Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

ultra fun 23 build lol

sorry that pc was way to big but anyway it ruined the piece I was making so after a few days of healing I will remake it see its all bent up but no big deal at least I still have a finger lol 20170309_173643.jpg

hopefully by the end of the weekend I will be ready to at least start it getting ready for warm weather will update more later

Dan, are you cutting those holes with a hole saw, or strictly by hand? If with a hole, try securing it to a board before drilling. On thin metal, I turn fast, and feed down pressure real, real slow. I think I would draw the pattern and leave the metal in a large piece before cutting the actual outer shape.

I normally do clamp the pieces down before grinding or drilling . I just messed up and got in a hurry lol. I used a plascutter to rough in the larger holes and was just grinding the slag off before I finished them with a die grinder as I didn't have a 5 inch hole saw at home. I should have just waited and done it at work with the proper equipment. Getting complacent is when most bad things happen. First time in many years.

I'm more upset that I have to remake the part but thankful I have a finger instead of a stub. I have been catching up on everyone's builds this evening whole I have some downtime man there is a lot of talent on this board hope to be ready for the pigeon forge event this summer

Good progress! The grinder....I watched my partner at work catch one on his shirt and it cut his throat, he had to have emergency surgery. He was a journeyman too, not a ametur. He was using a 6" cutoff wheel, no guard to cut a metal stud to install a header in a wall and it kicked back and grabbed his shirt, dug into his neck in a split second. I've cut myself more times than I can count, it just happens sometimes. That looks nasty, but I'm glad that you weren't hurt worse! The grill screen looks good, it will protect the radiator too. I'm going to do something similar to mine, not sure exactly what. I haven't got to that point yet. Don't blink whith your daughter. Seems like yesterday when my daughter and I were messing with her go cart, etc... now she's in college. They can get in the way, but it's worth the time to spend with them.

Battle scar!. I trust you gave the grinder a good beating for the disrespect it showed:)

lol yep i threw it in the floor and said bad thing to it and it replied dummy it was your own fault. i also think it was smiling:unsure:

fletcherson sorry to hear about your friend its amazing what i simple tool can do to a person in a split second. your right about kids growing up i also have a 20 year old daughter and a 17 year old son to oldest is out on her own doing well and i look back and try and figure out were the time went. and my son isint into cars just gaming friends and other things. and as long as his car starts he dosent have a care in the world its amazing how things have changed in the past several years now they just want to sit on a game or phone.

fletcherson sorry to hear about your friend its amazing what i simple tool can do to a person in a split second. your right about kids growing up i also have a 20 year old daughter and a 17 year old son to oldest is out on her own doing well and i look back and try and figure out were the time went. and my son isint into cars just gaming friends and other things. and as long as his car starts he dosent have a care in the world its amazing how things have changed in the past several years now they just want to sit on a game or phone.
Me too, my son is 24, good kid, plays music, writes, blogs, phone, etc... has no interest in cars, real estate, nothing that I can really help him with... gods curse? Just kidding, everyone is their own person. Hurts a little sometimes, but we just do the best we can for them, then it's on them. Hopefully my daughter will end up with a good husband that I like and is interested or my life's work will seemingly be for not, lol. Oh well, can't take it with me.

Amen to the above!:):thumbsup: I've heard that it sometimes skips generations ; neither of my sons is interested in cars, but my grandson - another story!;):rolleyes::p:D
Carson welds2.jpg Carson welds.jpg

Glad to see I'm not the only one seeing kids the way they are now days lol.sPanky looks like your forming your grandson into a fine fabricator for sure. I did make my son take machine shop in school this year and at first he didn't like it but now he is starting to. I'm a firm believer that all kids should take some type of classes in a trade even if they don't use it in life at least they can have a fall back in case something doesn't work out and make a decent living. I myself being in the electrical and maintenance trade have seen that there is not enuff young people showing interstate in the fields.

Fletcher son your right it dose hurt a little with them not interested. But then I look at the things they are good at and enjoy doing and am very proud. But if more kids don't show a interest then who will we pass the knowledge on to lol.I think you guys are right it does skip generations lol finger feels fairly good so tomorrow I think I will do a little work on it going to be spring soon got to get this thing done lol

as I last posted I had a finger issue so that put me behind on my build. good news is its finally healed up and kinda works now still not perfect but hey at least they were able to fix it:). I have made a lot of progress on the car it runs and drives and I have got my vin number from the state of Indiana. that was a process that I was dreading for sure but it actually went really smooth. but I will say to all of the great bucketheads out there make sure you have documented your build very well have all of your receipts for everything you have purchased pics of the build and be prepared to do all of the leg work for the bmv that way your sure to get it passed thru the system. I went as far as totaling everything up for them and even writing up a letter about the whole build.it only took them a week to have my vin number mailed to me I got insurance today and will get my plates later this week. I still have to finish my wiring and a lot of small things to finish but should be ready for all out crusing in the next week.

here is the finished dash that put me out of commission for awhile lol. I remade the dash insert and machined a set of bezels to go over the Datsun 280 gauges as you can also see I made and installed the pedels and installed the shifter. I ended up not using the shifter I made and bought a hurst streetrod shifter from a local shop that was new old stock I like it because it has no button to push the whole shifter moves up and down to lock into gear.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back