Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

To radial or not to radial....

Kaaso

Wanted to get some opinions if I may.....:flip:

I am looking at tire options (26x7.5 front and 29x18.5 rear) and wanted to see what yall think about running a non radial tire verses a radial tire. One drive better than the other on a T? Does it not make a difference? How about highway speeds? I have twisted wrenches all my life but never had any expirience with anything but radial tires on the street. Any help would be appreciated....:shrug:

Radials defiantly track better and handle better. I would not recommend mixing the two.
I have bought and recommended this company to others with good results and tires have good pattern
McCormack racing..

smaller tire link
26x8

I am looking at tire options (26x7.5 front and 29x18.5 rear) and wanted to see what yall think about running a non radial tire verses a radial tire. One drive better than the other on a T? Does it not make a difference? How about highway speeds? I have twisted wrenches all my life but never had any expirience with anything but radial tires on the street. Any help would be appreciated....:shrug:

No question: Radials are much better. Most everybody I know switched to Radials. Most of us in North Texas are running Hoosier Pro Street radials.

No question: Radials are much better. Most everybody I know switched to Radials. Most of us in North Texas are running Hoosier Pro Street radials.

I remember when I restored my 62 Impala about 20 years ago, I used the correct bias ply silvertown tires on it. I drove 420 miles to a car show in Medford Oregon, then 420 miles back and quickly took the tires off and sold them to a real purist. I elected to go radial from then on. I literally steered that car 100% of the time with the bias tires, those tires will accentuate every nook and cranny in the road, not to mention the tires turn square if parked for periods of time, never again for me. Tire technology has come a long way, why go backwards? I bet if they had a NT05 drag radial tire back when hotrodding started there would of never been a cheater slick.

Radial tires definitely, like Putz said don't mix them, if you do they do the hula dance big time. I know this from experience.

I am running 275 x 15 radials on the front an 18.50 x 31 mt bias on the rear and my car drives great no chasing it down the highway you can hold the wheel straight and very little movement to keep it straight. I have had it up to 105 mph. idid have wheel hop but after i got the mt's balanced it quit

I am running 275 x 15 radials on the front an 18.50 x 31 mt bias on the rear and my car drives great no chasing it down the highway you can hold the wheel straight and very little movement to keep it straight. I have had it up to 105 mph. idid have wheel hop but after i got the mt's balanced it quit
Same here.

I had 165 radials on the front and N50 bias ply on the rear and it handled great, on the road. When I switched to the Hoosiers, the handling improved greatly.

I appreciate everyone's input. I like the tread design of the MT's but was worried about the fact that its not a radial. I will spring for the Hooiser's. Thanks again! :tnku:

I appreciate everyone's input. I like the tread design of the MT's but was worried about the fact that its not a radial. I will spring for the Hooiser's. Thanks again! :tnku:

the M/T flame pattern is radial.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back