Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

steering problem

ya it swivels fine.
Just it moves back and forth on the one side about an 1/8 inch. I think that could be the hop.

I hope it is joint. Easy fix. But not easy to get here in Cali. just to try another one. Hate to waste the money to find out its something else.

Not like I have one lying around. an extra in the bottom of the tool box. :) lol. j/k

I think I'm going to have to wait tell Monday and take it to a speedshop and ask.

ya it swivels fine.
Just it moves back and forth on the one side about an 1/8 inch. I think that could be the hop.

I hope it is joint. Easy fix. But not easy to get here in Cali. just to try another one. Hate to waste the money to find out its something else.

Not like I have one lying around. an extra in the bottom of the tool box. :) lol. j/k

I think I'm going to have to wait tell Monday and take it to a speedshop and ask.
Isn't there a speed shop fairly close to ya. Within a coupla miles?

I raised the front end.
Turn the steering left and right and it hups.
I watched it close and It look like the box was doing it. So I removed the column and joint. Move the wheels left and right.
Can't see any hop.
I did notice one thing. On the joint it moves back and forth where the arrows are in the pic I posted. Other side of the joint is fine. Nice and solid.

[attachment=4199:May18_0002.jpg]

Check and make sure the steering column shaft is not into the universal joint to far, if it is it will hit the cross and bind each time it comes around.

Ok, Looks like it was the joint. I used a c-clamp and tightend down the caps on the joint as much as I could. The hop is mostly gone. Barely noticeable now.
I'll go get a new joint on monday.

Got the new joint yesturday. Put it in a few min. ago. Still the column is hopping. Its a small hop.
I can't tell if its the box or not. It don't look like it. If I remove the column and turn the box. I don't see the hop.
I don't see how, but could it be the column its self.

Dose the 'hop' happen as the wheels are straight ahead? How is your column sercuredto the firewall or floor?

Ron

I have the column going though a piece of PVC. Like spirit uses. I don't have the column connected to a column drop yet. Wanted to make sure it was smooth before I put it back into the drop.
The steering arm is disconnected. No wheels turning.
This would be easy if someone whos done this could see it. I'm lost.
I guess when I get home I'll be it back in the drop.

Sad, The only 2 things I expected to have problems was Brakes and Electrical and there working perfectly.

OK, here I am, I've read everything, you've got a little hop or a bump in the steering. Front spindles turn fine, taking your rod loose from the steering box, you should be able to make the wheels move side-to-side freely.

Next thing, is there a bolt or a setscrew fastening down on the shaft? If so, make sure those are not hitting anything. You said you had the ujoint off, Correct? If so, other than the box being tight in the straight ahead position, do you feel any roughness or a metallic bump in the steering bax as you turn it from left to right? If you do, back off on the adjuster on the box slightly. Also, grab the input shaft and shake it. Any slack? Do the same where the steering arm connects. Any slack there?

If there wasn't anything in the box, its gotta be between the bob and the steering wheel. I read where you had some side-to-side play in the joint. Thats a no-no. Should have O slack, front,back,side-toside or anywhere else for that matter. Take the thing apart and carefully look at the cross and into the caps. Does it have any grease in it? Should have a little.

Grab a couple of rags, find a clean spot, lay those rags out. Get yourself something like a short glass jar full of solvent, plop those caps in there. Cleam all the grease out, wash the bearings and the cross.

Next, get a little wheel bearing grease on your finger, stick just a little into the caps, and put the bearings back in. Now, after all the bearings are in, get your ujoint tool or a vise, and squeeze the caps or slide the caps into the yokes and fasten them in with either the snaprings or the screws....depending on which kind you have. Usually its a press fit but I have seen the other kind too.

After your ujoint os back together, its tight and working smoothly....look at your steering shaft itself. On countless times I've seen folks rebuilding stuff because a steering shaft is bent and binding other component. If the steering shaft looks straight, connect up your redone steering joint, slide it onto the shaft and fasten it down. Has it got a thru bolt? A keyway, key and setscrew? Make sure these things are tight, and put a drop of loctite on the bolt or setscrew.

