Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

CCR frame plans

jeffery said:
So Ted you are the one and only person responsable for making the plans for the CCR plans. Which i like the one i was able to get and am going to use this design too. I like the information you have provided me to read and it seems to me that you are and have built a lot and have had a great time doing this too! Do you have a picture of the rearend setup with the coils in front of the rearend? I want this one im building to hook up and out run a few of the hipo mustangs that run down Lindeburg here in missouri.The last time i need is to melt the tires off and not bet these teenagers to the next light.I so want to show these kids that old guys can have fun too ;)
My email address is: vhable3201@sbcglobal.net
Thanks to you all on this forum!!!!!
Vince
Hehe, race a hipo Mustang, they are not a race AT ALL!! not even close, they have nothing out of the gate.. BUT; remember this, I said I never lost a drag race, that is from a dead stop, that is really the only place a T has the real big advantage,,, You let a BBC, even in a big sedan, get across the interection, and then race, you just may be in for a surprize... they are now close to even, as Big inch engines don't care much about how much weight they carry, once moving, the trick is getting it off the line, now thats where the a T rules...(one that is set up correctly that is) I had both at the same time, and I did a lot of street racing for a short while... But I was lucky enough to be able to test all this on the strip... on week days... with Pro cars.. Have fun... :lol:

But you are running a BBC and i'm going to build this 420 HP SBC.SBC may just be a little harder to beat the stang across the street.But i think if i run a 9" ford rearend and set up 2 different ratios like one for the street 513's and the other for the highway.i just am wanting to have some fun huh? :)

Ted Brown said:
Hehe, race a hipo Mustang, they are not a race AT ALL!! not even close, they have nothing out of the gate.. BUT; remember this, I said I never lost a drag race, that is from a dead stop, that is really the only place a T has the real big advantage,,, You let a BBC, even in a big sedan, get across the interection, and then race, you just may be in for a surprize... they are now close to even, as Big inch engines don't care much about how much weight they carry, once moving, the trick is getting it off the line, now thats where the a T rules...(one that is set up correctly that is) I had both at the same time, and I did a lot of street racing for a short while... But I was lucky enough to be able to test all this on the strip... on week days... with Pro cars.. Have fun... :welcome:

Ted ,
if youve never lost a dragrace, your not dragracing..

I spent better than 10 years drag racing on the street and that many running cars I built for pro racers on the strip... I have raced many a real fast Bike and many blown cars as well... I hit it one night againest my painter, as he had a real strong blown engine in His Camero, He told me the next Day that I left him so bad, as if He was not even on the gas.. and He told me He wins all the time... what can I say?? Hard to beat light weight that sticks. I will never build another street car, with racing in mind. Although, it does handle better this way... Good luck :welcome:

I used to do a lot of street racing also. I also never lost. You just have to pick your competion wiseley.

Like claiming that the 406 in you 66 nova is the original 283. That the 850 double pumber is realy a 650. That the powerglide in it is stock instaed of a manual shift full race unit.

Yep I never lost either, just picked my races.

I did not ever pick my races, I only finished them... :welcome: Ask anyone that ever raced my car... If you pick a race, you BETTER well win, or it would be very embarrassing, not so if the OTHER guy asks for it... :) PS, They only got one chance to beat me, at the right stop light, and right time, I just said, at the green, do your thing... I did my thing... loved it too :)

Anybody that's never lost a race just hasn't raced long enough. There's always a faster gun just waiting to be tried!

George

thats what i'm talking about floyd..

when i was younger friday and saturday night in my town was race nights.. people come around from other towns looking for certain folks , sooner or later you always got beat. either you just got beat, or something broke and nitrous backfires suck :lol:.

