Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Unusual front ends

I remember back when I first got bit by the TBug, I'd worked as a engine-builder, doing really fast cars, dealing with altereds all the time and FC's, mostly the alkys. I used to see T's at the track all the times, I'd see some residents bring their rigs to the track, the weekend warrior stuff....
I was like Naaaaa, just a frame, motor, and a place to sit....
Year after year I'd see these little cars....I just looked like what I was working on all the time. I knew the potential of these things, but was just turned off by their looks....
That was until I say this T over in Ca., and it had the right motor, the right stance, and the right look. I was tuning a car for the Summer Nationals, I heard this Big Block Pontiac, idling out in the parking lot. I turned to look, and there she sat. I put down my wrenches, got some hand cleaner and grabbed my rag cleaned my hands, grabbed my creme soda, walked thru the line of trailers, out the gate, into the public parkinglot.
I LOVED PONTIACS....espescially the old HO's and Super Duty Catalina's, GTO's, FireBirds....
Anyway, It was Called The Big Chief....And I fell in LOVE!
If this owner would sell this car, I would have bought it, right there, on the spot....it was Pontiac Powered, Thin wheels up front, and Huge Weenies out back....

Anyway....I started eyeing these cars, and I started thinking how I'd build my own, so I started saving parts, finding old motors, etc, storing them.

Now I've seen some ugly shit built that I would not be caught dead standing beside....but who am I to say whats best for this guy or that guy.....hell, if they like it, thats the main thing.
I've seen stuff that I absolutely hate, win shows, so, what do I know!
Anyway, I stopped critizing, and started looking for details and the history....and starting enjoying the unique-ness of these cars, and their heritage....

While I myself like a certain look most appealing, I now like and enjoy looking at all TBuckets....But the Look at that T in the parking Lot.....The Big Chief....I'll never ever forget that nerve that she struck. And most all my builds I've done for myself have been to CAPTURE that look That I Loved About That Car....

EYE Candy!!! for you S/M

image.jpeg

Don't see any suspension. Is it solid? Looks like they just used the spindles. I think it was in Rod and Custom years ago. Guess I need to find the issue. Lol

Looks to be a tube axle linked to a cross mounted torsion bar. The parallel four bars set the wheelbase. The upper triangulated linkage locate the top of the spindle and center the axle. long way to get there but it is different.

Bill, You mean like this!

IMAG0486.jpg
That is an ancestor of what I was looking for. I'd want an early 50s 327 cid Thunderbolt. After the war, Packard applied a lot of what was learned producing engines for the military. The early 50s 327s had a horsepower rating of 180 bhp...exactly the same as the 331 hemi V8s of the same time period. Not a racer or burnout champ, but an excellent novel cruiser.

That is an ancestor of what I was looking for. I'd want an early 50s 327 cid Thunderbolt. After the war, Packard applied a lot of what was learned producing engines for the military. The early 50s 327s had a horsepower rating of 180 bhp...exactly the same as the 331 hemi V8s of the same time period. Not a racer or burnout champ, but an excellent novel cruiser.

Bill, this engine is so smooth running and so quite that you can barely hear it running. I have been standing at the rear fender when it was backed up and didn't realize it was moving under engine power. Really need one of these just to mount on a "Look At Me" stand!

Bill, this engine is so smooth running and so quite that you can barely hear it running. I have been standing at the rear fender when it was backed up and didn't realize it was moving under engine power. Really need one of these just to mount on a "Look At Me" stand!

That was exactly my plan. I wanted to restore the engine to stock form, then mount it in a stand with a radiator, gauges and a small fuel cell. Once I got it that far I wanted to start scrounging for factory and aftermarket speed equipment for it.

Being the son of a serious MOPAR fanatic, I think it's genetically imprinted on me to love the old slant 6s. But if I had my choice of modern inline 6s to play with it would have to be the MOPAR via Jeep via AMC 4.0 litre engine. The offroad crowd have really pushed the development of aftermarket goodies for that engine...especially stroker kits and long & short stroker blocks. I've read where they've pushed close to 500hp out of a turbo stroker.

Those in line eights are very smooth because they have a cylinder firing so often. They don't need high rpm to make power. I love old cool different engines and the like. My uncle used to race Studebaker Golden Hawks with the McColough super charger. I almost had one a couple years back, but the guy who had it was going to put a sbc in it, the idiot left the original engine lay out and with the caps off the journals and the crank was laying flat on concrete, parts everywhere...What a waste...

Getting back to the front suspension topic...a couple of years ago when I got bit by the track roadster bug, I worked out a plan for a trailing arm IFS using coil-overs. Think an original Beetle front suspension, using coil-overs instead of torsion bars. The whole thing could have been done with off the shelf parts. It would have been cool on a car with a track roadster nose, but I'm not sure how it would look with an open T-Bucket theme.

Those in line eights are very smooth because they have a cylinder firing so often. They don't need high rpm to make power. I love old cool different engines and the like. My uncle used to race Studebaker Golden Hawks with the McColough super charger. I almost had one a couple years back, but the guy who had it was going to put a sbc in it, the idiot left the original engine lay out and with the caps off the journals and the crank was laying flat on concrete, parts everywhere...What a waste...
Closet Studebaker nut here. A Studebaker 289 is another engine I'd love to wrench on.

Getting back to the front suspension topic...a couple of years ago when I got bit by the track roadster bug, I worked out a plan for a trailing arm IFS using coil-overs. Think an original Beetle front suspension, using coil-overs instead of torsion bars. The whole thing could have been done with off the shelf parts. It would have been cool on a car with a track roadster nose, but I'm not sure how it would look with an open T-Bucket theme.
Sorry to sray away from the topic, just following the conversation.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back