Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The phone call finally came

I have some good news to share with everyone!

I started working in a general parts house back in July 1973 and I've been doing it ever since. I've managed an NAPA store and have worked in a couple of speed shops over the last 37 years. I've met a lot of good friends and learned more than I thought this head could ever hold. In early 1981, I bought my first home computer and started trying to learn what made it tick. In the last 29 years, I've owned a lot of computers and take a lot of static about the four systems I currently have running here today. I've built static Web sites, blogs and forums. I'm just a curious person that has a need to know and understand how things work.

About a month ago, a fellow I follow on Twitter posted a tweet mentioning a job opportunity working for one of the top 4 ranked SEO (Search Engine Optimization) companies in the country. Thinking it had to be the long shot of the century, I tossed my name in the hat. And I keep thinking someone must have made a mistake, because I received an invitation to work on their team. :good:

My pay is performance-based and at worst I can make 1/2 again as much money as I do now, with an opportunity to easily double my current wage. Dead-easy. And the best part of it all? I will be able to work from right here in my home office. No more getting up, getting dressed and driving to work. :yay: If I want to work from 10:00 AM to noon and take the rest of the day off, I can. If I want to work 1:00 AM to 9:00 AM, I can. Frankly, the opportunity to earn is right there and so simple, I'm trying to figure out how I can work 24 hours a day. No more phones to answer, no more orders to ship and no more helping retail customers, I am finally able to set all that aside and earn some serious money doing what I want to do. Working with computers and the InterWebz.

I really wish something like this had come along about 30 years ago, but I am not going to let that stop me from making hay whilst the sun is still shining. It's like the door to solitary confinement has just been opened and the sunlight is pouring into my life. :tan: Thanks and praise be to God!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I start a new job in week that I also thought was a long shot. Glad to hear the great news.

PaulR

Old habits die hard. Whilst at the grocery this morning, I'm running things through my mind and trying to remember everything I needed to get. As I'm walking along, I'm trying to decide what to buy to take for lunches throughout the week.

Oh. Yeah. I don't have to worry about packing lunches any more, do I?

After getting up and going off to work for so many years, I have a lot of old habits to break. I sure won't miss the nights of having to go out at dusk to scrape ice and snow off the truck windows for the drive home!

Big changes for sure.
As long as you have an office or office area at home where you are "at work" and off limits it's cool.

Now you can watch all the soap-operas all day! ;) KIDDING!

Actually, I consider myself pretty fortunate. I've a three-bedroom condo all to myself.

Ooops, let me restate that. A certain uppity Persian cat lowers herself to sharing her empire with me. :shrug:

angel12020703.jpg

She had just been shaved that day and was still a bit out of sorts with me, errr, excuse me, with her butler. Shhhh, don't mention the picture, I don't want her to know I really do like having her around.

The room I use for my office is just me, a desk, bookshelves, three computers and a printer. Oh, don't let me forget the cat hair. :) I've actually been trying to do some better 'zoning' with air conditioning ducts, as it's always 6° - 8° warmer in here than in the rest of the house. The computers come here when they're new, they get set up and turned on and they stay that way until they are old enough to be depreciated to nothing or they die. So they do give off a lot of heat. But it is nice to be able to shut the lights off and walk out of here every now and again. And there's always the iMac out in the great room, if I need to use it. To this point anyway, there are no computers in the bedrooms, bathrooms or garage. That is always subject to change, should I carry my notebook into one of those areas. :winkn:

That's quite the pose!
Butler... that is a great way to describe humans for cats.
Does yours have the "oh, a door.. I wonder what's on the other side" mentality? In and out...

Sounds like you have a decent setup, for sure.
Hmm computer in the bathroom.... That's what laptops ARE for... right? :)
Ever watch "Home Improvement"? The man's bathroom is my goal.
I don't want to count all the systems in my house.

The only closed doors she gripes about are closet doors. She sits in front of them an carries on like someone is beating her.

She is an indoor kitty. Her first owners (who dumped her at a pound) had her declawed at all four corners. So she stays inside. She was about 10 months old when I got her from a rescue up in Milwaukee. :blush: Yeah, a 4-hour drive up and a 4-hour drive back. She's a full-bred silver Persian and had been neutered and declawed, so someone spent a LOT of money. But she's the original fraidy-cat and they didn't like that, so they dumped her. The rescue snatched her the day she was to be put down and I snatched her up about 2 weeks after that. She follows me around like a puppy, but pretty much everything is on her terms. If she wants attention, she lets me know and stays at arm's length when she wants to be left alone. When my granddaughter comes over, Angel heads for the hills. She is curious about Lauren, but she apparently thinks Lauren makes too much noise.

Oh, excuse me. I made it sound like I adopted her and she is reminding me it was the other way around. She adopted me. :rolleyes:

Wow.. animals sure can have it tough with some people....
4 hours to go get a pet you never saw before. Wow.

I've had many critters (grew up on a small farm). In my adult life I had a cat for 21 years. She was a great companion. Provided much entertainment.

But it is best that you straightened things out and stated properly that YOU were adopted by HER.

Oh.. now here's a question that's sort of a bit more on topic with the thread:
How is SHE going to cope with you there all day?

Cats give a lot of enjoyment, my kitty died two years ago and I still miss her.My son brought her home when she was a kitten, but she was my kitty always an indoor cat, she went outside once and it scared her silly. She lived twenty years.

Hi Al, it's really good to see you again. I just noticed in another topic that Fred is back, too. It's good to see the old, familiar names popping up every now and again.

As for the cat, she is just like my granddaughter. Everyone thinks they own me, but I'm here to say I have both of them right where they want me!

Today was my first full day at the new "job". I had a very laid-back day (if you can call 5 hours a day) and still managed to earn 1/2 what the old job would have paid in an entire week. My new work uniform is a pair of running shorts and a t-shirt. I was thinking about having Casual Friday, but then it occurred to me that the only days that are not casual are the ones that do not end in 'y'. :)

I am living, breathing proof of the need to hold onto your dreams. This is a position I dreamed about for years and the dream finally came true.

A month ago, I was resigning myself to the very real possibility of having to sell my T project and very likely losing my home as well. Today, I've been wondering how long it will take to get the garage back in shape, so I start working on the T again. So never give up on your dreams.

Congrats of your first day and the success of it!

It would be great if you could get back at your T. Thankfully you didn't sell it.

I actually got to do something on the body of my T today! :) Felt good.

The best pets are always the ones that adopt you. Our (white long hair) cat wandered in one day and anounced "I like it here, feed me tuna". it's been five years and she hasn't left yet, so I guess we're doin' ok.

waiting for my ship to come in,
Russ

Attachments

• 00005362.gif
    00005362.gif
    31.3 KB · Views: 9
this is the definition of "sad":

Attachments

• sad.jpg
    sad.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 13

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back