Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Chevy Truck Axle Question?

fluidfloyd

Does anyone know what the '49-'54 Chevy truck axle kingpin/spindle angle is? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,

George

fluidfloyd said:
Does anyone know what the '49-'54 Chevy truck axle kingpin/spindle angle is? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,

George
George, I take it you do not have either an axle or a set of spindles? as I know you will have no trouble finding out what they are, as we both set up the axle jigs the same way... :lol:

Ted,

You are correct as I have neither. I have some eyeballs out looking but right now I'm really just seeking information fo possible use. I try to put everything into an autocad data base then I can insert various parts and get a visual and mechanical model. I'm still thinking about several suspension options and won't really get started till this winter depending on economy and work load. As to building front axles...To build one or two, it's much easier to just buy one from RPM. I'll get there.

George

If you're going to use drum brakes look for a set of passenger car spindles. They have the 5 lug bolt pattern. The truck has 6 lugs. Check your sorces for bearings before you buy your spindles. Some of them are spendy. RPM sells the repo ford spindles with the king pins. You will also have many more brake options with them.

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the response. I am just thinking out loud at this time and if I decide to go with a Chevy spindle I will use the OEM axle. It's all based on how I spring it and I really haven't decided yet. I'll get my hands on a complete front axle assembly and then lay it up on my chassis table for a walk around and think session. I probably have given or thrown away 6-7 of these axles over the years. Never fails, when you want one you can't find one. Again, thanks for the information.

George

I thought the passenger cars were independent front ends? Those spindles as well as the truck models were still used on solid axles if I remember correctly.

GAB said:
I thought the passenger cars were independent front ends? Those spindles as well as the truck models were still used on solid axles if I remember correctly.

Yes, the '49-'54 passenger cars did have independent suspension, but the spindles still had kingpins.

Bob

I used olds spindles on a straight tube axle. a guy I knew put the olds drum brakes on a 39 chevy you should have a choice of almost any pattern for wheels

The king pin angle is 9 degrees. We prefer the Chevy spindles over the Ford and find them much easier to work with. A lot of other folks must do that also as we sell a lot more Chevy spindles and axles than we do the Ford. The car spindles and truck spindles are different. The only difference is the bolt holes for the backing plate to bolt to.

We have both Chevy and Ford spindles in stock as well as complete front brake kits for either spindle.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back