Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"YOU SPENT HOW MUCH??!!" and "Did you stick to the plan?"

tfeverfred

Today, after work, I was shining Miss Behavin' and had a thought... just how much did I spend on her? As far as worth, she's priceless (well, to me anyway), but how much hard earned cash did I really have into her? I get asked all the time and usually just say, "Oh, about $8,000 or $9,000."

So, with caculator in hand, I gathered up all my reciepts. Now, most of you know that the Houston police wrecked and paid for a rebuild, so I didn't include the extras I was able to swing from the settlement. Well, the grand total was...... wait for it.... $10, 137.59!!! HOLY JEEBUS!!
And I'm missing some reciepts, so add another $500/$600!!

After thinking what else I could have used the money for and clearing my head of THAT craziness, I figured that's really not bad for a little scoot around hot rod. She's not as trick as a show car and she's not the "fastest car in the valley", but damn it, when I crank her up, rev my engine (for the ricer kid down the street), back out and cruise off... she makes my smile I like a $1,000,000! And that, my friends, is all that matters.

Now, since I'm writting the longest post I've done in a while... like two years, I did something else. I wanted to see how far I wandered from my original plan. For you guys or gals starting out, THIS is very important. Nothing ever came from not having a plan or at the least, a goal. So, I dug into my old build thread (it's dated 2/2008, but the day I got the frame is 10/12/2006) and found the picture that was stuck on my wall the whole time I was gathering parts. Here it is:

23T_idea-2.jpg

and here's a fairly recent pic:

039-1.jpg

Not too far off, I guess. While it would have been nice to get a 409 block (remember... it's Christmas! Someone could surprise me!?), the ole' 305 does just fine. One day she'll be black and have red upholstery, but in the meantime, I'll keep her the way she is and continue to squeal my tires in front of the ricer boys house. Hey...... isn't that what these things are REALLY for?

I think you done good........................

Funny thing, I just read your build thread front to back last night. I got the the end and found out about the wreck, and read the rebuild thread front to back. (wife was getting a little upset about the lack of attention!) Great build, both times.

Thanks! Yea, that wreck sucked. Happened 3 months after I started havin' fun. But in a way, it was a blessing. Thought me that, in the end, these are just material things and you can always get them back. Also taught me to LOOK HARDER when driving.

that black car is pretty shweet a poster on the wall of that car is good thing to use for a general idea , your car is nice also ,

Man, I had that bucket jammed in my head the whole time. I'm getting new headers soon and thought about lake headers. But I wouldn't want to run drop down pipes and the fumes go into the cockpit. So..... I'm going with ceramic "classics". Gonna be a Christmas present to myself.

Yeah, don't ever add up the receipts. I did that a while back and was also shocked and mine isn't even running. But, and I mean a big BUT, when you have a plan (as you did) and have basically hand-picked every piece that's going into this project, then it's kind of hard to put a price on doing it "your way". Still, I could have bought a done T for what I have in receipts. No picture in my garage, though there is one I've had up at work. The finished product is in my head for right now.

5ee23k.jpg

I'm with you Mr. T, don't add up the slips. I'd be feeling really guilty and would need my brains tested. BTW, mine isn't even running either.
One look at the front of your car stance, it seems to be all worth it though doesn't it?

Here in Missouri we have to total up the costs so we can pay sales tax on items we bought that did not include any sales tax. We also have to have receipts/bills-of-sale for drive train items to prove to state patrol that they aren't stolen.

Today, after work, I was shining Miss Behavin' and had a thought... just how much did I spend on her? As far as worth, she's priceless (well, to me anyway), but how much hard earned cash did I really have into her? I get asked all the time and usually just say, "Oh, about $8,000 or $9,000."

So, with caculator in hand, I gathered up all my reciepts. Now, most of you know that the Houston police wrecked and paid for a rebuild, so I didn't include the extras I was able to swing from the settlement. Well, the grand total was...... wait for it.... $10, 137.59!!! HOLY JEEBUS!!
And I'm missing some reciepts, so add another $500/$600!!

After thinking what else I could have used the money for and clearing my head of THAT craziness, I figured that's really not bad for a little scoot around hot rod. She's not as trick as a show car and she's not the "fastest car in the valley", but damn it, when I crank her up, rev my engine (for the ricer kid down the street), back out and cruise off... she makes my smile I like a $1,000,000! And that, my friends, is all that matters.

