Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Bucket Engine

The price on a set of those spider caps is insane! I don't want chrome so for me its nothing or spend a fortune to just scuff the sh$# out of them and powder coat them. A little powder coat on the front hub nut cover and paint on the rear axle will fix that for now

I was planning on those rims as well, they are some of the few you can get 12" for the back and 6" for the fronts.
I am a bit bitter about the cost of those center caps as well, they are almost the same price as the rims.

For the look I wanted, the savings made up for the caps. Win/win.

I'd really like to find an old set of rockets,or the like and repurpose them. I need to drag myself to some swap meets with a list. I'm sure they are out there. I only need two for the rear, the fronts are spindle mounts.

:) Got it. Thanks.

These are the wheels I bought for the bucket, Crager Series 69. After about a year of looking at wheels and getting thoroughly disgusted at the cost of a wheel I settled on these. I did not order the spider caps, and not sure if I will due to my severe "chrome" allergy lol. About $240.00 for all 4 wheelsView attachment 12209I also have a gallon of 54' Chevy Surf Green acrylic urethane paint for the body. Plan is to satin black everything except the body.

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if there is some kind of raw magnesium looking powder coating available. If you want something other than the black finish.

I like the surf green...very close to the color I'd be using if my dad was still around. 53' Pontiac Linden Green with 53' Pontiac Spruce green trim. As is, I'll be using these Color Scheme.jpg

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if there is some kind of raw magnesium looking powder coating available. If you want something other than the black finish.

I like the surf green...very close to the color I'd be using if my dad was still around. 53' Pontiac Linden Green with 53' Pontiac Spruce green trim. As is, I'll be using these View attachment 12216
Almost the same color, I'm just using a single stage urethane, not into the flashy chrome and clear coat kinda stuff. I changed my mind a few dozen times and decided to go with a color from the early years so I picked it and ordered it, no more mind changing. I have plenty of powder coat for the wheel centers just kills me to pony up the cash for them lol. top left color paint.jpg

Almost the same color, I'm just using a single stage urethane, not into the flashy chrome and clear coat kinda stuff. I changed my mind a few dozen times and decided to go with a color from the early years so I picked it and ordered it, no more mind changing. I have plenty of powder coat for the wheel centers just kills me to pony up the cash for them lol. top left color View attachment 12217

I've always liked the soft light greens, but in my project's case the pale green with dark green trim fulfills a promise I made my dad 35+ years ago. For special reasons, from 1953 on light/dark green were his favorite car colors. When ever I was going to have a car painted he would lobby for that combo. The last car I had painted other than original factory color(s) was back in the late 70s...at that time I promised dad that the next car would be his 2-tone green combo.

I'm not into the chromed out bling look...but I'm also not into the primer look. My original hope was to go with natural stainless or aluminum wherever chrome would usually be used. I had to back off that a bit because the frames of the Brooklands windscreens I want to use only come in chrome. Then the headlight bezels were chrome. Then for continuity I got chrome bezel taillights...then the rear view mirrors. So far I've been able to hold my ground against chrome at that point...LOL.

The Plastidip that I'll be using for the pale green on the body will be somewhere between flat and satin. The dark green will definitely be used on the non aluminum engine parts...where else is undecided.

I'll start a wheel thread in the proper section. Sooooooo........:D How much H.P./torque you gonna try to get from that LS engine? Any details yet?

I'll start a wheel thread in the proper section. Sooooooo........:D How much H.P./torque you gonna try to get from that LS engine? Any details yet?
I have a good article on a 5.3 truck engine that they left stock bottom end, changed cam, valve springs, and changed to Edelbrock Performer Intake and 650 barrel cab and got 415 hp/396 torque. Basically I'm going to do the same thing except I doubt I'll ever dyno it. Here's a link 415HP From A Basic 5.3 LS Engine!

I have a 5.3 in one of my trucks. Stock it was rated at 320, it's a good engine. Runs strong and a nice power band. Pulls good, easy on fuel, and suprizingly fast for a full sized 4wd truck. I would build one with no hesitation, but I have too many old school parts to start over, lol.

Mine came out of a 2000 GMC truck used for mudding. I had plans on a conventional SB but after researching the LS engine and having one available it seemed like a good idea. The block was broken but with the deal Summit had on blocks I couldn't pass it up DSC_0328.JPG

I thought they may be ugly but not so muchglam01-1600x1365.jpg ....................

The cathedral ports really improved flow. I have always been hesitant to embrace new designs, but they done good on this one! When I went to the Daytona 500 two years ago, there was a good wrench display with their newest offerings. The 427 aluminum small block was a very cool engine. If money was no issue, I'd have one!

I think the LS engines look pretty good in our cars

20160714_184954_zps8vpyccla.jpg

a>

20160714_184954_zps8vpyccla.jpg

Thanks Jeff. I didnt want to build a show car. I wanted to build a driver. Found the frame on craigslist the end of March and this is what i ended up doing with it.

Thanks Jeff. I didnt want to build a show car. I wanted to build a driver. Found the frame on craigslist the end of March and this is what i ended up doing with it.
Exactly, I'm building a driver. We have as many dirt roads as we do asphalt and I plan to use them all LOL....dirt washes off!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back