Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tri Power

rooster57 said:
Does anyone have a comment on this setup.
I could see problems with fuel not flowing into intake properly.Intakes are setup to take so many CFMs and this will probably not work right.

Don has one with 2 carbs i wonder how his works .

Rooster, I'm sure Don will way in in this, but I believe he had a stumble with his 2x2 setup. He said he opened up the accelerator pump squirters and maximized the pump shot and it helped.

There's a lot of plenum volume with that adapter (even more than Don's) combined with the manifold that it's bolted to. Without a healthy pump shot, I would expect an off-idle and/or tip-in stumble. There is very little adjustment on the Rochester accel. pump.

The dedicated 3x2 manifolds actually have fairly small runners. Neither of my setups have throttle response problems with the dedicated manifolds. They have pretty crisp response, actually.

I know it's more expense, but I think you would be happier with the outcome if you go with the kit for the end carbs. My 2 cents and I won't mention it again.:win:

Mike

That is exactly what i wanted to hear some one with the manifold and carbs i want to give me some feed back. I think don said that setup was every bit of a grand. I think i could do a tripower for not much more than that and have the look and preformance

Well, I just checked Speedway.

$400 for the base and linkage kit.

$300 for the manifold. You might shop around and save some on this. Speedway is usually pretty hard to beat, though. Edit - Summit has it for $272.

You would still need rebuild kits or at least a new needle/seat and accel pump (x3). I think these are available from NAPA individually. The Speedway kit comes with gaskets.

Studs for the carbs. Air cleaners - basic 4" from Speedway $10 x 3, although you might want to go with something a little bigger. 4" is pretty restrictive (I'm running 4", so take it from me). K&N sells a GTO filter setup (6" round x 3) for about $150.

That leaves the fuel lines and a regulator. You can be as simple as a fuel block and hose or bend up some hard lines. Don't leave out the regulator (4 1/2 to 5 pounds).

You also have to run a small base distributor. Large HEI won't fit.

If you get your core carbs fairly cheap, you could easily do it for a grand or so.

Wish we were closer, I would help you. As it is, I'll do the best I can here.

Mike

Hey 46 i tried to locate the manifold and had no luck was that for 87-92 or a pre 86 manifold???? mt manifold had the cantered center bolts.

That Tri power looks just like to one I had on my very first T Bucket, too bad it was all hidden under a cover with sides, that I made.. could have been just a 2 barrel carb... I love the end carbs of of the stock GM tri-power setups, no muss or fuss...:D

Thanks Ted next season i want to roll out with a tri-power and not some cobbled up mess a proper tripower. So what ever it takes !!!!

rooster57 said:
Don has one with 2 carbs i wonder how his works .

Well, the setup I have is a poor mans way to get multiple carbs. It is an adapter that goes on a standard four barrel intake and mounts two Rochester 2gc carbs. I bought it from Vinatage Speed. For the first year of my T's life I ran a single Edelbrock 600 cfm carb and it was flawless in all respects. Ran smooth, lots of power, and one time on the interstate I even got 30 mpg, believe it or not. For those reasons I resisted changing it out, but I did want something that looked more old timey and more hot roddy.

I can't honestly say the 2 x 2 setup is nearly as good in the smoothness, power, or economy areas. In fairness though, I just bolted it on and never played with it. I think I have too much fuel pressure coming out of my Holley electric pump. I understand that these Rochesters like about 3 to 3.5 lbs of fuel pressure, so that could be part of my problem. It isn't so bad that I've had any real problems, but since you asked me to rate it I have to say a single four barrel still is the most reliable, troublefree setup.

But on the cool scale, there is nothing like 2 or 3 or more carbs sitting on top of a motor, so on that score I do like the 2 x 2 setup better. It changed the complexion of my car in my mind.

Don

PopsTcarbs011.jpg

I bought this setup for my Son Don. He's starting to collect parts to build an American Grafitti coupe clone. :D

donsnewintake016.jpg

Don that second picture is torture its like two girls pulling up next to you and flashing me and then taking the next exit its just not FAIR. But i will say your son is a lucky man. Thanks for the feed back. So no hesitation, and idle is good????