The steering shaft should slide right into the top of the yoke. Of it doesn't make it so that it can. LOCK IT DOWN! Now, if your piece of PVC that slide over the steeing shaft don't have alot of play in it, get a ubolt of appropiate side, clamp the piece of pvc to something. You want to hold that piece still while we perform a test.

With the wheel anchored at the top, thru a piece of PVC clamped to something anchored, turn the steering wheel, it should move smoothly, turning freely. Now, it its bumping in the same place repeatedly when you turn the wheel, in the same spot, like, evey 180 degrees apart, the ujoiny in 'camming'. That means you've reached the limit of angle that that ujoint can operate in and your gonna have to install another one, probably 6 or 8 inches above the last one by your steering box. (I had to do this on mine.)

Your steering shaft up at the top should have some sort of support or bearing. Usually what I do on the altereds is have a 2" piece of flatbar alum. bolted to the firewall, with 2 pieces if structural tubing (small, of course) or chrome moly, notched,bent and welded at the correct angle with bolt holes drilled in them. The alum acts as a stiffener in the fiberglass, the alum. in both inside and outside, sandwiching the fiberglass. Bolthoes going thru these, thru the tubing brackets. Across these brackets are a pillarblock bearing that holds the steering shaft firmly, precisely, in position.

OK, here I am, I've read everything, you've got a little hop or a bump in the steering. Front spindles turn fine, taking your rod loose from the steering box, you should be able to make the wheels move side-to-side freely.

Next thing, is there a bolt or a setscrew fastening down on the shaft? If so, make sure those are not hitting anything. You said you had the ujoint off, Correct? If so, other than the box being tight in the straight ahead position, do you feel any roughness or a metallic bump in the steering bax as you turn it from left to right? If you do, back off on the adjuster on the box slightly. Also, grab the input shaft and shake it. Any slack? Do the same where the steering arm connects. Any slack there?

If there wasn't anything in the box, its gotta be between the bob and the steering wheel. I read where you had some side-to-side play in the joint. Thats a no-no. Should have O slack, front,back,side-toside or anywhere else for that matter. Take the thing apart and carefully look at the cross and into the caps. Does it have any grease in it? Should have a little.

Grab a couple of rags, find a clean spot, lay those rags out. Get yourself something like a short glass jar full of solvent, plop those caps in there. Cleam all the grease out, wash the bearings and the cross.

Next, get a little wheel bearing grease on your finger, stick just a little into the caps, and put the bearings back in. Now, after all the bearings are in, get your ujoint tool or a vise, and squeeze the caps or slide the caps into the yokes and fasten them in with either the snaprings or the screws....depending on which kind you have. Usually its a press fit but I have seen the other kind too.

After your ujoint os back together, its tight and working smoothly....look at your steering shaft itself. On countless times I've seen folks rebuilding stuff because a steering shaft is bent and binding other component. If the steering shaft looks straight, connect up your redone steering joint, slide it onto the shaft and fasten it down. Has it got a thru bolt? A keyway, key and setscrew? Make sure these things are tight, and put a drop of loctite on the bolt or setscrew.

The steering shaft should slide right into the top of the yoke. Of it doesn't make it so that it can. LOCK IT DOWN! Now, if your piece of PVC that slide over the steeing shaft don't have alot of play in it, get a ubolt of appropiate side, clamp the piece of pvc to something. You want to hold that piece still while we perform a test.

With the wheel anchored at the top, thru a piece of PVC clamped to something anchored, turn the steering wheel, it should move smoothly, turning freely. Now, it its bumping in the same place repeatedly when you turn the wheel, in the same spot, like, evey 180 degrees apart, the ujoiny in 'camming'. That means you've reached the limit of angle that that ujoint can operate in and your gonna have to install another one, probably 6 or 8 inches above the last one by your steering box. (I had to do this on mine.)

