Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

tfeverfred

So, here is the intro to my new build. First, her name. Why would I name a Hot Rod after the victim of one of Los Angeles most infamous unsolved mysteries? Because she's gonna get painted black and I like the name "Dahlia". That's my story and I'm sticking to it. As most of you know, when it comes to building these cars, plans can change with each wind shift. Nothing is set in stone. But here's what I want.

A T Bucket with a slightly nostalgic feel and as much HP as I can afford. On that note, a few things I have planned may seem like over-kill, but it's because I don't want to find a bad ass motor and not have a strong platform to handle it. Next, wish bones in the front instead of radius rods and ladder bars for the rear. Ron's got some great ideas for a set, but I'll let him introduce them.

The body will be a stretch design. My first T Bucket took a few road trips to get used to, interior wise. This time, I want to sit a little lower and/or have some more leg room. Interior color will be red.

Wheels and tires, I'm not sure yet. My wallet is saying chrome reverse, but my heart wants something more El Mirage inspired. We'll see what happens. No wide white walls, this isn't a custom.... it's a Hot Rod.

So, that's it in a nut shell. Now, here's a video that I have used in the past to keep me inspired.

So, here is the intro to my new build. First, her name. Why would I name a Hot Rod after the victim of one of Los Angeles most infamous unsolved mysteries? Because she's gonna get painted black and I like the name "Dahlia". That's my story and I'm sticking to it. As most of you know, when it comes to building these cars, plans can change with each wind shift. Nothing is set in stone. But here's what I want.

A T Bucket with a slightly nostalgic feel and as much HP as I can afford. On that note, a few things I have planned may seem like over-kill, but it's because I don't want to find a bad ass motor and not have a strong platform to handle it. Next, wish bones in the front instead of radius rods and ladder bars for the rear. Ron's got some great ideas for a set, but I'll let him introduce them.

The body will be a stretch design. My first T Bucket took a few road trips to get used to, interior wise. This time, I want to sit a little lower and/or have some more leg room. Interior color will be red.

Wheels and tires, I'm not sure yet. My wallet is saying chrome reverse, but my heart wants something more El Mirage inspired. We'll see what happens. No wide white walls, this isn't a custom.... it's a Hot Rod.

So, that's it in a nut shell. Now, here's a video that I have used in the past to keep me inspired.

A lot of what you've and the video said rings true to me...and what I'm aiming for with my build...especially "plans can change with each wind shift. Nothing is set in stone." My current plan is for a stretched body car with Tweedy Pie proportions, in post WWII Modified to Track Roadster transition style.

I have no problem with professionally built 6 or more figure cars...or customs, street rods, tuner cars, off-road machines, sports cars, or what ever. All have examples of rolling art, engineering wonders, and/or awe inspiring performance...and they all can be sources of inspiration or even hard parts. But they are not what trips my trigger. What works for me are cars that are a product of an individual's vision, inspiration, planning, scrounging, and preferences. Where I've found that most is among the folks building their own hot rods.

Zandoz, it seems were kinda thinking along similar thoughts, when it comes to T Buckets and maybe Hot Rods in general. My experience is this: What peaked my interest and pulled my trigger were the show cars and magazine cars I had seen and read about. While they kept me interested, they also kept me from attempting to build one. For the longest time, years, I thought that a Hot Rod had to be blown, candy painted and chromed out. My lack of knowledge put them out of reach financially. I just didn't know any better.

But one day, while considering building my T Bucket, I ran across those "Rat Rod" folks and while I didn't get the desire to have a rusted out car, I did embrace the idea that you could have fun with old cars without all the chrome and trick paint. Enter, imagination. I have found that some of the coolest cars are the ones where the owner/builder used details to make his or her statement.

I'm a starving artist and mid way into my first build, my gal asked me why I hadn't drawn anything in months. Before I could answer, she answered for me. She said, "Oh. I get it. THIS is your new form of expression." That always stuck with me and while I do illustrate sometimes, for my own pleasure and for my friends, I tend to focus that self expression into my T Bucket. That's why I really don't care if anyone else "gets it". It's MY thoughts and ideas and I'm the only person I need to please. Unfortunately, that also causes me to over think some things and spend countless hours looking at pictures and reading the build threads of others, but I can live with that.

The original Black Dahlia was a 1936 Ford roadster. Pretty slick ole hot rod, although kinda plain.
Lee

From my perspective, the high dollar, publicized cars are cool, but unrealistic for most guys who actually get their hands dirty, like me. I build cars, old cars and remodel houses for the fulfillment of accomplishment and to have something different than everyone else. Nothing against cover sheet cars or model homes, just not very motivational to me. If it were about spending money instead of doing the work, what's the point? I don't want one that someone can go buy just like it. I hope I don't offend anyone, that's not my point. I grew up with just enough cash to pay my way through life. I drove used cars that I fixed, and always managed to have a hot rod that I built from used parts, salvage parts, and by being able to figure out how to do things other guys couldn't do or wouldn't pay for. I learned how to do most everything from those experiences. The same is true in the building trades. If someone puts forth real effort and does the work, even if I am not into their vision, I can appreciate their creation and workmanship. Sometimes I get pretty amazed by what they come up with. Build what you like, and make it the way you like it. It's ok to get ideas from others, just don't clone them. Put your style and name on it!