Now, since I'm writting the longest post I've done in a while... like two years, I did something else. I wanted to see how far I wandered from my original plan. For you guys or gals starting out, THIS is very important. Nothing ever came from not having a plan or at the least, a goal. So, I dug into my old build thread (it's dated 2/2008, but the day I got the frame is 10/12/2006) and found the picture that was stuck on my wall the whole time I was gathering parts. Here it is:

23T_idea-2.jpg

and here's a fairly recent pic:

039-1.jpg

Not too far off, I guess. While it would have been nice to get a 409 block (remember... it's Christmas! Someone could surprise me!?), the ole' 305 does just fine. One day she'll be black and have red upholstery, but in the meantime, I'll keep her the way she is and continue to squeal my tires in front of the ricer boys house. Hey...... isn't that what these things are REALLY for?

Fred,

I have done the same as you (at least I have a plan in my head) and I'm on the path $$ wise to be where I think I should be, about 15,000.00. This will include the paint too. No fancy engine (a plain 350) and no body yet! I have found that time is in short supply when trying to juggle all of daily activities. I do try to get at least one thing done on it during the week. I do remember the ride in yours. That was a fun time.

PaulR

I don't want to know how much I spend on hot rods. When it comes down to it, the money we spend on the parts for the car is only a fraction of ALL the money we have in them. If you figure grinding discs, drill bits, bolts, nuts, washers, sand paper, rags, thinner, electricity, and all the other incidentals, you can easily add 50% to the cost of building one. Every time we run out and buy some little parts at Home Depot or ACE Hardware we have $25 to $100 in a very small bag and we make those trips almost every time we work on our cars, it seems.

A few weeks ago we went to the auto paint store and bought the epoxy primer, Imron gold paint, and the necessary hardeners to paint just the engine in my Kids rpu and he walked out with a $271.00 bill. We still have more to buy to do the rest of the engine parts and transmission so he will have that much of a bill all over again. While we were there I bought a box of rags and some wax remover and spent another $ 60.

The only thing I can say is that it is still cheaper than owning a boat though.

Don

I don't want to know how much I spend on hot rods. When it comes down to it, the money we spend on the parts for the car is only a fraction of ALL the money we have in them. If you figure grinding discs, drill bits, bolts, nuts, washers, sand paper, rags, thinner, electricity, and all the other incidentals, you can easily add 50% to the cost of building one. Every time we run out and buy some little parts at Home Depot or ACE Hardware we have $25 to $100 in a very small bag and we make those trips almost every time we work on our cars, it seems.

A few weeks ago we went to the auto paint store and bought the epoxy primer, Imron gold paint, and the necessary hardeners to paint just the engine in my Kids rpu and he walked out with a $271.00 bill. We still have more to buy to do the rest of the engine parts and transmission so he will have that much of a bill all over again. While we were there I bought a box of rags and some wax remover and spent another $ 60.

The only thing I can say is that it is still cheaper than owning a boat though.

Don

Don. you are right on the money, incidentals--this and that really do add up.
Absolutely on track with your view on boats, I feel the same, a neighbor has soooo much money in his boat and the maintenance that goes along with it-- even more so he throws it in salt water from time to time. And plus he takes it out for the afternoon and has four hours to clean it up, not me..

you mean that giant hole in the water that we threw money into? yup. BTDT.

Russ

Since my wife, Nan, is a former bookkeeper along with being EXTREMELY organized, I know exactly down to the last penny what it cost to build both of my cars. I am very fortunate to have a wife like her, she not only helps on the builds but never complains about what I have to buy. All she wants is the receipt so she can record it and enter it into her "system."

Jim

I do what I do so I can have money to spend on my projects. What else is money for? To hoard away and give to your kids when you die? Yuk, not me...

Fordsbyjay is right. I once heard that the best financial plan is the one where you go broke hours before you die so your kids have to pay for the funeral.

I keep a spreadsheet of every expenditure on my T, it's certainly an eye opener. After all, it's only money - right? :>0

It's called--broke as hell, but enjoying every minute of it. The SMILE it puts on your face is worth 10 times what you have in your Bucket!!!
Bruce

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back