Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wintec

fletcherson

is anyone receiving parts from wintec? I don't want to trash talk, just wondering if anyone is getting the parts they order.

I played phone tag for a few days and read posts about others having trouble so I went elsewhere. He was the only one that had what I wanted so I'll build it myself.

Fletch,
I told you my experience with them......not good, but chalked that up to wanting chrome parts. Check out the Better business bureau site for other comments........Sorry, you are having problems, I like what they have but, just don't produce.....at least in a timely fashion.

I read the bad experiences from others after I ordered parts. I thought the issue was due to his chrome sub contractor after talking to Jim, so I let it ride. I try to be understanding and see both sides before reacting, but I am just about past that point. I just want my parts. It's only been since February 16 when I placed the order... Jim Wilkos personally told me that he had the parts back from chrome and was set to ship them two weeks ago and I would have them the following week, that was the week that ended a week ago. No return calls, no return emails. Is wintec still in business? I have a hard time understanding apparent deception. If there is some hardship or explanation, I will take this back. This is a hobby, it shouldn't have to turn into a legal dispute. If there is a hold up a simple explanation seems in order. If they were shipped, a tracking number is merited. I know nobody wants to hear anyone complain, and I don't want to be that guy. I just wonder if anyone is actually getting parts so I can decide what I have to do to keep my project moving and protect my investment. I also noticed that the other posts about this vanished. I understand loyalty to business partners, but reputations should matter. I wouldn't have ordered from them if not for this site. No offense intended.

I will say that chrome is an issue for everyone in the business. A good chrome shop is very hard to find. I know that @RPM doesn't even offer chrome parts he makes and i am sure he doesn't want that headache. We have gone through so many chrome shops over the years from shop went out of business, taking way too long, or they don't respond to voicemail or emails. With that said we have a great chrome shop right now but it depends on how busy they are, how many product we have that chrome shop, if they have big jobs from other customers makes all the difference in the world on turnaround and etc. Chrome is such a headache for many vendors in the industry. A good chrome shop is like a good painter, or upholstery guy. They all work on their time frame and there is no speeding up or think you are going to get more. We just recently found this chrome shop. We used a chrome shop in Louisiana and it was great at first but then turned into a nightmare. I know in my scenario I have been told one date and it didn't happen and told another date and it still didn't happen. We are behind on chrome parts now as we are waiting on our orders to get done. When we have had to try to find chrome shops in the past i called one of the big chrome shops and they told me turnaround was 20-30 weeks. I hope I wasn't ranting and raving but wanted to shed some light on my experience with chroming process and chrome shops.

I will say that chrome is an issue for everyone in the business. A good chrome shop is very hard to find. I know that @RPM doesn't even offer chrome parts he makes and i am sure he doesn't want that headache. We have gone through so many chrome shops over the years from shop went out of business, taking way too long, or they don't respond to voicemail or emails. With that said we have a great chrome shop right now but it depends on how busy they are, how many product we have that chrome shop, if they have big jobs from other customers makes all the difference in the world on turnaround and etc. Chrome is such a headache for many vendors in the industry. A good chrome shop is like a good painter, or upholstery guy. They all work on their time frame and there is no speeding up or think you are going to get more. We just recently found this chrome shop. We used a chrome shop in Louisiana and it was great at first but then turned into a nightmare. I know in my scenario I have been told one date and it didn't happen and told another date and it still didn't happen. We are behind on chrome parts now as we are waiting on our orders to get done. When we have had to try to find chrome shops in the past i called one of the big chrome shops and they told me turnaround was 20-30 weeks. I hope I wasn't ranting and raving but wanted to shed some light on my experience with chroming process and chrome shops.
I totally understand, and am not faulting anyone if the third party chrome shop is a hold up, I have a hard time getting stuff chromed where I live, so I understand. I also appreciate your explanation and I know you have nothing to do with it. But when I am told the parts are done and ready to ship, and told they will be here, I expect at least a return call or email to explain why not or a tracking number. I may be over reacting after the long wait and reading other posts about guys having similar issues. I waited almost a week after the expected delivery date to even call or email. I have left several voice mails and emails over the course of several days without a reply prior to this post. I'm not being unreasonable or impatient. I know the parts are custom made, etc... I have owned and managed small businesses and understand that things do happen, especially with sub contractors and third party vendors, but communication saves a lot of headache. If there is a reasonable explanation, I will be the first one to apologize. Again, I don't want to be a jerk, or trash anyone, I just want the parts or an honest explanation and a refund if they aren't available so I can move on. I do appreciate the work and effort you guys put into the parts. I wish the car didn't have all of the chrome parts on it. It would be much easier and cheaper to reserect it, but it has chrome front and rear suspension, so I didn't want to throw painted parts on it...

