Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

anyone running a chevy v-6?

I put a 2.8 5-speed from a mid-80s Cammode into a 1970 MGB/GT. I sold the car before I finished it but the general consensus at the MGExperience forum is that the 3.4 is the way to go. That's where the 'wimpy' term came from. I can't speak from experience. I have a video clip of an MGB with a V-6 laying down a good patch of rubber so going from 85 hp to 160 has its performance benefits. There is a shop in the Belton, MO area that sells 60 degree speed parts for the roundy round crowd down there. The have cams, Edelbrock intakes, stroker kits and a myriad of other bits and pieces to make this little motor run real strong.

do you happen to know the name of the shop in Belton?

does the 3.4 and the 2.8 have the same bell housing pattern?

No. The 4.3 is a std Chev V-8 pattern, 60* V-6 bellhousing only fits the 60* V-6 (well... and Northstars odly enough
<
)

Northstar T

My understanding is that you must be careful and match the right flywheel or flex plate for the right engine. Different balancing or something?

I know 3.8 and 4.3 are a 90* v6 and 2.8,3.1,and 3.4 are 60* so would a carbureted intake for a 2.8 fit a 3.4? What about a non computer controlled distributor?
Northstar T is that a fiero receiving the 4.3?

I know 3.8 and 4.3 are a 90* v6 and 2.8,3.1,and 3.4 are 60* so would a carbureted intake for a 2.8 fit a 3.4? What about a non computer controlled distributor?
Northstar T is that a fiero receiving the 4.3?

As noted earlier, I really don't know much about the 60* V-6 motors, but I would think that most parts would interchange on any of the pushrod versions. As to balance, I believe GM went to internal balance in 88 on the Fiero version, but other applications may not have.
Yes. the 4.3 shown went in my IMSA Fiero. I pulled it out a few months later and instaslled a Northstar however. I sold the V-6 engine and it's in another Fiero now.

Russ

I am building a REO Woody and have aquired a 1992 Astro Van. It has a 4.3L V6 "W" engine which is has CPI and eye brow heads. The guys in the boat forums said this is the best 4.3L (1992 -1994 "W" engine). It has the old style 12 bolt intake. I plan on using an Eldebrock 2111 intake, 2" carb spacer, 600CFM Holley and a large cap HEI dist. The boat guys claim they can get about 290 HP out of this engine with the stock roller cam which is the best factory cam made for the 4.3L. The factory specs say 200HP but the offroad guys have gotten 230HP with the stock CPI in stock trim. With a little head porting and grinding I am hoping for about 275HP.

The van was a great deal as it also has a 700R4 trans which has low mileage. I have talked to some offroad guys and they think this is a good setup for a street rod. I saw this thread and thought you might be interested.

TC

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back