Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"YOU SPENT HOW MUCH??!!" and "Did you stick to the plan?"

mines just being built out of left over parts from other projects and swapmeet and ebay junk , not much new stuff in it ,except for the spirit body , and the mr roadster suspension

Lots of great comments. The purpose of me writing this thread was that I didn't realise how over my "budget" I had gone. From the start, I just KNEW I could pull this off for about $8K. If I had been able to get a kit, I probably could have. But having to save for every piece, doing some stuff myself and having friends who chipped in was part of the fun. It was probably safer as well. See, I'm the type who tends to rush when I have a goal in sight. If I'd had everything laid out in front of me, I probably would have rushed into it and either ruined something or (worse) skipped some things. Only being able to do things as money and time allowed, made me take my time and study each part and how it worked.

I'd never done anything this big before. I learned a lot about cars and myself. Stuff I never would have known without this experience. As for a plan, in my mind I'd built a T Bucket 10 times over. I had been reading magazines and listening to what others said for almost 34 years before I decided to build this car. It was just a matter of time.

As someone mentioned, it's the little things that we don't count on that explode the budget. Honestly, I don't think having a budget would have helped. If you're like me, the enthusiasim takes over and you find a way to get what you think you NEED.

I have two best experiences since getting into this. One was when PaulR came over and we went for a drive up and down the street. It was great to share the fun and besides, if you're gonna go in a bucket, might as well take a buddy with ya. (just kidding) Two was the first REAL drive. I remember I returned, parked, sat down, lit a smoke and just stared at Miss Behavin'. While I was happy nothing broke and I hadn't killed myself, there was also a void. A feeling of "what now?". I think that's why these cars are never done. There will always be "I think I need that".

So, for you guys doing this for the first time... keep going. Don't ever feel you can't do it. When it's all done and you get home.... pat yourself on the back. Then, find something else you can do to her. She is, after all, NEVER done.

Lots of great comments. The purpose of me writing this thread was that I didn't realise how over my "budget" I had gone. From the start, I just KNEW I could pull this off for about $8K. If I had been able to get a kit, I probably could have. But having to save for every piece, doing some stuff myself and having friends who chipped in was part of the fun. It was probably safer as well. See, I'm the type who tends to rush when I have a goal in sight. If I'd had everything laid out in front of me, I probably would have rushed into it and either ruined something or (worse) skipped some things. Only being able to do things as money and time allowed, made me take my time and study each part and how it worked.

I'd never done anything this big before. I learned a lot about cars and myself. Stuff I never would have known without this experience. As for a plan, in my mind I'd built a T Bucket 10 times over. I had been reading magazines and listening to what others said for almost 34 years before I decided to build this car. It was just a matter of time.

As someone mentioned, it's the little things that we don't count on that explode the budget. Honestly, I don't think having a budget would have helped. If you're like me, the enthusiasim takes over and you find a way to get what you think you NEED.

I have two best experiences since getting into this. One was when PaulR came over and we went for a drive up and down the street. It was great to share the fun and besides, if you're gonna go in a bucket, might as well take a buddy with ya. (just kidding) Two was the first REAL drive. I remember I returned, parked, sat down, lit a smoke and just stared at Miss Behavin'. While I was happy nothing broke and I hadn't killed myself, there was also a void. A feeling of "what now?". I think that's why these cars are never done. There will always be "I think I need that".

So, for you guys doing this for the first time... keep going. Don't ever feel you can't do it. When it's all done and you get home.... pat yourself on the back. Then, find something else you can do to her. She is, after all, NEVER done.

Man did you hit the nail on the head with that one!!!

Y'know, the big problem is when your wife adds up what you've spent on the car. My wife keeps doing just that-she's convinced I'm trying to replace the entire car one piece at a time...especially because, as she claims, it was a "finished car" when I bought it!

Y'know, the big problem is when your wife adds up what you've spent on the car. My wife keeps doing just that-she's convinced I'm trying to replace the entire car one piece at a time...especially because, as she claims, it was a "finished car" when I bought it!
Amen Brother !!!
Mine was a "Finished Car" when I bought it but by next summer , it WONT be the same car. LOL
She's confused as to why I find it necessary to have the car COMPLETLY disassembled on the garage floor and boxes keep showing up at the door. Fortunatly most of the "Funding" is from the sale of other projects so she wont see the total cost.

I also find that not setting a budget for a project means you can NEVER go over and that build plans are just guidelines. LOL

I live by these words............

Tis better to ask forgivness that for permission !

Well put, QuadBart! I've been selling stuff to help pay for mine, too, which also helps to make my wife happy because it gets rid of some of the "clutter".

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back