Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Assembling an engine in the cold?

Keeper said:
Only problem with that is the 3 steps to get into the house!

Keeper said:
I should have said stairs. I have 3 steps from the garage to the house, not an option for building the engine inside. I would never get it out again.

lol, saw the first post and though "no, the problem isnt the 3 steps in, its the 3 steps out later on" ..... but you covered that you in your next post

i know a guy thats building a entire single seater plane in his basement, his plan is to brace the basement stairs, disconnect them from the house and lay them on the basement floor, lay down a long pallet. strap the fuselage on top, then jack the stairs back into place and push the fuselage / pallet up into the kitchen

Keeper said:
lol..that is way to much work my luck, I would drop it somewhere along the way and either break the walls, stairs, engine or all of the above.

Dont forget...yourself. Murphy is a sadistic bastard

Back in my senior year of HS (1999), I was using a come-along strapped to a pipe hanging between 2 pieces of steel bridgework in a small shop as an engine lift (I KNOW I KNOW). My plan was to lift the engine up, lower it almost to the floor and bolt it to my M21. Then, BACK up and roll the car over to stuff it in the subframe of my 72 RS Camaro (no fenders or front clip)...Well if toying with the release on a come-along with 500+ pounds dangling from it with your fingers a hairs breadth from the reel isnt butt-puckering enough; the longblock started to SWING. Stupidly I grabbed the face of the block to...I dont know I guess stop it. Well that failed spectacularly (Im still only 146pds) and my iron block 383 with edelbrock aluminum heads (no intake and carb) met my M21 with a loud *CLACK* and I looked down to see my hand was sandwiched between the 2 pieces. I just about threw up; no shame here. The stainless steel band I wore on my middle finger was JUST thick enough that I kept all my severely bruised fingers but had to have the ring cut off of my middle finger. I still have it somewhere. I used to keep it in the shop as a reminder.
Guys; watch what youre doing...complacency leads to missing body parts

Back to cold engine parts...BUILD IT!

Yeah well I was 17. Want to hear the kicker? My dad used to be a shop teacher. To say he was imnpressed; would be an understatement.
"Nice job D*ckhead, did you learn anything from this? The EMTs were impressed with the bait bucket full of water and cans of beer from the fridge to keep my hand from swelling. :eek:

We've all done dumb stuff in the interest of hurrying.

HOWS THAT FROZEN ENGINE COMING?

Well I got out into the garage. Went to start the heater and realized it was WAY to cold out there. So I went inside cut some brackets (see the cutting 3/8 post) Then watched some football!

I will be doing it this weekend when it is not -10 outside brrrrrrrrr

Thats why it was so nice to do my 302(old car) in the unused bedroom nice and warm and close to da fridge.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back