Most street racers are just that, street racers, the only way they are ever going to win, is to get their chassis setup by a (winning) drag race chassis builder... and still it takes the right combo, like one night we/Doug took the (newly painted) black car out and street raced it, (with mufflers) before it was lettered... He beat everybody by just what it took to win. That was a big money night and lots of fun.. :hide: PS, I did not have to race Him, Thank God.. :)

Ted, you stated that u r running your coils in front of your rearend?
(I run my coils in front of my rear end, I changed it when I put in the BBC engine, just wanted to make sure there would be no tire burning, as that slows you down and gets all the wrong type of attention)
I want mine to launch w/o smoking the heck out of the tires.Dont want the attention either.
You got a drawing for the setup or a picture?
Thanks, Vince

I have a blown BBC in my bucket (dyno'd 627 hp) with a pair of QA1s behind the diff. Wheelbase is 105 inches

Ladderbars are about 3 foot long and I run 31.5*19.5*15 Mickey Ts on the street and Hoosier QT Pros on the strip.

Car just grips and goes. No wheelspin, no issues.:D

Hot Rod Todd; Car just grips and goes. No wheelspin, no issues.

With that much traction do you have any wheelstand problems?

Jeff

Hot Rod Todd said:
I have a blown BBC in my bucket (dyno'd 627 hp) with a pair of QA1s behind the diff. Wheelbase is 105 inches

Ladderbars are about 3 foot long and I run 31.5*19.5*15 Mickey Ts on the street and Hoosier QT Pros on the strip.

Car just grips and goes. No wheelspin, no issues.:D

WOW lotta meat on the street for sure.
Todd

Ted Brown said:
The only upgrades I would make to the CCR plans today is, I now use a much longer front spring, 20" longer, and it runs between the radius rods, no falling to the ground if anything fails, and a much smoother ride... and I mount the rear springs (coil) in front of the rear end, much better leverage... I could flat foot my big block chevy out of the gate, and not spin a tire, with that engine, I never lost a drag race, never, by anything... and 4 bar type bushings at all ends, I use no solid ends like Heims on radius rods... Just me... :)

But what i was trying to ask was do you have a picture of the undercarriage? The setup for the (in front of the rearend coils). Sorry if i'm asking to many questions but i do so want to get it RIGHT the first time and not have to do the (old redo) over and over again.

Ted,
Thanks for your patience, Vince

I have no issues with wheelstanding either. Having said that, somedays, I wish I did tho. :) Car weighs in at just under 2500 lbs and thats without me in it.

Car is currrently getting a bigger engine built (540 cubes and the 671 this time) so I may be able to report changes next summer - its autumn here and our last drag meeting was last week so this season is gone.

Can ran high 9s with a 650hp 454 before I got it. But that engine wasnt streetable so I fitted a basically stock 454 with blower pistons and the 671 and got down to 10.2 @132. And its very streetable - 3000 miles the first summer.

jeffery said:
But what i was trying to ask was do you have a picture of the undercarriage? The setup for the (in front of the rearend coils). Sorry if i'm asking to many questions but i do so want to get it RIGHT the first time and not have to do the (old redo) over and over again.

Ted,
Thanks for your patience, Vince
I will go out and take a pic or two, as She is up on stands at the moment... Don't forget She is a work Horse, not a show car... :)

I will really appreciate the pictures and yes i understand the work horse :D mine may not be a looker when i get it done but it sure will scare the pants off of some of the cars here in saint louis....LOL

jeffery said:
I will really appreciate the pictures and yes i understand the work horse :D mine may not be a looker when i get it done but it sure will scare the pants off of some of the cars here in saint louis....LOL
Vince, I always have a problem with up loading my pictures here, so I just made a new album on my MySpace pic page, my rear suspension, dirty lookin and all, but She works great, sits a bit crooked, left overs from the big block days... Kinda glad them Days are over, with all the radar they are using now days AND nights, I hear... Just could not afford a ticket like that... I love to drive too much to take a chance on loosin my ride ticket.. hehe Have fun, and don't get caught, but if you do, DO NOT LIE or try to get out of it... :):twisted:

O.K., I give up! I've been looking at this photo and trying to figure out what the pieces are that are between the tubes in the middle. Looks like a nut and a shaft that might screw into the tube that has the rubber (?) bushing and sleeve on the other end. ???

TedBrownRadiusRods.jpg

Probably one of them "speed secrets" that helps him win all of them drag races! :D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back