Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

283 pitfalls

HammerHead

Hi all -

I've been passively browsing for an interesting motor to rebuild, and ultimately put into a bucket. Not looking for anything too wild. Something to have fun with, and be somewhat dependable. Was basically watching for a giveaway deal on an intact 350.

However, I've come across a mid-60's 283 that looks interesting. Has anyone had recent experience with these? Sounds like it could be pretty unique. I've not heard of many being built. Just wondering if anyone knows if there are obvious down sides to this. Are parts as accessible for this as other sbc's? Are parts notoriously expensive? Any known traits to be aware of before deciding?? Sounds like a 350 is typically much better bang for the buck, but could the 283 be alright if you really didn't need that much bang?

Interested in hearing opinions and advice.

Thanks!
Steve

Hi all -

I've been passively browsing for an interesting motor to rebuild, and ultimately put into a bucket. Not looking for anything too wild. Something to have fun with, and be somewhat dependable. Was basically watching for a giveaway deal on an intact 350.

However, I've come across a mid-60's 283 that looks interesting. Has anyone had recent experience with these? Sounds like it could be pretty unique. I've not heard of many being built. Just wondering if anyone knows if there are obvious down sides to this. Are parts as accessible for this as other sbc's? Are parts notoriously expensive? Any known traits to be aware of before deciding?? Sounds like a 350 is typically much better bang for the buck, but could the 283 be alright if you really didn't need that much bang?

Interested in hearing opinions and advice.

The283 was on

Thanks!
Steve

The 283 was one of the first engines to produce 1 hp per cu.in. I believe it was in production from 1957 - 1967. In my opinion, a good choice for a T-bucket. Bore it to 301, put on a set of camel hump heads and you have a nice little 50's - 60's era hot rod engine.

Jeff

The 283 is a great choice for a reliable motor. In stock form a 4 bbl would give you 220 horses all day long. The aftermarket is basically the same as it is for the 350. I would causion you to buy one as complete as possible. The accessories change by application. The only other thing is the valves. They need to be updated for todays fuel.

Ron

The 283 is a great 'T' bucket engine, and if you don't plan to drive it too much, you could probably just run it stock for years before valve seat recession occurs. It will have plenty of go asis if you are not interested in racing... Lot's of cheap shinny stuff for them.

However, if you choose to use the powerglide, throw the cast iron one that comes with it in the big dumpster, and grab an aluminum case PG instead. They are far superior, much lighter, and super simple to rebuild. (Rebuild kits for less that $100 last one I did.) Better yet, sell the cast iron PG on Craig's list for $50. Even better yet, just don't haul the cast iron PG home to start with. Can you say "pig"?

You've been given the best info anyone can give in these short posts here. Only one thing you need to do. During your rebuild, have hardened seats and good valves installed....as the early motors don't have hardened inserts for the unleaded fuels.

I ran on of these motors in my pride and joy....a 60's shoebox nova with a tunnelram, 2x4's, rollercam, rollbar, wheeliebars, the whole thing. Drove it on the street everyday for over 10 years....and they're good motors. Real free winders....

I had it parked in the front yard....there were at least 2 people everyday stop, park their car and look at it.

The 283 is not a powerful motor unless you build it like that....but is totally reliable, dependable, durable....not expensive to build up if you want it, and speed / dressup stuff can be had cheap. It isn't a 350....but with very little money wisely spent can perform just as well. With something as light as a T, you don't need a ton of power, unless thats what melts your butter....

They are good motors, but it will cost just as much to build that motor as a 350. So I would say build a 350, you will get a lot more power for the same $$$$$. Don't even think about rebuilding those old cast iron heads. By the time you all the machine work and new parts put into them you can buy a set of aluminum aftermarket heads. They will save weight on the front end of the car and make a lot more power. Oh and then there is the resale value. A 283 with iron heads vs a 350 with aluminum heads, and you spent the same amount to rebuild either. Also on the 350 for about $200 more you can make a 383 out of it!

There are thousands of those engines around and tons of parts. I've had one in my T-Bucket for 30 years. I bought the entire car (1967 Impala) from a friend of mine for $100.00. That was the basis for my bucket. It is as stock as you can get with the exception of an aluminum intake with a 4 barrekl carb, a set of chrome headers and a Summit electronic ignition distributor (and a bunch of chrome goodies on the outside. It has plenty of power for a car like that. The heads are still stock. After this many years it could use a rebuild but,it still runs good!
My first roadster I built in the late 60's had a 360 horsepower 327 brand new from Nickey Chevrolet in Chicago. Way too much power for such a lite car!

Go for it. You'll be happy with the results.

