Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

cooters T bucket build

049_zpstxmm1pjv.jpg

060_zps80hokyxf.jpg
as you can see the there is a lip that hans down in back. are you tellin me I should raise bed to where bottom of frame rail is even with bottom of lip? this will make bed deeper and will still cover some frame. I will have to cut the fiberglass around fraim rail to clear. my frame is touching tailgate inside now.

Cooter, if you can "c" clamp the bed below the frame rail, cant you "c" clamp the bed above the frame rail ? Just to see what it looks like ?

Question to Jim - what is the body line that runs from the dash back to the beginning of the rise in the body called ? It runs vertically across the top of the door to the back.

Doesn't Ron have a combo gas tank/battery box set up for that bed ?

Push it out into the light and check it out.

John

That is called the belt molding as far as I know, John.

Jim

looks like the rear of the bed is too high .
dave

I don't think that the rear is too high so much as the front of the bed is tilted down. If you were to draw a line, with a piece of string perhaps, and run that up to where the dash panel meets the belt line you'll probably see that they are almost exactly were things should be as we spoke to you about in the posts above. If they are, then you'll have to modify the front of the bed to match the curvature on the rear of the body. As it is now it looks like the car is bent. IMHO.

Jim

I don't think that the rear is too high so much as the front of the bed is tilted down. If you were to draw a line, with a piece of string perhaps, and run that up to where the dash panel meets the belt line you'll probably see that they are almost exactly were things should be as we spoke to you about in the posts above. If they are, then you'll have to modify the front of the bed to match the curvature on the rear of the body. As it is now it looks like the car is bent. IMHO.

Jim
Bed is nose down bad. Your right about reshapeing to match body. I think bed needs to start from right here. I'll keep rear c clamped and bring front up to line you speak of.

Viewed from a profile, the embossed rectangle on the bed should match the embossed door on the body, angle for angle. It appears that that can not be achieved without re-contouring the edge on the bed that corresponds to the body contour. That would require that the mating edge on the bed would have to be slowly removed on the bottom until the door, bed rectangular reinforcement, and the bed belt line were all lined up.
Nobody ever said these things were easy. If they were, everybody would have one.
If you have solidly mounted the body and everything lines up (body/frame relationship) then maybe the polished aluminum gas tank or a vintage tank is the way to go. The relationship between body/ bed can drive one nuts.
A bodyman friend of mine once said you only look at one side at a time. The body can be off an inch or more and nobody will know the difference.
If it gets to hair pulling time go with an external tank.

John

YEAH, 1000 posts YEAH !!!

I
Viewed from a profile, the embossed rectangle on the bed should match the embossed door on the body, angle for angle. It appears that that can not be achieved without re-contouring the edge on the bed that corresponds to the body contour. That would require that the mating edge on the bed would have to be slowly removed on the bottom until the door, bed rectangular reinforcement, and the bed belt line were all lined up.
Nobody ever said these things were easy. If they were, everybody would have one.
If you have solidly mounted the body and everything lines up (body/frame relationship) then maybe the polished aluminum gas tank or a vintage tank is the way to go. The relationship between body/ bed can drive one nuts.
A bodyman friend of mine once said you only look at one side at a time. The body can be off an inch or more and nobody will know the difference.
If it gets to hair pulling time go with an external tank.

John

YEAH, 1000 posts YEAH !!!
THATS RIGHT!!!! I see a lot of these T buckets with the bed tilted just like mine looks now. Lol. I done thought about the door/bed moldings being matched up so as the eye doesnt focus on it. Kinda like haveing a pic on wall crooked. OCD and perfectionism is BAD!!!! Thank yall. I'll keep postin pics and tweakin. When majority rules it is right ill bond floor,firewall, bed snd bed floor all up.

O.K. here is my last shot on this.
Leave the body where it is.
Slide the bed back while bringing the front up until the vertical door lines are parallel with the bed's reinforcement lines.
Slide the bed forward until the bottom edge touches the body contour.
The space at the top will tell you how much to add or subtract from the bed edge to get everything to align and snugged up.

John

Last edited:
O.K. here is my last shot on this.
Leave the body where it is.
Slide the bed back while bringing the front up until the vertical door lines are parallel with the bed's reinforcement lines.
Slide the bed forward until the bottom edge touches the body contour.
The space at the top will tell you how much to add or subtract from the bed edge to get everything to align and snugged up.

John
In process now. I read your mind. Right side worse than left side. On way to TSC for more C clamps.

The top of the pick-up bed should be parallel and close to even with the top edge of the body where the doors are. The car will look bent if it isn't.
Not sure why the bed does not have a flange that mates to the body correctly, seems like that would be a no brainer. Maybe it is best to get the bed from the same manufacture as the body. With our (CCR) bodies/beds there is no adjusting the beds up or down, they go where they go and only fit properly in that place.

Attachments

• Bed Lid Latch, inside bracket 2.jpg
    Bed Lid Latch, inside bracket 2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Slicktrack Roadster photos szd(17).jpg
    Slicktrack Roadster photos szd(17).jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Long Door Body  20 inch Bed (4).jpg
    Long Door Body 20 inch Bed (4).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 52
  • CCR Pickup Beds szd.jpg
    CCR Pickup Beds szd.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 48
The top of the pick-up bed should be parallel and close to even with the top edge of the body where the doors are. The car will look bent if it isn't.
Not sure why the bed does not have a flange that mates to the body correctly, seems like that would be a no brainer. Maybe it is best to get the bed from the same manufacture as the body. With our (CCR) bodies/beds there is no adjusting the beds up or down, they go where they go and only fit properly in that place.
The bed and body are both from RPM. I agree that it would be much easier putting together like your ser up is. I have angle iron across bottom of framerails for bed to set on with shims on front toward body to make adjustments. Ill roll it outdide in morning and re evaluate my body lines.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back