@hulkamania you are absolutely right chrome is a nightmare, that we don't want. There are 2 chromers in Knoxville and both are the same, stuff not done anywhere near the promised time. Pricing is ridiculous also.

Last edited:
I read the bad experiences from others after I ordered parts. I thought the issue was due to his chrome sub contractor after talking to Jim, so I let it ride. I try to be understanding and see both sides before reacting, but I am just about past that point. I just want my parts. It's only been since February 16 when I placed the order... Jim Wilkos personally told me that he had the parts back from chrome and was set to ship them two weeks ago and I would have them the following week, that was the week that ended a week ago. No return calls, no return emails. Is wintec still in business? I have a hard time understanding apparent deception. If there is some hardship or explanation, I will take this back. This is a hobby, it shouldn't have to turn into a legal dispute. If there is a hold up a simple explanation seems in order. If they were shipped, a tracking number is merited. I know nobody wants to hear anyone complain, and I don't want to be that guy. I just wonder if anyone is actually getting parts so I can decide what I have to do to keep my project moving and protect my investment. I also noticed that the other posts about this vanished. I understand loyalty to business partners, but reputations should matter. I wouldn't have ordered from them if not for this site. No offense intended.

Very unfortunate that he told you they were done two weeks ago and still nothing. That would make me wonder????

I totally understand, and am not faulting anyone if the third party chrome shop is a hold up, I have a hard time getting stuff chromed where I live, so I understand. I also appreciate your explanation and I know you have nothing to do with it. But when I am told the parts are done and ready to ship, and told they will be here, I expect at least a return call or email to explain why not or a tracking number. I may be over reacting after the long wait and reading other posts about guys having similar issues. I waited almost a week after the expected delivery date to even call or email. I have left several voice mails and emails over the course of several days without a reply prior to this post. I'm not being unreasonable or impatient. I know the parts are custom made, etc... I have owned and managed small businesses and understand that things do happen, especially with sub contractors and third party vendors, but communication saves a lot of headache. If there is a reasonable explanation, I will be the first one to apologize. Again, I don't want to be a jerk, or trash anyone, I just want the parts or an honest explanation and a refund if they aren't available so I can move on. I do appreciate the work and effort you guys put into the parts. I wish the car didn't have all of the chrome parts on it. It would be much easier and cheaper to reserect it, but it has chrome front and rear suspension, so I didn't want to throw painted parts on it...

I just wanted to explain my headaches with the board and shed a little light on chrome shops. I can understand your point about not getting an email, call back or tracking number and you just want your parts.

Ok, got a phone call with an explanation that I won't elaborate on, but I totally understand the hold up. Parts supposedly on the way. At this point, I am fine with it. Sorry for any negative impact that this may have caused. Let me just say that I would have expected some communication, but I do understand that things come up in life that are out of our control and take priority and that's that. After learning what I now know, I am fine with this thread being removed so it doesn't reflect poorly on Jim and wintec. Good luck Jim! Thanks for your help.