Don could i get some more pics of your double duce if you dont mind.

The idle is slightly rougher because of the over rich condition, so I really need to install that fuel pressure regulator one of these days. The side benefit though is that it makes my mild cam sound like more than it is. :D

Here are the only pictures I have of the setup.

Don

PopsTcarbs016-2.jpg

PopsTcarbs017-1.jpg

tnewcarbsinstalled017.jpg

Sorry I haven't answered sooner. I had to change the distributor in my son's truck last night. The pick-up coil in the HEI went bad.

The manifold I priced was the old style. I checked with Offy and Edelbrock, but they don't have one for your heads (you already knew that though).

Looks like redrilling the center holes is your only option for a new manifold.

Mike

putz said:
I could see problems with fuel not flowing into intake properly.Intakes are setup to take so many CFMs and this will probably not work right.

Hey Rooster.....just let me add something here.........OK.....more less this 'adaptor' has a carb base pattern like a big holley, right? OK, your engine is a 305.....it'll only take about 650 cfm max before it gets overwhelmed.......you can more or less run 3-200 cfm carbs,,,,,,,BUT......your gonna have 3 accelerator pumps shooting fuel into this pot more or less and then your gonna have a big bottleneck down to a single 4 area.....there's a lot of chance for fuel to fall out of suspension there..........some turbulence is good for mixing....alot is a bad thing unless you talking blowers and high pressures and big, tall tunnelrams......but thats another really involved tech article there.

I think Putz is concerned about all that fuel and air getting squeezed down into the mouth and spreading back open agian........that is my concern too.

Between all of us here on the board and the HAMB site.....we can probably find you a good used 3-2 intake to fit the smallblock probably for the amount of money you'd pay for that adaptor and therefore do it right! Yes.....2 carbs you'd create a overrich condition...................................and he's running 2 on his Bucket........................just as our fellow T'er said..........just think of adding another carb into his equation.
See what I mean?????????????????

If you can't find a intake to your liking.....find a Edelbrock C4B , take it to a machine shop.......with some scrap aluminum pieces.......they can mill out the top of the intake and put you a top on it for the 3-2's and it'll be custom..................just my 2 Pecos....................What ya think Ted??
:think:

Don, you have probably answered this before, but, does one of the carbs have it's idle circut blocked off? If so, which is the primary carb with the functioning idle circut? Also, do you have a progressive linkage set up on the carbs or are they hooked up one to one? It really is an interesting set up as far as tuning possibilities.
As always, love your T, hope to see your sons car soon.

John

cross-ram-chevy-1.jpg
Can you say Cross Ram
cross-ram-chevy-1.jpg
. They are a little tempremantal from what I understand but definately a different look.

one finger john said:
Don, you have probably answered this before, but, does one of the carbs have it's idle circut blocked off? If so, which is the primary carb with the functioning idle circut? Also, do you have a progressive linkage set up on the carbs or are they hooked up one to one? It really is an interesting set up as far as tuning possibilities.
As always, love your T, hope to see your sons car soon.

John

Thanks John. Sometimes I wonder if Dan's car will EVER be done.:sad: (he hasn't figured out the concept of GET IT ON THE ROAD AND FINISH IT LATER yet) As for the carbs, I bought them done and ready to bolt on. Vintage Speed either rebuilt them or had them rebuilt with one of them using what is probably a Speedway base that has no idle screws in it. So I guess that one has been modified to just be a dumper.

I wasn't particularly looking for this type but they had the complete setup as you see it at their booth at Turkey Run and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I was actually holding out until Edelbrock released their tripower manifold for the Vortec engine (which is now available) but in some respects I kinda sorta like this one better as it sits up real high on top of the aluminum intake with the added height of the adapter. It makes for a nice view driving down the road. :)

After I get done putting my 27 together (trying to make the Billetproof Drags in Oct) I have to take some time to do some things to my 23, and the first on the list is to tame down the fuel pressure and play with the adjustments a little to try to cure the over rich thing.

Don

Thanks guys i need to make a couple of swapmeets and gather up some bits thanks for the info.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back