Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The question on everyone's mind

Telman2

With Mikes passing I imagine that most of us are wondering what's going to become of the forum. I don't know how these things work or if it's even possible for the ownership to be transferred but I hoping that someone is looking into keeping the forum up and running.

Mike recently said he was closing the forum, that's when I contacted a guy known as GrumpyVette. He runs his own forum and agreed to add a section just for the TBuckets on his forum web site. Several of you joined at that time. I could post that link again if someone likes. I hated to post this too soon, just didn't want to be seen as too crass.

I also hate to see all the excellent info in the forum just going away for ever. I know GrumpyVette would consider importing all the threads here into his site, that might be another option. He is running on the very same software as this forum, so everything would look and feel almost the same.

Let me hear what you think guys!

I would hate to see this forum go away also. It has been a great knowledge source for many of us, whether we had a T Bucket or not. Personally, I see nothing crass about your post. It is something we/someone will have to deal with, or simply loose the forum. If and when it does go away or get moved to another location, how will we know to where it moves. This forum could vanish at anytime I suppose.
Lee

You folks are certainly welcome to join us over at the National T-Bucket Alliance Forums. You do not need to be a member of NTBA to view and post in the forums, except for the Members Only forum, which is for club business. Non-members can view the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, but you must be an NTBA member to post there.

Here is the Board Index... National T-Bucket Alliance - General

I have set up a "T-bucketeers Check-In" forum so you folks can keep track of who has joined... T-bucketeers Check-In - National T-Bucket Alliance

Here is where you can join the forums. You must register to post in any of the forums. Joining the forums does not make you a member of NTBA...

National T-Bucket Alliance - User Control Panel - Register

About half of our 900+ forum members are not members of the NTBA. I know quite a few T-bucketeers are also active on the NTBA forums.

See y'all over there!

Lee in KC

I might give it a try again seeing as how this site is probably going to go south.

Jim

Losing Mike is a sad thing, I exchanged emails with him a few times and felt like he was a good friend as I feel about all of the members on here if this forum goes away some of us will lose touch with each other and that will be a loss. I am sure Mike would have wanted us to find a way to keep in touch

I just got off the phone with Mike's son, here is what I found out. Mike died from a aneurysm of his aorta, in his sleep. So he did not know he had any problem and did not suffer any.

No one can get into any of the web sites that the son knows of. We all know how secure Mike was about everything. So this site and all of his others will go down very soon.

When will this site go down, I don't know. If Mike had it running on his computer as the server, it will be when they pull the plug to get his things out of the apartment. Which could be any day now. Also might depend on how far in advance the bills are paid, if it is on another server. No one knows.

Aneurysm was my first thought when it was said he passed in his sleep...that is how my dad went. I am glad he did not suffer.

I wish I still had the functional brain cells to take over the management of the site. I have the time and hardware, but not the experience. Unfortunately my 3 decades of IT experience does not apply <sigh>. I hate to see all this disappear. :sick::cry:

I hate to see all this disappear.

Would love to import all this great info into Grumpy's Garage, I know he would support it.

I wish there was some way that we get access to the forum sever, but that would take permission and support of the idea by Mike's son.

I talked to Mike's son for about an hour last night. He said he does not know anyone at all with any access to the web site. He does not know any passwords, does not even know where or who has the server. He went on to say there were about 5 computers in the apartment all up and running. So who knows.

Without the passwords, the only probable hope I can see would be if the software manufacturer would be willing to help. I'd be very surprised if they do not have "back door" access built in. I always did on my software.

I don't know how to even begin and get Mike's son blessings first. I wouldn't even attempt it without that.

The fact is that even with Mike gone, nobody but his heirs have right to copy that content. No company would copy content without written consent from Mikes heirs. I'm sure they are concerned with more pressing things right now.

Unfortunately unless someone with lots of time and knowledge steps up, most of this content will disappear to the bowels of the Internet within a month or so. I'm open to other places, but my preference is always a dedicated T-bucket site, not one within a larger site. Knowing the frustrations and time that Mike went through to fund and run this place, I wouldn't wish that on anyone to be honest.

I'm unfortunately resigned to the fact that I'll just have to stick to posting stuff on the NTBA site which is not as technically driven as this site was. Maybe Spirit @hulkamania will pick up the baton and try a fresh start at their site. Unfortunately that leaves @RPM and CCR on the outside...

I talked to Mike's son for about an hour last night. He said he does not know anyone at all with any access to the web site. He does not know any passwords, does not even know where or who has the server. He went on to say there were about 5 computers in the apartment all up and running. So who knows.

He had a lady in England helping him with UBUNTU at the last I heard him say. He also had that [widget] that saved all his passwords with a default password. Most Is what I read in his computer issues section. A lot of info there.

Am sorry for his death but glad he did not suffer. Condolences to his family. Like Mike said "Make The Stupid People Shut Up"

What I am disappointed in is that there has been no mention in any of the T Bucket sites about Mike's passing.
Even the people who were banned or left should acknowledge Mike's passing.

Will post on Yellow Bullet and see if I can drum up some responses. There are lots of racers from Mike's era. Maybe the HAMB also.

John

NTBA has not acknowledged Mike's passing.

To be fair, there was something posted about it on he NTBA Facebook page Saturday.

What I am disappointed in is that there has been no mention in any of the T Bucket sites about Mike's passing.
Even the people who were banned or left should acknowledge Mike's passing.

Will post on Yellow Bullet and see if I can drum up some responses. There are lots of racers from Mike's era. Maybe the HAMB also.

John

NTBA has not acknowledged Mike's passing.

Lee has come on here and made a special invitation for everyone here to come to the NTBA and they have a big welcome post on the NTBA site.

Next month I will have been a supporting member here for 7 years, I check the forum at least twice a day and enjoyed reading about everyone's builds. Being in my 70's and computer illiterate Mike spent more time then I deserved helping me out with various computer problems. I built my bucket back in 67 when I was 25 years old and by the grace of God we're both still running today. I just wanted to make one last post to thank everyone for the thousands of hours of good reading and occasional jokes.

May God bless and keep you always,
Chuck

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back