Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

wheel size

Yes, that would be an option, but I do not think that would allow me to keep the disk brakes on the rear. I believe that the Ragers and Aerostars were drum only. I'm more and more OK with settling for those 15x7 Bassett DOT wheels. They are dirt cheap, and I can use the same tires I was planning on if I got 15x8s. Also, a friend has given me the idea of putting the Bonneville style spun aluminum wheel discs on them if I decide I do not like the looks of those wheels.

You are correct in thinking you can not keep your current brakes. However, you can easily swap in some 95-2004 rear discs from the autowreckers for low buck. That's the best thing about 8.8's is the selection of low buck stock Ford parts. What ever works for you is all that matters though. ;)

What models had 5 bolt 28 spline axles with disc brakes that would be the same length as the 88' T-Birds? I know the the Explorers were 5 bolt disc brakes, but they were 31 spline.

94 and up Mustangs had 5 bolt disc brake 8.8 rear ends with 28 spline axles. Not sure about the lengths though.

What models had 5 bolt 28 spline axles with disc brakes that would be the same length as the 88' T-Birds? I know the the Explorers were 5 bolt disc brakes, but they were 31 spline.

Just the newer explorer and ranger axles were 31 spline. The older units were 28 spline.

I recently did this on my 93 Mustang and the problem I ran into is the little bolt on the cross bolt in the differential would round off when I tried to remove it. This is apparently a known problem for the earlier years but without heat they can be hard to get out. After a couple trips to the autowreckers I ended up just buying new axles from North Race cars.

I have not done this on a Tbird however and the newer years are 1/2' wider or something so some more investigation would be needed.

http://www.coolcats.net/modifying/4to5lug.html

quote from this page;
REAR

In back, things do get a bit trickier. What is true is that you must change the axle shafts to those with a 5-lug pattern. Then you must get the appropriate 5-lug brake drum (stock) or disc brake rotor (upgraded). Really, that's it in a nutshell.

Axle ShaftsNow you can have your stock shafts machined for the 5-lug pattern, but as affordable and plentiful as new or used 5-lug axle shafts are these days, it makes more sense to search those out. Regardless of your model year 1983-88 and your rear end width, these axle shafts will directly swap into your Cougar's rear axle:

• 1994-98 Mustang-width axle shafts (29 5/16", 7.5" or 8.8", non-ABS)
  • 1983-92 Ford Ranger pickup axle shafts (2 driver's side, 29 1/8")
  • 1986-97 Ford Aerostar minivan (2 passenger side, 29 1/8").
All stock Ford passenger car rear ends of our era had 28-spline axle shafts. If you need to see more specific information concerning rear end widths, axle shafts, and brake configurations, or simply need photographic references, please see the thread posted here. You can also visit this site for a chart with measurements.

- See more at: http://www.coolcats.net/modifying/4to5lug.html#sthash.Gkfn7ByP.dpuf

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back