Reactions: RPM
Its hard to find a chrome joint anymore. They used to be everywhere 20 years ago. Epa restrictions really wrecked that industry here in the U.S. The ones that survived take forever and charge big bucks. I know guys that send stuff down Mexico way but after a while they get burned by missing stuff and fly by night truckers.

I have no chrome ordered and have been waiting 8 1/2 months. A human can be made in that time !!

Reactions: RPM
Ok, got a phone call with an explanation that I won't elaborate on, but I totally understand the hold up. Parts supposedly on the way. At this point, I am fine with it. Sorry for any negative impact that this may have caused. Let me just say that I would have expected some communication, but I do understand that things come up in life that are out of our control and take priority and that's that. After learning what I now know, I am fine with this thread being removed so it doesn't reflect poorly on Jim and wintec. Good luck Jim! Thanks for your help.
Good news on the shipped parts, let us know when you have your hands on it.

what the heck are you waiting on that is 8 1/2 months?
Fully welded 23 T Frame, I- beam front suspension kit. fully welded 9" ford housing, rear radius rod kit, and 23 T body with floor.

Whew....... glad I got Ron to make what I needed.

Good news on the shipped parts, let us know when you have your hands on it.
For any interested, I did receive the parts from wintec today. There were only two large chrome parts, the brackets and some fasteners, that were the holdup from chrome. They look decent from a quick glance, one is better than the other, a few pits in chrome, but I think the caliper will hide it. Hard to reach spot, no big deal, I think they will look fine. looks like the rest of the parts are there as well, I haven't began mock up yet. Thanks Jim! Hope all is as well as can be expected.

For any interested, I did receive the parts from wintec today. There were only two large chrome parts, the brackets and some fasteners, that were the holdup from chrome. They look decent from a quick glance, one is better than the other, a few pits in chrome, but I think the caliper will hide it. Hard to reach spot, no big deal, I think they will look fine. looks like the rest of the parts are there as well, I haven't began mock up yet. Thanks Jim! Hope all is as well as can be expected.
Good news Fletch, glad you are able to move on with your project. I have requested a refund and will keep y'all posted on my efforts. My dream has become a nightmare. The time that has passed since I submitted my order was used to collect parts (brake system, fuel system, electrical system). This way I had a good start when I received my order. There are parts I can order now but they are not really the "nuts and bolts" such as steering components, due to the difference in what chassis/body combo is used. Hopefully I can get this settled and move on, while maintaining my waning motivation in this project.

Yea, I get your disappointment. It doesn't take much to take the wind out of my sail these days, let alone unexpected setbacks like with the parts. The reason that I ordered all of the brake parts when I did(in February) was because my best friend, a life long machinist, was slow at work and had time and access to all of the machines so he could adapt the brakes to my old magnesium spindle mount wheels. Now that window is closed, so it was a disappointment for me too. I hope you can get it resolved. I have only had this purchasing experience with wintec, the parts look to be acceptable, but I would have went another direction if I suspected it would take as long. From my interaction with them "Jim", he has been pleasant and helpful, but has some issues that are not of his making to deal with, and apparently doesn't have much help to cover for him.(?) I don't know what to really say. Stuff does happen. Glad I got my parts. I have had good experience dealing with Ron at rpm, he has been helpful, responds fast, ships as expected. I would have bought the brake parts from him, but I needed chrome, and the spindle mount wheels aren't off the shelf parts. Wintec has some good stuff, I hate that it's difficult to get them. I have had good luck with speedway, heard good things about spirit and California custom, but haven't bought from them yet personally, but the project is not finished, lol. Check with rpm, spirit, or California custom roadsters to see what they can do for you. I bet one of them have or can build a compatible frame, etc to get your project back on track if you can't get things resolved with wintec. At least if you put together a backup plan it will keep you motivated.... Good luck, I will watch for your progress.

I've had no dealings with Jim in the last year, but have had good experiences with him in the past.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back