Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

cooters T bucket build

do I put a wood floor in truck bed or leave floor out for fuel lines and battery cables and trailer hitch?
032_zpsptoblwbz.jpg

Again, lines & proportion. The top of the bed should run parallel to the top of the body. I would fit the bed to a flat piece of ply wood, mount it to a comfortable height, sturdy table, and then trim, reinforce, and finalize before attempting to mount to body. And yes I would look into using plywood to form the "flooring" of the bed. Don't rule out simply running a nice spun aluminum or steel "vintage" type gas tank (rectangle or oval).

John

Actually , I think the bed should be parallel to the frame so, parallel to the bottom of the body.... depends on what is in the bed , by the time you get a tank & battery in there , won't be much room left for a floor...
dave

Again, lines & proportion. The top of the bed should run parallel to the top of the body. I would fit the bed to a flat piece of ply wood, mount it to a comfortable height, sturdy table, and then trim, reinforce, and finalize before attempting to mount to body. And yes I would look into using plywood to form the "flooring" of the bed. Don't rule out simply running a nice spun aluminum or steel "vintage" type gas tank (rectangle or oval).

John

I think that you mean the top of the SIDES of the body. The top of the body is at the rear and mounting the box at that height would look rather odd. IMHO

Jim

I side with Jim on this - we set ours parallel with the sides- but set it where you like it best. As for floor, I'm still a fan of a floor- not sure how you are mounting the battery, but if you can put it elsewhere, that will free up some needed room for an overbite bag, a small cooler, etc.

What I meant was that the top of the bed should be parallel to the top of the body. Installed height is up to the builder. The present apparent install has the lower lip of the bed attached to the bottom of the frame extension. With the present photos and the angle that they were taken it appears that the bed is mounted too low. No ?
If the line from the dash running back to where the rise in the back starts is angled in relation to the line on the bottom of the body then let your eye and what you like be the determining factor.
Again, photos taken from 3 feet away are basically useless for determining sight lines for frame, body, headers, manifold angle, etc., etc., etc.. Have to get the car outside, on a level piece of concrete, stand back 50 feet and look at it. Take a few pictures. Drink a beer. Take your time.
That sure is a flimsy looking bed.

John

What I meant was that the top of the bed should be parallel to the top of the body. Installed height is up to the builder. The present apparent install has the lower lip of the bed attached to the bottom of the frame extension. With the present photos and the angle that they were taken it appears that the bed is mounted too low. No ?
If the line from the dash running back to where the rise in the back starts is angled in relation to the line on the bottom of the body then let your eye and what you like be the determining factor.
Again, photos taken from 3 feet away are basically useless for determining sight lines for frame, body, headers, manifold angle, etc., etc., etc.. Have to get the car outside, on a level piece of concrete, stand back 50 feet and look at it. Take a few pictures. Drink a beer. Take your time.
That sure is a flimsy looking bed.

John
I gotta glass the bed to body. I think a wood floor will build strength. I channelled body do i figured the bottom of truck bed should be even with bottom of frame rails? Hide frame.

So i should set bed on top of frame rail?

If you raise it to what we said you should still be able to hide the frame rail behind the curve that is on the bottom of the bed side. Having it sit on top of the frame rail will not look good. Also, be sure that the bed is level with the body when viewing from the rear. You can then install the floor the same way that you did on the channeled body and still have room for a tank an battery. You could also make more room in the bed by installing the battery through the floor and under the seat as many guys have done. IMHO

The piece of advice that John gave you is the same that I've told many guys here. You MUST get it outside on level ground and stand back a ways and look at it. If it doesn't "profile" right, it "aint" right.

Jim

So i should set bed on top of frame rail?
Cooter, if you can "c" clamp the bed below the frame rail, cant you "c" clamp the bed above the frame rail ? Just to see what it looks like ?

Question to Jim - what is the body line that runs from the dash back to the beginning of the rise in the body called ? It runs vertically across the top of the door to the back.

Doesn't Ron have a combo gas tank/battery box set up for that bed ?

Push it out into the light and check it out.

John

Cooter, if you can "c" clamp the bed below the frame rail, cant you "c" clamp the bed above the frame rail ? Just to see what it looks like ?

Question to Jim - what is the body line that runs from the dash back to the beginning of the rise in the body called ? It runs vertically across the top of the door to the back.

John
Takin pics outside now. I be right back with some pics. Looks like crap "C" clamped on top.

John
Takin pics outside now. I be right back with some pics. Looks like crap "C" clamped on top.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back