Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Bought another 8.8 rear

Ttownbucket

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I had previously purchased an 8.8 rear out of an Explorer for use in my future T project. The original rear has 4.10 gears and is limited slip. The Explorer rear has the offset diff with one short tube and one long tube. I want to swap out the long tube and axle with a short tube and axle. So, today I went to the salvage with a couple of my buddies and pulled another 8.8 out of an explorer. This one is a 3.73 limited slip. Both are disc brake rear ends, but the one I pulled today has all of the e-brake hardware and cables. Pretty excited to get started rebuilding the shorty 4.10 rear and will probably sell the 3.73 LS to recoup some of my cost.

Very nice! I actually just decided to keep the funky offset in my rear when I did my Explorer 8.8"/4.10/Posi rear end. It gives the car some more character. LOL I may eventually build and even length rear for it in the future.

Very nice! I actually just decided to keep the funky offset in my rear when I did my Explorer 8.8"/4.10/Posi rear end. It gives the car some more character. LOL I may eventually build and even length rear for it in the future.
So does the 8.8 have a centered pinion, with an offset pumpkin? The s10 rear I intended to use has a centered pumpkin but offset pinion. I'm afraid the offset pinion is going to take up too much space in the car with the pinion offset. It's going to make my driveshaft tunnel 2 1/2" wider which is leaving less room for the seats.

The 8.8 has an offset pinion on the passenger side. About 2 inches I believe. It's OK for a 27T that has a 29" drive shaft. For some the shaft may be too short for the offset. Other will comment I'm sure.

The pinion and whole center section are offset to one side. The axle on one side is a couple inches longer than the other.

What Andy said. I want to keep the wheelbase as short as possible and I am afraid with as short as a driveshaft as I hope to have, the offset will be too much for the U-joints to handle. Plus, with two short side axles, I will have about the width I want on the rear.

My driveshaft is at quite the angle...but seems to work just fine. It was something I was going to try out, and if it didn't work I would do something about it then. No problems thusfar.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back