I still don't understand why so many people want to put a Chevy engine in a FORD!!!! Get a Ford 302 from an Explorer with the G40P heads. Sure, ya do spend a few more $$$$ on parts but, a Ford car should have a Ford engine. A Chevy in a Ford...it just ain't right. It's like mixing your best sippin wiskey with diet pepsi.

My opinion and I'm sticken to it.

I still don't understand why so many people want to put a Chevy engine in a FORD!!!! Get a Ford 302 from an Explorer with the G40P heads. Sure, ya do spend a few more $$$$ on parts but, a Ford car should have a Ford engine. A Chevy in a Ford...it just ain't right. It's like mixing your best sippin wiskey with diet pepsi.

My opinion and I'm sticken to it.

If you have to buy anything after market for the ford it is double or triple the same part for a 350. 350's are like Harley's everybody and his brother makes parts for them and they have been the same for so long. My son has a 50 stude with a small block ford and I do not know what year. Every time we need a part it is a guessing game as to what year because ford finds it necessary to change stuff all the time for no apparent reason.

If it's a late 283 put the crank assembly in a 327 block and carry an extra pair of shorts with ya!!!!!!!

Ron

So, now we're back to a 302.......Hmmmmm seems Ford makes those. Ford parts do cost more, but not 2 or 3 x more. I know because I have one and I did notice the price difference. However, generic carbs, cams and such cost the same. Intake manifolds, headers, are maybe 20% more. Alternators, water pumps, stock engine parts are about the same. If ya keep it near stock, the cost difference is small. But, having the distributor in front is worth the money. Bet this will start a lively debate.

Good Afternoon, if I can add my .02 on hardened valve seats, if you are building a driver where full throttle and high load will not be an everyday occurance, non hardened seats is really not indicated. Cylinder temps really dont become a factor on a well tuned combo unless you are hot on the throttle hard for 1/4 mile at a time or so. Cruzining around with moderate throttle angles and shy of full load is really a moot point, in fact on a light t bucket, I'd be willing to bet that you could beat on it for next to forever and never sink a valve. The only reason to put seats in is if you are pulling a trailer or using it in a truck with heavy loads, IMHO. I've tore into my share of smallblocks and the hardened seat thing is more myth than truth IMHO.

I was going to add also, the only pitfall to the 283 are the early models without pcv, beware of the road draft tube, it will smoke you out with unburned vapors

So, now we're back to a 302.......Hmmmmm seems Ford makes those. Ford parts do cost more, but not 2 or 3 x more. I know because I have one and I did notice the price difference. However, generic carbs, cams and such cost the same. Intake manifolds, headers, are maybe 20% more. Alternators, water pumps, stock engine parts are about the same. If ya keep it near stock, the cost difference is small. But, having the distributor in front is worth the money. Bet this will start a lively debate.

Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff, is what I was told.

That will make it a 302, but last I checked the only pistons for it were 12.5 racing pistons. Things may have changed but check before you do that. They will turn a lot of RPMs real quick.

Doesn't that make it a 307, Grandma's favorite engine.

Bob

Doesn't that make it a 307, Grandma's favorite engine.

Bob

I believe 307 would be a 327 crank in a 283 block. 302 is 283 crank in a 327 block. BTW, boring a 283 out .125 to 302 spec can find water in some cases, and overheat in many more. .060 (292) is about the safe limit IMHO.
283 is a fine engine in any case. if you can get it for a reasonable price go for it.

Russ

If you have to buy anything after market for the ford it is double or triple the same part for a 350. 350's are like Harley's everybody and his brother makes parts for them and they have been the same for so long. My son has a 50 stude with a small block ford and I do not know what year. Every time we need a part it is a guessing game as to what year because ford finds it necessary to change stuff all the time for no apparent reason.

What a load of BS. If you are buying quality parts SBF are pennies more then a sbc. People just think sbc's are cheaper because of rumors spread by people like yourself that don't know what they are talking about. Just because you don't know squat about Fords does not make them bad. And last time I checked Harley parts were expensive as hell.

The engine I was refering to was the '67 to '69 z/28 302 cu.in, 290 hp SBC. Quoting from memory here, 11:1 comp ratio with a 4 x 3 bore and stroke. As of a few years ago, the pistons where still available from a number of sources. Cam was also sold by the guy behind the local bow tie parts counter as well as aftermarket outlets. I have a friend with a '68 Z/28 with around 30,000 on it. I got as wide eyed the last time I rode in it as I did the first time, the day after he changed the break-in oil in '68. Yes Mr. Bill it's a 302 but the two engines are like comparing apples and oranges. JMHO

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back