Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Air cleaners

ChestersAlive

I look at all the plain jane round air cleaners on roadsters that were picked up at Auto-Zone simply because that was the quick way out, and I remember another method (inexpensive) that I have used for an eye-catching alternative to these. I cut the bottom from a stock air cleaner right where the outline of the filter is. (You can wrap a piece of chrome vinyl door edge moulding around the raw edge to keep from cutting your fingers) set a new air filter on it, and measure the diameter of it. Now go to one of the little stores that sell used hubcaps. What I do is get a hubcap of the right diameter and, with my 4 1/2" die grinder cut the crap off the back, so it will set on top of the filter right, and drill a 1/4" hole in the center for the tie down stud. As you look through the hubcaps, try to imagine what they'd look like with black and your car color in the designs that were stamped in them. Most have been stamped out of stainless steel, which can be polished out like chrome. Ace Hardware sells cloth wheels and polishing compound sticks for the different materials you want to polish, these mount on any bench grinder or electric motor. You clean the wheel by touching it with a screwdriver as it spins. If you don't like it, toss it in the garbage, it cost next to nothing to make. Just a different idea. Chester

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back