Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The question on everyone's mind

George,

What kind of helicopter company was that? Army or civilian? I was in HMM-264 (USMC) and I have worked for PHI, Inc (Petroleum Helicopters) for the last 37 years

That would have been Army Aviation. We were an Assault Helicopter Company flying in support of anyone in our area that needed help. Flew with the 116th AHC under the 1st Aviation Brigade out of the 25th Inf Division's base at Cu Chi. We supported the 25th ID, 1st Div, 9th Div, Australian Forces, Special Force teams, Navy SEALs south in the Delta and others. Never saw many Marines in our area as I think they were all pretty much north. Started out on UH-1 slicks but went to the gun platoon with in a month of being there. We had one D model slick with a 20mm cannon out the right door and it was brutal. Would move the ship side ways and shake the blades out of track with in a few days of heavy firing. Maintenance got tire of that so we hung it upside down between the skids and the pilot fired it of the cyclic stick. Had a grease marker cross hair on the windshield and noted in the log book to not remove it. A real smoker that could reach out a long way before you were in the get shot down range. Went to a B model gunship a short time later that was armed with 48 rockets and I stayed with her for the remainder of an 18 month tour. Got to Ft. Sill, OK in late 69 and signed the papers to go back the day after I arrived. Went back to the same company and many of the same people and got back to C model gunships. Left in March of 70 for good. Did 29 months with the same company and never regretted one day. To bad those things cost so much to operate as everybody needs at least one! I had a lot of friends go fly for PHI after the war and stayed till they retired. Must have been a good job for that bunch to stay long. I'm thinking you said you finally retired but I could be mistaken. Take care and stay safe!

George

I would like to see this site stay up and I will do what I can to make that happen. There is so much information on this forum and it is great for the hobby. In the past we offered to host the site to cut the costs. If we can't get it transferred or run into a road block that will not come down we will get another forum up and running with the same software used but with another catchy name. I am trying to figure out a catchy name for a forum in case.

As I've said in the past , I'm a computer moron...The thought occured to me that if you have permission to view everything on this forum , does that give you the right to copy everything ????? I'm suggesting that 1 of you whizzez could set up to "auto copy " all the threads so they could be retained for a future forum ???
Just thinking out loud
dave

I am 68. I going to retire soon. But I still enjoy being involved with the Technology.

With respect to technology, I've gone the opposite route.

After close to 30 years in mainframe systems analysis, design, and programming...and close to 20 years building and repairing PCs professionally and as a hobby...I've pretty much become technophobic. The only reason I have a cell phone is that my wife and daughter bought one and demanded I have it for emergencies. I have no clue how to do voice mail or texts, and no idea what my number is. My daughter busted up laughing in the middle of her wedding ceremony when she saw me trying to take a picture with my cell phone. I stopped doing anything PC related other than as a user, since they released Vista. I'm stripping everything computer controlled off my engine for this project, and I'm going back to an old Rochester carb and a dual point distributor.

Since taking a step back from the technoflood, the stress level has also abated.

I'm thinking if we're lucky enough that all the info here is transferrable to a new site then, "New T Bucket Forums" would work.
Regards,
Mike.

I'm thinking if we're lucky enough that all the info here is transferrable to a new site then, "New T Bucket Forums" would work.
Regards,
Mike.

So far, I like this name the best because it makes the most sense to me for someone looking for this site.

Jim

Is there any way a moderator or hulkamania could p.m. everyone and request there email address before this goes down. At least then everyone could be notified of a new forum. I know that does nothing for the content that will be lost but it would give a new forum a jump start.

Nailed it in one Jim, it gives continuity to the Forum. Instead of Hulkmania PM'ing everyone it would be better if he put an e-mail addy up that everyone could send theirs to, to build a data base. I'll have to try and keep an eye on what happens with the Forum as I'm off for a 3 month trip with the Van on Wednesday.
Regards,
Mike.

I hope it can be salvaged, we stand to lose all of Youngsters posts.
Sorry, to hear about Mike. I logged back in thinking of doing a T again.

Guys: If it shuts down, I want to say that it's been great talking and meeting everyone of you. The site helped me finish my dream car and introduced me to Thomas who pushed me so hard.

Same here, Good Memories, and Good People here. We've lost some mighty fine people on this board through the years. I would hate to see it all lost... Where ever you folks find to move on to, I will follow.

Josh AKA Hulkamania from Spirit Cars and myself are working hard to save this site. I have been in touch with Mikes son, and Josh has made contact with the hosting company. Josh paid the for hosting for the next month, and we think we can get it secured in that time. So bare with us and don't go jumping ship.

Spirit Cars and RPM (Ron Pope) have been working hand in hand to try and keep this wonderful site up and we both have done a lot of research and behind the scenes work to make it happen. I talked to the hosting company today and Spirit Cars paid the bill for the server to keep the site up for another thirty days. This site is a great tool for the industry. Mike did a wonderful job in building and improving the site through the years and we both want to keep it going. We are working on trying to get the site secured as I type this. We want people to know that the site is not going anywhere right now and not to jump ship so soon. We both ask for everyone's patience through this and ask that everyone just keeping enjoying, posting and interacting on the site. We both will keep everyone posted on what is going on throughout the process and we both want to thank everyone in advance!

This is all good news. Can you go into the mechanics of using Mike's server (?). Is it still sitting in Mike's living room, turned on? Has it been moved to a different location? Is there still a "Mike's living room"?
What I think is, that this points out just how precious life is and how things can turn on a dime. Mike wasn't planning to go that night, but probably high blood pressure took it's toll. And a weird work schedule probably didn't help either.
On a lighter note, what has happened to Mike's beloved cats. Taken in by the family, I would hope.
Also, what will become of Mike's unfinished T ?

John

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back