is up. Man, it's embarassing filing for unemployment, but I have bills that can't be ignored. I have a little money in savings and that will last untl the unemployment starts coming or I get a new job. I've been spending a lot of time on Monster.com redoing my resume and job search. This is just a minor bump in my road of lifeand I'll get through it fine.

Now, back to hot rodding.:) I swappd out all the bolts in the front end and I'm reusing my old carpet for now. I have not installed the front turn signals yet, but that's because I'm waiting to fit the grille to the Mustang radiator. I also am moving her home. My mechaic buddy needs the room and it's all good. Besides it will be cool having her close when I get an idea or want to escape life for a while.:D
Sorry to hear that Fred but welcome to the ever growing club.What do you get for unenjoyment?I get $774.00 every two weeks.Not much but it has kept me slightly above water.One good thing is if your bills get paid and you have ten bucks left over you can cruise every day.

Re: Layed off.

Rick said:
Sorry to hear that Fred but welcome to the ever growing club.What do you get for unenjoyment?I get $774.00 every two weeks.Not much but it has kept me slightly above water.One good thing is if your bills get paid and you have ten bucks left over you can cruise every day.

Yup, that's very close to what mine will be. Times are tough, but I'll just get tougher.:)

Sometimes things like this is a blessing in Disguise, I got laid off and found my current job that I have been at for 20 years now .. Worked out for the best.

RocknT said:
Sometimes things like this is a blessing in Disguise, I got laid off and found my current job that I have been at for 20 years now .. Worked out for the best.

In my life, that has been true way more often than not... I just had to keep the faith till it became clear...

That sucks, Fred. I'm sorry to hear this. Looks like you have a good attitude. I don't know if I would.

At least your T is rolling.

Mike

Fred, I'm sorry to hear that you were laid off (I can remember when "laid off" meant that there was a chance that you would be rehired at a later time, not now). My job as an "on site manager" for three office buildings was "out sourced" (contractor that worked for the realty co. got me eased out and put his son in [the son' last job was a barrista at Starbucks and is half my age, don't get me started]). What , manage those buildings from India?
Anyway, I have some money saved up and I am going down to Chino here in Cali and see what CCR has to offer as far as bodies and kits.
To quote a deck lid, "If not now, when?"
Things will work out, John

Keep yer chin up Bro I know it doesnt seem like it now, But good things happen to good people and brother you are good people.

It's a good thing you don't live in MS you can only draw $230 a week max, I know been wiyh the same company (cabinet shop) for 20 years and they closed the door in Dec 08, and still no work around here

Fred,

Sorry to hear you got laid off, keep the faith, like they say all things happen for a reason. What mustang radiator did you use and where did you order it from. I'm going to go that same route.

Thanks,
PaulR

PaulR said:
Fred,

Sorry to hear you got laid off, keep the faith, like they say all things happen for a reason. What mustang radiator did you use and where did you order it from. I'm going to go that same route.

Thanks,
PaulR

I got it from Auto Zonne. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ONE FOR A 289 WITH THE 4bbl. It took 3 days for it to arrive from the warehouse and it was $140 plus Uncle Sams cut.

She's HOME!

So it took a few hours for a buddie who drives a flatbed wrecker to get to me, but he did the tow on a "pay me later" thing, so I didn't mind. I had a HUGE grin, because even on a tow truck, folks still smiled and waved.:lol: DANG, I love these cars!

But the cool part was when he dropped her off and I drove her into my drive way. I get to work on her when I get in the mood, but I also get to look at her whenever I want and crank her over for grins when life gets sad and that is bonus points. Kid next door came out when I goosed her and said, "WOW! There's a hot rod on our street!". I puffed out my chest and said, "Son, she's the only one within 5 miles."

So, my schedule will be use the internet for job searches at night, try and make some interviews the next morning and play with my car in the evening. I can live with that.... for a while.

Stop Leak

I did some tweaking and kinda played around with the carb on Miss Fortune. Nothing special. Just a hot rodder with a lot of time on his hands. So, after all that you just KNOW you have to take a test drive. I hopped in, cranked her up, let her sit for a while and eased down my street. The city is doing work on my street and it's narrowed to one lane going one way. That's why I was taking it easy.

Well, I get to the intersection and make a left and all hell broke loose! Stomped on that dang peddle and let her go for a few blocks. Construction guys were giving me the right of way, my hat almost came off and Miss Fortune was humming her song. I cruised up to the auto parts store just outside my neighborhood. Shut her down and smiled at the "ricers" who were coming out with some stuff to bolt to their car.

I walked up the older guy in there (he uses "the book") and told him, "When you get a chance, come on out. She's back." The smile on his face was priceless. I told him I had a small leak in the radiator and was going to be swapping it out soon. He asked me where it was leaking from and when I went to show him, it wasn't leaking. Now, that little drive up to the store, plus me letting her idle in the drive way, got the temp up to 180. No leaking. Not a drop.:confused:

I left there and headed home. Keeping an eye on the place where it should have leaked and my temp gauge. No leaking and temp at 160. Sure the temp was low because I was moving, but when I got home, I let her just sit and run some more. Still no leak. when I ran her at my buddies shop, she'd leak after just a few minutes.:confused:

Could it be that the leak is so small that maybe some of that Stop Leak will work? Has anyone used it with success?

Also, I don't have a fan hooked up yet and she never got over 180. I wouldn't want to try stop and go traffic, but maybe this 4 core radiator is better than I thought.

Opinions are welcomed and thanks for letting me tell my tale.

I have used stop leak many times "on OLD" vehicles and has always worked with no problems or pit falls as long as the hole isnt massive. Rooster posted a company that sold some aluminum welding stuff that should work without having to use stop leak. I have the website at home in my favorites just not here at work.

Fred, No No No No Stop LeaK! Pressure test the radiator. I forget (see CRS AND SPELL CHECK) if your radiator is aluminun. Have a competent radiator shop repair it properly and run distilled water and antifreeze. Stop leak congregates at the bottom of the radiator and can clog the bottom tank. Summer is coming - do it once and rest easy.

John

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back