Your steering shaft up at the top should have some sort of support or bearing. Usually what I do on the altereds is have a 2" piece of flatbar alum. bolted to the firewall, with 2 pieces if structural tubing (small, of course) or chrome moly, notched,bent and welded at the correct angle with bolt holes drilled in them. The alum acts as a stiffener in the fiberglass, the alum. in both inside and outside, sandwiching the fiberglass. Bolthoes going thru these, thru the tubing brackets. Across these brackets are a pillarblock bearing that holds the steering shaft firmly, precisely, in position.

I think you missed where I said I got a new joint. I got a borgeson joint on there now. The joint is only at about 10-15 degrees.
The box feels fine. If I move the pitmin left or right its smooth. Just gets tight at the Center. Dosen't seem to be binding or anything.
I'll look really closely at the shaft tomorrow. Oh and I was thinking Friday I'll take the box to a speed shop. Maybe they can tell me if its good or bad. This is my first one. I might be wrong about it.

Thank you.

Oh, OK, I misunderstood....I'm a little tired on the road and all. i'll be back at the shop tomorrow so I'll look over everything agian. Now Listen, since your moving and all and are on limited funds and all, don't spend no more on it than you absolutely have to.

In straight ahead position, it should have a little tightness to it, not much. But, you have to have the steering column supported at the top to diagnose this kind of problem. Is there any way you can clamp it down? The combo of it being loose at the top and that joint, might make it seem worse than it really is.

But I will say this, if a metal bracket is flexing when your turning the steering wheel with the tires off the ground, something is wrong. With the tires on the ground, and your having firewall flex, something definitely isn't right.

I'll check back with you tomorrow....like I said, I'll be at the shop and I'll have some sleep by then........

I haven't reclamped it sence I got the new joint. I'll try to come home for lunch tomorrow and do that.

Yes, that would be the best thing to do. When your troubleshooting something like this....you have to retie everything back together to make sure your diagnosis is coming along as it should.

If it still is doing it, very lightly, try readjusting your column a little more vert., don't have to be much, just a degree or two, then snug her down and give it a try. Then let us know how it is...

I got the shaft mounted down now. It still hops up and down. I'm glad its just the metal flexing with it hops.
If it was mount to metal directly to the glass on the dash it would have cracked it.

Leave your steering wheel anchored up top, take your joint loose of the shaft coming out of the top of steering box. Take joint off of steering shaft, all you have is a shaft with a steering wheel attached, coming thru your firewall, and a small gap between the end of the shaft and the steering box, Correct?

OK< now the steering box IS bolted to the frame, right? Make sure its tight. If its welded plate is welded to the frame and then the box bolts to it, make sure that the welds haven't cracked. Now, proceed to turn the shaft on top of the steering box,while the front wheels are on the ground. Does the shaft move up and down? Does the box move up or down? If it doesn't, its from the joint on up....somewhere in that area is the problem.

Now, hool the bottom of the joint to the steering box. Measure about 3/4 to 1" into your steering shaft. This should be the depth of the top hole in the joint.....DO NOT GO ANY DEEPER.... if you do, the steering shaft will jump up cause its hitting on the inside edges of the joint. Tighten the joint up. Sit on a 5 gallon bucket and look directly at the steering box! Reach up and turn the wheel. IS THE BOX GOING UP AND DOWN OR IS IT JUST THE JOINT? If my suspecsion is correct....only the top part of the joint is going up and down....like Ma/Pa T said.

Now, if the joint is jumping abck and forth across the x in a single plane....your leaving a shim out of the cross or the caps are not fully seated. If its the up and down thing at the joint, the shaft is protruding too far into the joint, UNLESS its the whole box, which we might ought to call a Exorcist, and get some Holy Water and douse that demon!

But, if you sit on that bucket, you looking right at that box and the joint, you should see whats happening there. On mine, I have a 392 Hemi, and I'm almost hitting the back of the head with my shafts.

Now, go sit there and turn that wheel while looking and tell me what you see...I'll check back later if your not on the boards right now.....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back