Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

steering problem

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Got my steering wheel installed now.
I guess I jinxed my self saying I was done. :(

When I turn the wheel left or right the column kinda hops/moves left or right.
It cracked my firewall where the column comes out. Its on the other side of the shaft, So for now I'll live with it.

Sounds like you might need to add a column drop connecting it to the dash.This is what I did I attached a support to the support for my dash and it is rock solid.

I put in an angle iron across the underside of the dash. Then I used a clamp around the column, and bolted it to the angle iron. I think the angle iron is flexing. Not sure how to make it solid.

[quote name='oino'
When I turn the wheel left or right the column kinda hops/moves left or right.
It cracked my firewall where the column comes out. Its on the other side of the shaft, So for now I'll live with it.
[/quote]

No, dont live with it. Steering issues are one of those things that you should never just "live with".

Get it fixed and then go out driving again. Or to quote Ted "drive safe"

:) I know I'm going to fix the moving problem. Can't drive it like that. I meant the crack. I can live with that. I'll fix that next winter.

:) I know I'm going to fix the moving problem. Can't drive it like that. I meant the crack. I can live with that. I'll fix that next winter.
Was this w/the front wheels on the ground, loading the suspension? With the front wheels off the ground and the steering arm off at the spindel, can the wheels travel thru their steering arc? Does it move when YOU tug on it or does it move or judder when the wheels are moved thru the steering arc. What I am trying to establish is wether the column movement is from the column not being secure or if there is a problem in the steering system. Also remember that with BOTH of us standing on the front crossmember we could not get the front spring to move. That was at least 425 lbs. bouncing on that crossmember and the ONLY suspension movement was from the tires. Also make sure the steering box is mounted solidly and not moving around.

John

Was this w/the front wheels on the ground, loading the suspension? With the front wheels off the ground and the steering arm off at the spindel, can the wheels travel thru their steering arc? Does it move when YOU tug on it or does it move or judder when the wheels are moved thru the steering arc. What I am trying to establish is wether the column movement is from the column not being secure or if there is a problem in the steering system. Also remember that with BOTH of us standing on the front crossmember we could not get the front spring to move. That was at least 425 lbs. bouncing on that crossmember and the ONLY suspension movement was from the tires. Also make sure the steering box is mounted solidly and not moving around.

John

I turned the wheel with the front wheels off and on the ground. Still moves. I can't move it by hand. Just when I turn the wheel. I don't think it has anything to do with then front spring.
I can see the angle iron I put in there flexing. Whats wierd is it only flexs at certain points as I turn the wheel. Like there is a high side and a low side.

I don't know. :(
I'm going to go to the hardware and the autoparts stores tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

If Spirit supplied the steering box, contact them and see what they have to day. Also box may be worn unevenly internally and indeed have high and low spots in the gear. Have you adjusted the box yourself? Was the box rebuilt? If so, by who? Might need bearings.

If Spirit supplied the steering box, contact them and see what they have to day. Also box may be worn unevenly internally and indeed have high and low spots in the gear. Have you adjusted the box yourself? Was the box rebuilt? If so, by who? Might need bearings.

As paul harvey says this I think is the rest of the story. The box may be over tightened causing it to bind at the straight ahead position.Count the turns on the steering and see in the straight ahead if that is where it is tight box has been overtightened.

Like what was said earlier, jack up the front, disconnect the drag link, turn one wheel which will turn both wheels, they must turn back and forth with ease, no binding at all... Now pull the drag link out towards you slowly, this should turn your steering wheel, now push the drag like back towards the fire wall, the steering wheel should move in the other direction without binding anywhere along the way, if it binds, the steering box is to blame, UNLESS it is a U-JOINT in your steering shaft somewhere?? By disconnecting things one at a time and moving through the full steering pattern, you will find the problem... one word of caution; I try to NEVER turn my steering wheel till the car is rolling, even slowly, because this is a very, very, big strain on the mount, steering box, shaft and U-joints, every single part of the steering is stressed to the max, trying to turn a none rolling wheel with weight on it... I have had to repair even late model cars and SUVs that tore out the steering box mounts from the frame, all because people use the power steering to turn the wheels while sitting still, not a good move... Steering and brakes (and gas linkage)are way too important to have not working perfectly... :)

The box may be over tightened causing it to bind at the straight ahead position.Count the turns on the steering and see in the straight ahead if that is where it is tight box has been overtightened.

Most steering boxes are designed to have a tight spot in the middle. This keeps the car from wondering.

So when you see that ad on Ebay and it says it turns nice and smooth no tight spots, that means worn out! Or the guy is selling a rebuilt box and says you have to adjust it on the car, that means he does not know how to adjust it properly and it just as worn out.

I'll check the steering box. I know when I installed it. It has a tight spot in the middle.

I raised the front end.
Turn the steering left and right and it hups.
I watched it close and It look like the box was doing it. So I removed the column and joint. Move the wheels left and right.
Can't see any hop.
I did notice one thing. On the joint it moves back and forth where the arrows are in the pic I posted. Other side of the joint is fine. Nice and solid.

[attachment=4199:May18_0002.jpg]

Can you post a pic of this installed so we can see exactly what we are looking at and the angle of the joint? Pics always help.

lol, That would have been a pic to post before pulling it all apart. :)

I'll do after I get off work today.

lol, That would have been a pic to post before pulling it all apart. :)

I'll do after I get off work today.

The reason I say this it might be to steep an angle going into the box might have to put in a double joint.

The reason I say this it might be to steep an angle going into the box might have to put in a double joint.

I thought of that. humm. The angle to me looked to be only 10 to 15 degrees. or less
I'll put it back togother when I get home and take a pic of it.
:)

I thought of that. humm. The angle to me looked to be only 10 to 15 degrees. or less
I'll put it back togother when I get home and take a pic of it.
:)
Are the nuts that lock the allen screws hitting the opposing jointparts. Hope I am clear.

P.S. A picture of the steering box and joint in place would be nice.

Hope this helps.
[attachment=4200:May18_0001.jpg]

[attachment=4201:May18_0003.jpg]

[attachment=4202:May18_0005.jpg]

I would take the joint apart and see if one of the roller is screwed up and try a new joint. When apart does it seem to swivel fine?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back