The original Black Dahlia was a 1936 Ford roadster. Pretty slick ole hot rod, although kinda plain.
Lee

That's exactly what I'm planning. Plain and quicker that sh*t through a goose.

Ron's frame may be here Wednesday. Please..... stand by.

Zandoz, it seems were kinda thinking along similar thoughts, when it comes to T Buckets and maybe Hot Rods in general. My experience is this: What peaked my interest and pulled my trigger were the show cars and magazine cars I had seen and read about. While they kept me interested, they also kept me from attempting to build one. For the longest time, years, I thought that a Hot Rod had to be blown, candy painted and chromed out. My lack of knowledge put them out of reach financially. I just didn't know any better.

But one day, while considering building my T Bucket, I ran across those "Rat Rod" folks and while I didn't get the desire to have a rusted out car, I did embrace the idea that you could have fun with old cars without all the chrome and trick paint. Enter, imagination. I have found that some of the coolest cars are the ones where the owner/builder used details to make his or her statement.

I'm a starving artist and mid way into my first build, my gal asked me why I hadn't drawn anything in months. Before I could answer, she answered for me. She said, "Oh. I get it. THIS is your new form of expression." That always stuck with me and while I do illustrate sometimes, for my own pleasure and for my friends, I tend to focus that self expression into my T Bucket. That's why I really don't care if anyone else "gets it". It's MY thoughts and ideas and I'm the only person I need to please. Unfortunately, that also causes me to over think some things and spend countless hours looking at pictures and reading the build threads of others, but I can live with that.

Yup....a lot of what you say rings true for me....I just took a different path to get here.

My first exposure to the hot rod mags was my uncle's collection of old mags from the 50s, when I was in my pre to early teens. To my memory, the owner built cars were as or more prominent than the wild show cars. When I started buying hot rod mags on my own in the early 70s, I quickly lost interest as the content became more and more outrageous. When I came back to the hot rod scene a couple years ago, I was very disappointed that the state of the media was even worse than back then. It almost lead me to abandon my project. Actually, it was this forum that turned things around for me.

From building custom bicycles when I was a kid, 20+ years designing computer systems, several years doing custom RVs and van conversions, and 15 or so years designing new homes and remodels...I'd always had creative outlets. Before a prof convinced me to switch to computers, I started out college majoring in Industrial Design, with the idea of getting into Automotive Design. 5 years ago health issues left me with nothing to do, creative or otherwise. With the support of my wonderful wife, this project has given me purpose.

With your first post, I think you kinda described my own car...but definately described my feelings on the subject.
Hope you have a great build experience and later on, many awesome driving experiences Fred! :D

Yahooo, a new build starting!!!

Well, it looks like it's gonna be Friday, now. Ron sent me tracking info and I'm ok with things I can't control, so I'll just keep biting my nails and yelling at the guys at work.... LOL

Fred, where are ya going to build this one?

A question I'm very happy to answer. I have a great friend, who has a repair shop. On the second floor of his shop, he had an efficiency apartment built a few years ago. That's where I live and that's where I'll be building my T Bucket. So, I have a 100' x 400' garage with a lift and over $200,000 worth of tools to play with. He's also been working on and hot rodding cars, since he was a kid and he's 70+. I'm reasonably confident, this T will come out nice. Actually, it's going to be badazz, but I'm not the type to brag on my skills or abilites.

You'll get a better idea, when I post pics.

Last edited:
UPDATE! Now, the shippers website shows my frame arriving in Houston tonight being delivered tomorrow. I knew this build would move rather slowly, but I seriously hope this isn't a forecast of future developments.:(

Let's watch a movie, while I wait.

Last edited:
And so, it begins........... Rons frame arrived, while I was at work today. When I arrived to the shop, my land lord had it setting on jack stands, ready for the fun to begin.
A word about Rons frame.......QUALITY. I'll grind the weld down this weekend and mark where I'll attach brake line tabs. The length is 100" at the end of the front cross member and 105" at the end of the perch.

full

I had a spare set of perch bolts, so this makes the official start of the build.

full

I should have had Ron make the area past the kick up a few inches longer, to provide a larger area for my gas tank. But a beer and some thought provided the perfect solution. Stay tuned for that.

full

Last edited:
Reactions: RPM
All you lack now is finishing !:roflmao:;)

Reactions: RPM

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back