Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tire pressure

Blue Bucket

I have the M/T flame pattern rear tires and would like to know what tire pressures other are using. Right now they are at 20 psi and that seems high because of the rough ride, thought about going to 15 psi or is that to low?

12 to 15 should work OK.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I did drop the tire pressure to 16 psi and it does make a slight difference,thanks again for the quick response. :D

We are playing around with air pressure too. Our tires are bias plies, and we had been running them at about 28 pounds all around, but seemed to get some bouncing occasionally, especially in the front tires. So we dropped them to about 24 all around and it seems much better now. We are going to keep experimenting to get the best ride we can.

Air pressure is really critical in some cars. I installed a crate engine in a guys vette one time, and when it was done I washed the car and inflated the tires to something like 32 pounds all around. On the way to my house I couldn't keep the car on the road, it was the worst handling car I had ever driven, bar none. Then I looked at the tag inside the door and it said something like 22 pounds in the rear and an equally low number in the front, but different from the back. I deflated them to these pressures and it was a totally different car, rode like a vette should.

Don

yup,like Don said,psi is missunder stud by some some,a lot of factors go into what you should use for a given tire* and it's load*,the way tire is built=cord,ply etc. and then load=speed and side forces,number of lb's on it for the car it's on,can be very def then what was marked on the side wall of the tire.
Every time we want to new type and brand of race car tire at the track,I had to do testing with tire temp readings to find best psi for the new ones . It was amzing sometimes how much def there was from one brand to another. Points is,do a little hunting with psi to find what works best for your combo.;)

This is Blue Bucket, I finally settled on 16 psi and it has made a great improvement in the ride. I will be watching tire wear using the chalk method because the MT tires are not cheap. Thanks for the help.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back