Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

700r4 shift kit opinions needed

Keeper

I am in the process of fixing/tweaking things for this season, and one of the items was replacing the trans pan and fixing an annoying leak at the TV cable.

Well since I have the pan off already and not being really happy with the stock, really soft shifts. I am going to install a shift kit of some sort.

I do not want the neck snapping stage 3 kit, I am just looking for something that lets me know the trans has actually shifted.

So what are you running and how do you like it?

Can't help out much on the shift kits. The guy that built my 700r said he had done something to improve shifts, but didn't say what. He removed all electrics from it, is all I know for sure. It shifts smooth for normal driving, but if I hammer down on it, it has a real solid shift. I have been quite happy with it after about 4000 miles.
Lee

Lee,

Is there any way you could contact the builder for details?

Thanks,

Mark

I will see if I can find him. He moves around a lot it seems. If fact, I want to get another 700r built up just in case I start another project, or need a replacement.
Lee

I don't know the kit my trans guy used, but I had him set it up for the lowest level of improved shift firmness(towing and RV level). I also had a Corvette servo installed on the band and told him to make sure it had all the clutches and steels he could get in the clutch packs.

Some transmissions intended for lower horsepower cars and trucks only have enough clutch plates for that application.

I rebuilt this unit myself, when I did it I installed the upgraded clutch pack, band and the corvette servo. Its shifts fine, its just soft. Transgo seems to be the most popular, as the kit allows you to pick how firm you want the shifts, B&M and TCI seem to be more geared to racing and the shifts will snap your neck it city driving.

I think I will look at the transpak kit and report back in a couple of weeks when its back on the road.

I had mine rebuild. Just got what the builder told me to get.
order a 700R4 Corvette Servo & Boost Valves kit from https://www.700r4l60e.com
and got new band, filter, front and rear seals from O'Reilly auto.

He said I would like the way it shifts.
Of course I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Can't seem to get my car back together. Upgrades and all. :)

I just had a 700r4 built, with the upgrade kit and it is supposed to be set up to shift firm. It is being installed today by a local hotrod shop, should be driving it by this week end. The guy that rebuilt is in Springfield Mo. and advertises on Craigs list. I was told by some other tbucket owners that his work is excellent. I will let you know how this works out.

With anything other than a stock motor, its best to go with a shift kit of some sort, OR, Theres quite a few trans shops that will do a little mod to your valve body plate for a few dollars. This small amout will allow your shifts to be firmed up a good bit, taking alot of clutch pack wear out of the equation....
Firmer shifts= better gas mileage, less clutch pack wear, less heat buildup. If you have a little stall in there, the smiles will be a plenty....

Yeah I reading a bunch and watching a ton of youtube videos on the subject, but since I need new gaskets and everything anyway, the kit would be a good choice.

Most of the mods seem to be pretty straight forward:

Drill some bigger holes
Remove some springs
Remove some check balls

I am not looking for tire chirping shifts, I just want to know when it does shift, now its pretty soft all the way through.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back