Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Covid Project - 80's Project T-Rod

Replaced a freeze plug...and got the engine block id on the 302. Appears to be a '71 Mustang 302 "Mexican Block". The left front of the block appears to have the "nodule" that Mexican blocks are known to have.
IMG_4349.jpg

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4357.jpg

Got the shock/headlight mounts welded on...and ended up getting new pulleys to utilize a (1) V-belt system. For the alternator, I used my old alternator internals with a new chrome kit. I went ahead and replaced the bearings and brushes while it was torn apart. You can still purchase the bearing and brushes from Rock Auto (surprisingly).
IMG_4394.jpg

IMG_4395.jpg

Nice work, Randy. Your box looks like it hangs kinda low. Is it above the scrub line?

PS - I was dumb enough to polish my tranny (TH 350) but when assembled, you can't even see it! Just rattle-can it and forget it. :cool:

17 Power train2b.jpgcoil.jpg

I’m thinking it’s ok. The pitman arm is sitting higher than the front solid axle and the oil pan. The pitman arm works nice and smoothly. The tie-rod move nicely in between the batwing clevises. I thought through this scenario pretty well.

Got around to sawing off the old "sleds" from the older Total Performance body.

Attachments

• IMG_4432.jpg
    IMG_4432.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4431.jpg
    IMG_4431.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4403.jpg
    IMG_4403.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 73
Got the shock/headlight mounts welded on...and ended up getting new pulleys to utilize a (1) V-belt system. For the alternator, I used my old alternator internals with a new chrome kit. I went ahead and replaced the bearings and brushes while it was torn apart. You can still purchase the bearing and brushes from Rock Auto (surprisingly).
View attachment 22673

View attachment 22674
Where were you able to locate the chrome kit for the alternator? That’s a good idea and I hadn’t considered that as an alternative. By the way, there’s a place in Texas that you can get alternator and starter parts from. I used them to rebuild my Astro alternator. They’re reasonably priced too.

It's been a few months, but I thought I would update my progress. I bought a brake pedal assembly and modified it to fit appropriately. I had to do the same for the mounting bracket. It was pretty close quarters with the shifting linkage installed. Once it was temporarily mounted, I ran the new rear brake lines. I had to fabricate a bracket off the frame for the proportioning valve.
IMG_4438.jpg

IMG_4439.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg

IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_4481.jpg

IMG_4654.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

Fabricated up a steering linkage mount using a piece of steel pipe and a 3/4" heim and welded it to the frame. Welded and mounted on the radiator lower mounts and the front brake line mounts.
IMG_4673.jpg

IMG_4686.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

IMG_4674_1.jpg

Finally, I was able to clean and degrease the engine block and frame. I used rustoleum professional and brushed on the paint. Overall, it turned out ok. I know...it's not Ford Blue....I wanted it to stick out, so I went with the "sunset" red. The paint scheme with the final fiberglass body paint will look better. Ford blue wouldn't look near as good. I'll pull the valve covers and strip and polish them up at a later time.

IMG_4711.jpg

IMG_4710.jpg

IMG_4716.jpg

IMG_4718.jpg

Where were you able to locate the chrome kit for the alternator? That’s a good idea and I hadn’t considered that as an alternative. By the way, there’s a place in Texas that you can get alternator and starter parts from. I used them to rebuild my Astro alternator. They’re reasonably priced too.
I found the kit on Ebay...it looks like it's a product of "rodspeedracing". Here's a link to their store. rodspeedracing | eBay Stores

Alt_ChromeKit.JPG

alt_store.JPG

Thank you for the link. I'm going add them to my list. Seeing your progress makes me envious. Got a new position at work and now I'm too tired to do anything when I get home. I guess the iron in my blood is turning to lead in my ass... Thanks for the progress reports!

Thank you for the link. I'm going add them to my list. Seeing your progress makes me envious. Got a new position at work and now I'm too tired to do anything when I get home. I guess the iron in my blood is turning to lead in my ass... Thanks for the progress reports!
New position... Ben Dover further? Sorry, been years since I worked for other slave drivers besides myself. I still remember!

If that is copper line on the m/c I not sure that will work. I would not be comfortable with it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back